Russell Brand @ The MTV Awards: Anyone Cop?

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
Apparently he didn't go down too well...b,121b,121"American Idol winner turned chart-topper Jordin Sparks was so incensed by a joke about Christian band Jonas Brothers that she launched her own tirade at the host.b,121b,121The teenage singer, who wears a ring symbolising her belief in abstaining from sex until marriage, snapped at Brand: "I just want to say, it's not bad to wear a promise ring because not every guy and girl wants to be a slut, OK?"b,121b,121Brand, a self-confessed sex addict known for his huge hair and boundary-pushing act, apologised for the crack but later went on to make another bawdy joke.b,121b,121Yet to really break America, despite a role in spring rom-com Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Brand was considered an odd choice for host, a role previously filled by A-listers including Jack Black and P Diddy.b,121b,121Acknowledging the criticism, Brand joked about his lack of fame in the US: "My persona doesn't really work without fame. Without fame, this haircut could be mistaken for mental illness."b,121b,121Today, his name is much better known. While the event was hyped as the platform for Spears??? return, Brand almost overshadowed the pop singer in the post-awards press coverage.b,121b,121The LA Times wrote: ???The 2008 VMAs were poised to mark the return of Britney Spears. Instead, they will go down in history as the night when that English guy from Forgetting Sarah Marshall almost made the Jonas Brothers cry.???b,121b,121The New York Times were appreciative of Brand???s turn, saying the ???manic, intelligent English comedian, injected the show with politics (pro-Barack Obama), raunch and philosophical musings.???b,121b,121But others were less charitable. The Chicago Tribune wrote that ???Nobody quite knew what to make of the opening monologue of wild-haired host Russell Brand???, while MTV???s online message boards were besieged by confused and outraged Americans.b,121b,121One message read: "Why is it that Brits think the rest of the world doesn't get their humour? The myth is a tired excuse for lack of humour."b,121b,121Another said: "Russell WHO? I didn't realise this show was an Osama (sic) campaign rally. This British nobody looks like he was pulled from the ranks of the homeless - with his unshaved look, rats' nest hair-do and foul mouth." b,121b,121His book was funny as f*ck though.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That video is so good.b,121b,121I just read that MTV article and I have no idea what it's talking about or who any of the people are.

• Quote:h,121b,121That video is so good.b,121b,121I just read that MTV article and I have no idea what it's talking about or who any of the people are. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121Seriously. I'm sitting there with my wife and I'm all "Who the fusk* are these people?".b,121b,121I like Brand. b,121b,121Jordan who, exactly????b,121b,121Little "role models" can go fusk themselves, or even better, someone else.b,121b,121b,121b,121*NOTE: Have not actually started using "fusk" in real life (yet...)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121That video is so good.b,121b,121I just read that MTV article and I have no idea what it's talking about or who any of the people are. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121b,121Seriously. I'm sitting there with my wife and I'm all "Who the fusk* are these people?".b,121b,121b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121That was half the fun, though--if you didn't know who somebody was, you got to make up your own story about them.b,121b,121Russell Brand was clowning. b,121b,121Wayne-n-Pain were looking a little light in the loafers. b,121b,121"And now, to introduce the nominees for hip-hop video of the year...Slipknot!"

• I watched this over a couple of beers cause the internet was out... whole shit seemed rigged like crazy. b,121b,121Brittany winning all those awards... everyone thanking the shit out of god... slipknot... I loved that Slash laughed as he opened the envalope saying lincoln park won won best rock for some synth pop ballad..

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• b,121he's an odd bastard but funny.b,121b,121I like this oneb,121b,121During his innuendo-laden opening monologue, Brand discussed the upcoming US presidential election, publicly backing presidential hopeful Barack Obama. b,121b,121"Some people, I think they're called racists, say America is not ready for a black president," he said. b,121b,121"But I know America to be a forward-thinking country because otherwise why would you have let that retarded cowboy fella be president for eight years. b,121b,121"We were very impressed. We thought it was nice of you to let him have a go, because, in England, he wouldn't be trusted with a pair of scissors."