SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
Got an early start tonight, grabbed this one from the spot next to the movie I was going to, just as they were closing - Glad I grabbed it, because I had left it behind like the last 4 times I went through there, like, "I'll get it next time." I have lost plenty of good records thinking that way, so it's nice to have secured a mint, shrinkwrapped cheap copy of this: Nice record all the way through, Lee Morgan's last session, a very familiar ATCQ sample, and a sped-up version of "Girl, You Need a Change of Mind!"

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Private press doo doo:

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Stelvio Cipriani - Tentacles Soundtrack

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    PICKED UP A NIAGARA S.U.B. for 7.50 YESTERDAY and had some Italian ice cream (Crema Venezia) afterwards!!! What a day.

Also found:

Horst Jankowski - A Walk In The Evergreens feat. "Wack Wack"
    "Sanke In The Grass" - Hot und Sweet mit Beat - German budget label record with lots of organ and bass! sounds like an instrumental The Doors LP

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    I found a bunch of records at the local book sale, but nothing too spectacular. I did manage to pull two pretty interesting small press jazz LP's though. And perhaps better yet I found an original edition Man Ray book.

The first one is a stage band record from Iolani, a local private high school in Hawaii. There are a number of cover songs of Bill Conti and Bob James tunes, and even some half way decent originals. All I can say, is that it was certainly better than I expected, with it's share of funk and jazz moments, and hard drums (not open).

This quality of the second record was a sohck. I pulled it last minute and almost didn't get it. Every other song is an experiment in weird synth blips and bleeps, and other space noises. But it's the songs between those, that make this a winner! Really good jazz, played almost entirely by one Marden Pond. I can't find much information on the web, so if anyone has seen it before, let me know.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    PICKED UP A NIAGARA S.U.B. for 7.50 YESTERDAY

Someone's reissued this, right?

What a great fuckin' album.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• ilkkailkka 31 Posts

It's a really good album, I have it too..
    I don't think that it has been reissued officially, but there is a bootleg of it on wax.

Some of my weekend finds:
    Black Fist OST (double)
    Eddie Hazel : Games, Dames And Guitar Thangs (Wb)(double)
    Cecil Taylor : The Great Concert Of Cecil Taylor (Prestige) 3LPBOX
    Erroll Garner : Concert By the Sea (Columbia)
    Thelonious Monk : At the Five Spot (Milestone) 2LP
    McCoy Tyner : The Early Trios (abc/impulse!) 2LP

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Yeah. I said it before: SUB is Niagara's best record. The titties cover was no good to me. Affire is too crazy. I couldn't enjoy it that much. I need good compositions. Affire sounds like a drugged-out jam session. SUB is such a beauty. 5 of my favorite songs on there!!! I'm so happy!

Oh man,
    that laid back cut, that starts w/just cowbell and bass, "MELLOW FIRE"!!!

I have a hard time remembering the titles of afro songs for some reason, but i'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

Only this one this weekend..."Junior's Eyes" was the band that backed David Bowie on his first album. Mick Wayne on guitar who played the hot licks on Space Oddity. This record is a wierd mix of heavy/hard rock and wizard rock. Strange album. Produced by Tony Visconti.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

"Sanke In The Grass" - Hot und Sweet mit Beat - German budget label record with lots of organ and bass! sounds like an instrumental The Doors LP

Exxxtra doap.

- J

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Exxxtra doap.

- J

Ahhh, oh yes. Ehhhhhh, how come you know this record. Aren't you a little dude?
    Dude, I wish I picked this up earlier. I really enjoy the LP. Make sure to keep your copy. Do not sell...

Cosmo, I discovered a new store! Incredible. Like that store in Giessen that had the Uschi Br??ning, only with super low prices. I'm lucky, although I'm stuck at home studying for those silly exams! I'll write to you next week...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    An hour ago for $40

Black Ivory: FEEL IT LP
    Temprees: LOVE MEN LP
    Funkadelic: AMERICA EATS ITS YOUNG 2LP
    Scarface: THE DIARY LP
    House of Gypsies: I Like You / Makossa 12"
    Judge's Nephews: LOS SOBRINOS DEL JUEZ LP
    Busta Rhymes: WHEN DISASTER STRIKES 2LP

Gotta work a lil bit today then it's off to Charlotte to see Keb Darge spin raers. I'm hoping verbal abuse is part of the equation.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    PICKED UP A NIAGARA S.U.B. for 7.50 YESTERDAY and had some Italian ice cream (Crema Venezia) afterwards!!!

