KZSC Santa Cruz Fall Record Swap - Nov. 15th!

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited September 2008 in Announcements
On Saturday, November 15th, KZSC will be hosting it's bi-annual record sale at the Merrill College Cultural Center on the UC Santa Cruz campus. With over a dozen dealers and strutters selling and trading records, in addition to thousands of records being purged from the KZSC library.b,121b,121Doors open at 10 AM. ADMISSION IS FREE.b,121b,121If anyone is interested in selling, let me know on the PM or email a href="mailto:brendanib@gmail.com"1brendanib@gmail.com Tables are $35, $60 for two. If you live in Northern California and want to sell off some records, particularly cheaper stuff, this is the spot. Hungry grippers and college students for DAYS.b,121b,121For finds and photos from last year, check this thread:b,121b,121a href="http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=991594&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1" target="_blank"1http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1b,121b,121Hope to see many of you there.

Comments

• Doh... I'll miss this one... that's the day I leave for Brazil. img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jeigh.gif" alt="" 21

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    UPDATE:/b1 Due to a scheduling conflict, we were forced to bump the swap a week back to November 15th. Sorry about the confusion. Get in touch if you're interested in selling!

• Look forward to this. Made it to the last one kinda late, but still scooped good shit. I'mma be on time this time, though.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i wish your shows were on sundays... ill never make it down to one! maybe the next lifetime... have fun fellas.

• I'm going to be up in the bay that weekend, how far is the drive from SF? Is it going to be worth it to rent a car, pay for gas and check out the show or should I just save my money and spend my money at the Groove Merchant?

/font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I'm going to be up in the bay that weekend, how far is the drive from SF? Is it going to be worth it to rent a car, pay for gas and check out the show or should I just save my money and spend my money at the Groove Merchant?1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121I mean, you're not going to find the mint in the shrink grail-type pieces like you will at Chris', and I don't know what you're after, but I honestly think our show is worth stopping through, especially if you like cheap records and aren't just into the expensive sh*t. It's a little over an hour to drive from SF to Santa Cruz.b,121b,121So basically, spend your money at the Groove Merchant first and then if you have some scratch leftover, by all means come on through, PM if you want in early.

• /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121
    /font1
    /font1
    h,121
    b,121I'm going to be up in the bay that weekend, how far is the drive from SF? Is it going to be worth it to rent a car, pay for gas and check out the show or should I just save my money and spend my money at the Groove Merchant?1
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1
    b,121
    b,121I mean, you're not going to find the mint in the shrink grail-type pieces like you will at Chris', and I don't know what you're after, but I honestly think our show is worth stopping through, especially if you like cheap records and aren't just into the expensive sh*t. It's a little over an hour to drive from SF to Santa Cruz.
    b,121
    b,121So basically, spend your money at the Groove Merchant first and then if you have some scratch leftover, by all means come on through, PM if you want in early.
    b,121
    b,121
    h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b,121Thanks, I'm going to see how the weekend plays out before making any decisions. 1I'm not only into the expensive sh*t but I am very picky when it comes to condition (space related).

BUMP! Got a lot of interest in this...hip-hop sells really well here if anyone is looking to unload, or buy. Might even have some guest DJs spinning as well.

are there still tables open? if so... ima see if i can get the day off. i really need the dough!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    You oughta try and make it Justin. It was great for getting rid of stuff last time. I practically had to close up my boxes on still digging fingers just to get out and get something to eat at 2 or 3'oclock.

so for those that have seen my sad crates and have sold in sc in the past is there something i should bring more of? less of?b,121b,121i just feel like my crates are boring and really do not know whats happening in the record world these days.b,121b,121any help would be appreciated and i promise not to bag on you as much when im in sc.

