New Lyman Woodard, Dennis Coffey record!

gambitgambit 906 Posts
edited September 2008 in Announcements
Cut right to it and click the images for links to his eBay store. Or you can read the silly description I use for non-record collector forums.b,121b,121SP of Starving Artists Crew "fame" created an album that was funded by a label in Japan. Instead of making a cost-effective record by recording everything in-house with no guest appearances so he could move to Hawai'i and live in seclusion, he decided to make the most ambitious record ever realized by a Detroit artist.b,121b,121After intense soul-searching and thousands of frequent flyer / highway miles later, he came up with this:b,121b,121b,121b,121In a nutshell, SP sampled only Detroit records. When I say Detroit records, I mean records produced, released and/or compromised of Detroit-based labels and/or musicians. Any avid record collector can tell you that there is plenty to work with in that context beyond the easy picks (ie, Motown, Bob Seger).b,121Then SP contacted quite a few of the original musicians that played on the records he sampled. He got them to meet him in a studio to accent the beats he created with their tunes. Mind you, he didn't have them just replay the parts; he didn't have them just do random solos over his tracks either. He had them beef up his production to make it more lush in sound. b,121He got in touch with over 10 jazz, rock and funk musicians that were major players in Detroit back in the 60s and 70s, but SP only kept the best work. His final product contained contributions from Dennis Coffey (read: man behind "Scorpio"), Lyman Woodard, Ron English, Donald Mayberry (played with Travis Biggs), Skip "Van Winkl" Knape (read: of Teagarden and Van Winkl, also played with Seger on Smokin' Ops) and Ted Pulker.b,121b,121Oh yeah, then he threw some raps over it. He commissioned some of his best friends to join him, which included ME, Starving Artists Crew, Giant Panda and Shawn Jackson. He didn't have to... but it's what made him feel good and we apprecaited being a part of it. Anyway...b,121b,121BOOM! He came up with this:b,121b,121b,121b,121The image links to his eBay store that you can now buy a copy state-wise of his magnum opus that has only been released in Japan. You can find it online as a Japanese import in Australia and the UK, which means it's still too damned expensive to try and sell here. Until now...b,121b,121b,121The Japanese label has also released a vinyl EP of the album. It features 8 songs from the record. Peep the artwork.b,121b,121Front:b,121b,121b,121Backb,121b,121b,121Artwork handdrawn by his buddy Duke.b,121b,121Again, it is worth your hard-earned cash. This will be a record that folks will be talking about for years to come. Witness the work of Detroit's unsung talent. SP is more than a beatmaker; he's like the new Holland-Dozier-Holland... just one white, bald guy. Check out samples on his MySpace page - http://www.myspace.com/shawncoffeepoems.b,121img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

Comments