I read this and thought Niagara was a German sandwich shop.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    I'm moving, so I've sold about 500 LPs, but have picked up a few things. My favorites from the last little while:

Clockwise from top left:

Fun Fun - Happy Station 12". Italo bullshit or whatever. When I saw K-Swift DJ a few weeks ago I saw some kid in middle school skater sized jeans wearing a yellow shirt that said "ITALO DISCO" all rainbow colored and the only thing I could think is "what a fag," which isn't shit that exactly rolls off my tongue but come on dude. This record is like past that shit an into the point that theband is called Fun Fun and the song is called Happy Station. I swear in 1985 my mom had a shirt that looked liked the cover of this record

Lync - These Are Not Fall Colors LP. Sick mid-nineties K Records LP. Had this CD but happy to get the LP. The LP insert is definitely just an unfolded CD insert. Shit is budget in indie rock land. This record is real hard and has two lock grooves on it. No doubt one of these dudes is now like a married realtor who listens to a lot of Norah Jones.

Trooper/Epson Energy test press of unreleased LP. This is some shit like no one except weirdo Japanese Dischord fans or maybe Bambouche would give a shit about. Both of these bands were comprised by friends of mine, an amalgam of whom would go on to be the band Black Eyes. Epson Energy features this dude Paul who I haven't seen for a while because he lives in Chicago but his dad was totally in Half Japanese which is sick. Weird dude. Anyway the Trooper side is the shit to watch for as it was Paul and my best friend Daniel in high school playing guitar, my immensely bearded friend Jacob on bass, and Mike a dude who only knows how to play heavy rock drums on drums. It's got two kids who really liked Greg Ginn playing guitar and yelling. Jacob told me they really wanted to sound like Karp and that isn't a band reference point. Heavy bass. My friend Justin gave me his copy of this (I think there are like 5?) because he was like "Yeah I don't care." If DJ Assault was in this band he would totally care. Oh well

Liquid Liquid - We Must Dig/Flextone 12". Nice 6 dollar find at Joe's when I was selling them shit. The repetitive "Dig! We must! Dig!" is a little corny but you can't front on Flextone. Where do you play that many drums in New York City in 1983? I was totally one and living on the Upper West Side when this came out. Shit might as well have been another country.

I also have cultivated an unemployment beard for the last few weeks. I look disgusting it rules

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    i found a mint copy of the Heath Brothers' "Marchin' On".

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    YARD SALE MADNESS CONTINUES!!

Saw a flyer up for a yard sale that said "records" right at the top of available goods. It claimed to start at 10 AM and was just down the block, so I went right at 10. The chick was hungover, though, and didn't start bringing stuff out until almost a half hour later. I asked about the records and she said

"if you help me carry them down, you can have five of them for free!"

I was like word, and went up to the fourth floor and went through the two boxes before moving them anywhere. Almost all show tunes crapola Hugo Winterhaulter or whatever shit, and then suddenly, like a clap of thunder and a bolt of lightning:

Actually, I found the record sitting without a sleeve or jacket first, was still psyched anyway, and then found the cover in the next box! Jacket needed to be taped back together, but even though the vinyl had been out sleeveless for who knows how long, a quick wipe with alcohol and it played almost perfect...I like getting 10+ year white whale joints for FREE!

On top of that, also in the box with the jacket was:

Not bad for minutes labor carrying 2 record boxes down some stairs. Total cost: $0.00

My other three free joints:

Rolling Stones - Between the Buttons clean OG
    Gen X - Kiss Me Deadly LP
    Hog Heaven - S/T - weird Roulette record of post-Tommy-James Shondells, but it was cracked straight through anyway and got tossed. Did I mention the free Incredible Bongo Band record??

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Montreal finds so far:

Battle of Algiers soundtarck
    Dario Argento's Inferno soundtrack
    Zabriskie Point soundtrack
    Stranger than Paradise soundtrack
    Impressions - One by One
    Sweet Inspirations - Estelle, Myrna and Sylvia
    C Adderely - The Price You Got to Pay to Be Free

Bonus HAZ treats:
    Ahmad - Back in the Day
    Wendy Rene - After Laughter Come Tears

I happy and there are more stores to visit still!