I felt like I had pretty bottom of the barrel stuff, so I was doing two for 5 bucks and got rid of a good 300-400 records. It was a lot of college kids that just wanted basic stuff. If you have normal rock records, stuff like Tom Waits or whatever that shit will fly out the door.

when i see you crinkleb,121b,121BAERHUGTIME!!!b,121b,121img src="http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a352/justin74/baerhug.jpg"1

Yo! Justin! You should really make it down. We all did great with our cheap boxes. If you have cheap hip-hop that is well known, it will sell. If you have bad latin or soul records, they will sell. Cheap jazz? Sold. Just load up the car with classic and simple stuff, and then a bag of niceness for the foreigners who might show up (they did last year).b,121b,121Oh and by the way, I got word at ARC that two of our better dealers will be coming, in addition to some ex-DJs selling cheap hip-hop.b,121b,121Starting on flyers once I get caught up with school this weekend.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    the 15th works for me. I will have boxes of unlistenable underground hip hop for the santa cruz massive to feast on. How early do sellers need to be there?

We'll be there to start loading in a bit past 7 AM. Doors don't open till 10 though, I'd shoot to get here around 8:30, give or take a half hour either direction.

• Are tables still available for this?

Post deleted by spelunk

I should add that given the SS/Waxidermy presence that it looks like we're going to have, if you have some nice pieces to sell/trade, I think there will be enough ballers there to move some real heat.

The response I've been getting recently has been huge. People are coming out of the woodwork to sell - I wouldn't miss this if I were you. I knew we were at least as good as KUSF last time, this time I know we'll be better.

do we have to pay in advance or when we get down there?

Pay in cash when you get down here.

Space is filling up quick, we might have to cap the table spaces at some point soon. Holler if you want in.

Here's the official and updated list of sellers:b,121b,121HCrinkb,121Reynaldob,121Meb,121Marub,121Musica_del_almab,121Arjunab,121Shitzrb,121Tick-Ticklerb,121Jinx74b,121San Jose Mikeb,121San Jose Joeyb,121LNemierb,121Charlie Langeb,121Marc from SCb,121John Sandidgeb,121Rockit City DJsb,121Raf Oneb,121Rwkparkb,121Matt LeBlancb,121Ken Sandersonb,121Scott Route 66b,121KZSCb,121KUSPb,121The Krateb,121Streetlight Records (i.e. CDs)b,121Metamusicb,121Deejay_OMb,121HairyBelfonte

I should also mention for you sellers that we get a pretty high number of people after CDs at our sale, so if you've got those to unload it's worth bringing them as well.b, 21b, 21b/wb,121b, 2127 dealers!

how many boxes fit on a table?b,121b,121is there wall space? extra $$$?b,121b,121can i open sealed records from other dealers since i deal as well? what if i just open crinkles records? would that be okay?b,121b,121is there going to be coffee or tea provided or should i just bring my own 40s?b,121b,121can we smoke weed on campus or should i just get high beforehand and look high?

You can open my records anytime, big fella.

/font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121how many boxes fit on a table?b,121b,121is there wall space? extra $$$?b,121b,121is there going to be coffee or tea provided or should i just bring my own 40s?b,121b,121h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 215 Boxes on a table.b, 21b, 21Wall space is limited but doesn't cost extra and you and your life partner seem to want it so it's yours.b, 21b, 21We will have coffee and pastries, and there is a halfway decent taqueria (Santa Cruz standards though) across the way. You should really just rock the beer koozie like that one guy did last year who ranted to me about how Wu-Tang records shouldn't cost more than $8 while drinking his Natty Ice.b, 21b, 21Really though, since it's a campus facility as much as I'd like to bring beer for everyone we can't be as relaxed as other places.

Two more things:b, 21b, 211) We are hiring a flyering service to hit up all of Santa Cruz and make sure people show up.b, 21b, 212) We just got permission to setup tables the night before, so we will truly be ready to go in the morning as opposed to last time which consisted of me running around putting up tables last minute because the facility manager showed up hungover and late. I am putting all of the Waxidermy/SoulStrut contingent together, and will try to put the right folks together (I already got multiple request from people not wanting to be next to Justin due to his odor though).b, 21b, 213) LARRY ISN'T COMING! (according to inside sources at least)

• /font1
    Quote:/font1h,121b,121b,1213) LARRY ISN'T COMING! (according to inside sources at least) b, 21b, 21h,121
    font class="post"1b,121b, 21I saw him at the Newark show and convinced him to come. Don't want you guys to get too soft.