Depth Charge, anyone?

SurrealistSurrealist 218 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
My favorite Depth Charge records were "Queen of the Scorpion", "Disko Alien", the "Nine Deadly Venoms" LP (especially "Bounty Killer", "Dead by Dawn" and "Han Do Jin"), and "Poison Clan 95". b,121b,121I also thought the "Beat Classic" compilation was en pointe. Does anyone else on here have any Depth Charge records and if so, do you find yourself playing the records in the context of a more eclectic mix or "big beat" mix? Thoughts?

Comments

• love Beat Classic

• yeah, it was great how everyone just totally missed that one. Not sure how many copies were pressed, but it rocked all the way through! The album cover photo was amazing too...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Depth Charge is awesome. Nine deadly Venoms was my shit back in the early 00s when i disocvered his stuff and started seeking out all his older sruff. Bounty Killer with all the western samples is sooo dope - the way the soundtrack samples and spoken word stuff gels so well is really what makes his music. I'm trying to remmeber this phrase that kicks in on one of his tracks on that disko aliens double 12" pack.. the beat is straight facemelt

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i managed to get a couple of copies of the shaolin budda finger back in the 90's but havent come across any more stuff since, might have to keep an eye out

• b,121I've only got the Nine Deadly Venoms LP

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I heart the entire catalogue, one of my favourite EDM artists. The early singles are cool but I especially like Lust I & II, the whole package was a slamdunk. He's got balls to put out music that's so inaccessible.b,121b,121There's not that much DC stuff you can play out cause it's so dark and soundtracky.b,121Robotomo's good for breaky electro floors while Blue Lipps got that tweaked Lenny Williams bassline.b,121b,121b,121I think Kane's retired from making music ?

• Nine Deadly Venoms is OUTRAGEOUS. One of the BEST from that era, smoking anything on the other Labels. Sooo Dark and heavy... it was a tough one to play out though just cus it was different. I wish more music was being produced these days that's like Depth Charge, anyone still producing good heavy breaks? Why's everything soft?

• long-time fan and supporter of DC and DC recordings...

• img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Nine Deadly Venoms is OUTRAGEOUS. One of the BEST from that era, smoking anything on the other Labels. Sooo Dark and heavy... it was a tough one to play out though just cus it was different. I wish more music was being produced these days that's like Depth Charge, anyone still producing good heavy breaks? Why's everything soft?
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121absolutely!...it was hard to track down his records even around '96, so you can imagine how stoked I was when I walked into a record store one day and they had secured not one but TWO DC records I had ordered...b,121b,121I love Nine Deadly Venoms because it has that signature DC cinematic style that no one else seems to do even half as well...I have actually played "Han Do Jin" out several times, and it's always cool when you hear that dialogue, "I'm Han Do Jin, Hang Wong's son"...I wish I knew what movie he sampled to make "Queen of the Scorpion"..("about two miles North of here there is a witch")...If you like DC, you might also like the "Pussy Galore" comp from the Pussyfoot label (same timeframe, roughly)...b,121b,121In the past I've heard good things from The Bassbin Twins and the Wall of Sound label, and there is another guy named Deckwrecka who had some great great records, but none of that tops DC for me...and if I wasn't listening to DC, I was listening to Les Rythmes Digitalles...(that first LP with the doctor in a white lab coat, can't remember the name of it)

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Bounty Killer with all the western samples is sooo dope - the way the soundtrack samples and spoken word stuff gels so well is really what makes his music. I'm trying to remmeber this phrase that kicks in on one of his tracks on that disko aliens double 12" pack.. the beat is straight facemelt
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121I'm all the way with you on that Bounty Killer assessment. Those are the exact same reasons I still love that track...at the end, when all you can hear is the whip being cracked and the man yelling you almost want to hear some really hard '89 hip hop blended into the soundtrack sample.b,121b,121I didn't know there was a Disko Alien double pack...I have the 10" "Disko Alien" release - with "100 Taels" on the flip...can't remember the phrase you referenced, but I will go back and listen to it again.. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/green30sv.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/raw.gif" alt="" 21

Werd... I'm gonna pull it out tonight (no homo), but I just remembered part of it, it's something like, "all I want is money... and I don't care how I get it" and the beat drops in after that and it's straight img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hard2.gif" alt="" 21 like those crunching drums that make the speakers sound like they're about to implode.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121Werd... I'm gonna pull it out tonight (no homo), but I just remembered part of it, it's something like, "all I want is money... and I don't care how I get it" and the beat drops in after that and it's straight
    img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hard2.gif" alt="" 211like those crunching drums that make the speakers sound like they're about to implode.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lvl.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/game.gif" alt="" 21

a href="http://www.discogs.com/release/26757" target="_blank"1http://www.discogs.com/release/26757b,121b,121This is the release I'm talking about - it's called Disko Vixen, anbd the track on it I mentioned is called The Princess and the fly girl" and it's freakin' awesome.b,121b,121The phrase is "You'll never get me again. I got a new plan, and all I need is money.. and I'm getting that money" and the guy says it such a western cowboy tone it's so awesome. Someone upload thaT SHIT!