• Fun Fun - Happy Station 12". Italo bullshit or whatever.

in 1983 (when I was 10), that song was my shit!! I'd record it off the radio and make tape-to-tape remixes of it by holding the mic of one tapedeck to the speaker of the other... that was some lo-tek shit!
    You could hear the constant fiddling of my unsteady hands trying to hit the record-pause buttons...

send it to me if you don't need it

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Judge's Nephews: LOS SOBRINOS DEL JUEZ LP

if it's the one w/ the gavel on the cover, then you just got yourself a killer album. the other one's are pretty mediocre, but some killer latin jazz on there, sappy lounge ballads which I love, and the opening cut is some deep latin funk.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

Fun Fun - Happy Station 12". Italo bullshit or whatever.

in 1983 (when I was 10), that song was my shit!! I'd record it off the radio and make tape-to-tape remixes of it by holding the mic of one tapedeck to the speaker of the other... that was some lo-tek shit!
    You could hear the constant fiddling of my unsteady hands trying to hit the record-pause buttons...

send it to me if you don't need it

Yo I was definitely one in 1983. This song is sick. I listened to a couple other Italo joints at the store that were mostly doodoo. Not a genre I need a zillion records of so I'll stick with the 5 or 10 I've got and call it a day. This one stays with me. Shit is probably cheap on eBay though?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I also have cultivated an unemployment beard for the last few weeks. I look disgusting it rules

word em up. i've been rocking the chemotherapy beard as a constant reminder to the public that i'm an unemployed mess. i also haven't been digging for records. it's no fun anymore. here's a pic of a recent edig that i can finally cross off my wantlist:

No doubt one of these dudes is now like a married realtor who listens to a lot of Norah Jones.

my father was never in an indie rock band.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

No doubt one of these dudes is now like a married realtor who listens to a lot of Norah Jones.

saying, schnipper, you're making me want to revisit that LP with that review

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Two new additions:

- Beau Williams - "Bo-dacious!" (Capitol)
    - Jerry Bell - "Winter Love Affair" (MCA)

SG

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    Frank Cunimondo- Sagittarius (Mondo)
    " " - Echoes (Mondo)
    Silhouettes- Red Snow 45 (Western World)
    yesss!!!!
    " " - Freedom Book (Prestige)
    Aretha Franklin- I Never Loved a Man....(Atlantic)
    " " - Sparkle (Atl)
    Eddie Palmieri- Justicia (Tico)
    Mal Waldron- Free at Last (ECM, with booklet incl. sheet music! )

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

- Jerry Bell - "Winter Love Affair" (MCA)

SG

so underrated its not even funny.

found a lot on this week in total and barely anything this weekend so I thought I'd just total the entire week up:

James Brown[/b] "Hot Pants"" (Polydor)

James Brown[/b] "It's A Mother" (King)

Funkadelic[/b] "Free Your Mind..." (Westbound)

Funkadelic[/b] "Standing on the Verge Of Gettin It On" (Westbound)

Funkadelic[/b] "S/T" (Westbound)

Sylvers[/b] "S/T" (Pride)

Bloodstone[/b] "Unreal" (London)

Ozone[/b] "Walk On" (Motown)

Zingara[/b] "S/T" (Wheel)

Roberta Flack[/b] "Cream Smooth Jazz" (Ron) - Private ress LP roberta did promoting Manacheviz Wine

Stairsteps[/b] "2nd Ressurection" (Dark Horse)

Ralph Carmichael[/b] "Cross & Switchblade OST" (Light)

Main Ingredient[/b] "Afrodisiac" (RCA)

Cameo[/b] "We All Know Who We Are" (Chocolate City)

Canadian All Stars[/b] Northern Lights" (MMO) - 2 funky jazz cuts that are a lot better than you may think coming form an instrucitonal LP.

Los Rockin Devils[/b] "Esos Fueron Los Dias" (Dimsa) - Mexican Psych Garage LP

Chuito & the Latin Uniques[/b] "From The Street" (Speed)

George Wright[/b] "Nows The Right Time" (Dot) -vlounge Wurlitzer Organ covers of Mannix, Light My Fire, Aquarius, and the toughest version I've heard of Mission Impossible

Tessie Hill[/b] "S/T" (ABC/Peacock) - sealed

Marion Brown[/b] "Sweet Earth Flying" (ABC)

Randy Weston and Langston Hughes[/b] "Uhuru Afrika" (Roulette)

Gram Parsons[/b] Grievous Angel" (Reprise)

Ebay arrival:
    Ice- s/t (Prestige) (anyone have any idea who these guys are?)
    The Lafayette Afro Rock band. Sort Of. Check out the scoop mowtown's
    review section up top.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i like how people now put their faces in the pics. it's funny.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Frank Cunimondo- Sagittarius (Mondo)
    " " - Echoes (Mondo)
    Silhouettes- Red Snow 45 (Western World)
    yesss!!!!
    WHEW! nice ones!

you get them for cheap? ive got both of those Cunimondos, had to pay a bit for saggitarius, and i still need that Silhouettes 45. you got the lp? it's great