David Sedaris NRR

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
I didn't see any threads about him when I searched.b,121b,121I think he's funny. When I'm upset at my family, and I threaten to write a book about them in the future, I have David Sedaris' brand of humor and wit in mind.b,121b,121I've read a few books, and though I don't laugh as much as I did when he was new to me, I still think he's a really great humorist.b,121b,121Any other fans?? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21

Comments

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I didn't see any threads about him when I searched.b,121b,121I think he's funny. When I'm upset at my family, and I threaten to write a book about them in the future, I have David Sedaris' brand of humor and wit in mind.b,121b,121I've read a few books, and though I don't laugh as much as I did when he was new to me, I still think he's a really great humorist.b,121b,121Any other fans?? img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21 b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I have similar sentiments. Up until when I first read Naked, I had never reacted to anything I've read by keeling over and gurgling, having boogers flying out my nose. That book destroyed me (as did MTP1D)...my friends would come over and find me crying, shaking, unable to talk, stuff like that. I definitely don't laugh anymore because I ended up reading those two books too many times and since then haven't kept up. I also wasn't crazy about Holidays on Ice. But his family observations and stories can't be beat.

• An ex-gf forced me to read Naked initially against my will. It was fusking INCREDIBLE! Some of the funniest shit I've ever encountered in book form. Haven't read any of his other books yet, although I've been meaning to for awhile. I'm sure they're great as well.

• - Fan

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Absolutely.b,121b,121The man is hilarious.b,121b,121and his take on a Dutch xmas is fuckin spot-on.b,121b,121object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1

• I've only read excerpts from his books but I've caught him many a time on NPR, so funny.b,121b,121He's also great when he does book readings.

• I first read Sedaris for a creative writing course in college a couple of years back. He instantly became one of my favorites. Has anyone read his latest, "When You Are Engulfed in Flames"? I still have to check that out.

• He's great. I love reading his stories but prefer listening to them on CD. His readings are priceless.

• His rendition of some ad from his childhood in the voice of Billie Holiday is not to be missed. Great speaker.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121Has anyone read his latest, "When You Are Engulfed in Flames"? I still have to check that out. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Yes. b,121b,121It is his worst book.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121His rendition of some ad from his childhood in the voice of Billie Holiday is not to be missed. Great speaker. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121That's in the story 'Giant Dreams, Midget Abilities' from Me Talk Pretty One Day. Classic.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I've really liked Sedaris in the past but at least based on his stuff in the NYer, he seems to be writing on fumes these days.

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121I've really liked Sedaris in the past but at least based on his stuff in the NYer, he seems to be writing on fumes these days. b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I loved the spider story he had in i1The New Yorker[/i].