DRUM HAELP

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
It's time for me to get a fu$king drum set. I don't really have any knowledge of brands, types, etc., aside from fooling around on studio drumsets for years. Being that there are tons of options, I thought I'd holleur at my fellow strutter bredren for some tips and suggestions. I'm not looking for anything top of the line, just a decent starter kit under $500. HAELP PLAESE.b,121b,121

Comments

• I used to work for a Guitar Center in Chicagoland area. The sets that were most worth while under a grand usually were Yamaha. I especially like the Jimmy Chamberlin edition snare. That sucker cracks hard. Not sure what you are looking for but if you are looking for a deal and want it shipped or are from Chicago I could get you a hook up over there. Pm if necessary.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    We got a PDP kit at work a couple of years back. It's DW's cheaper brand & has been pretty good so far. We re-headed it at the start of this year & it sounds even better because the stock heads were pretty cheap. I like it better than the Pearl Export we replaced with it. Easier to set up the toms to comfortable positions etc. We also have a older Remo kit which is great, but I think that was quite a bit more expensive.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    i don't know man... you'll get one of those used drum kits off of craigslist for that type of money. sure, it's all yours for now, and you're only expecting it to be a temporary thing... you know, until you find what you're really looking for. but before you know it, you'll be in with that kit long term, with no idea of that kits history... when you feather that ride, does that ride think of you, or is that rides mind somewhere else? who in that kits past really could bang out a braek on it? where were those heads at before they were in front of you? it's hard not to picture that sort of thing, y'know? do you really want a kit that's been passed around so much? is that really your drum kit to begin with? it's risky.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I would look for a used Ludwig or Gretcsh set from the 60s or 70s. A 3 pc will set you back around $500. Then you got to find a snare. Ludwig Supraphonics are awesome snares and you can get a used one for around $100. Then the cymbals. Fusk. Cheap cymbals sound like shit. Then you got the hardware. Drums are crazy expensive but worth it.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Well, under $500 won't get you much, unless you're just talking about just the drums (no hardware/cymbals); and even that will probably just get you some shitty pearl export or something (unless you get lucky). It's worth shelling out more cash for a nice kit. I was like you once. Didn't want to spend a lot of money - but I ended up just buying a dope kit and spent more than I wanted to; never regretted it though. Look at it this way, if you buy a shitty kit you'll eventually have to buy a better one, then you've just spent more money that you would have just buying a nice kit straight off the bat. It sounds like you know how to play already so there ain't no harm in getting something nice/decent. That said:b,121b,121I would nix the Ludwig and change that to a SLINGERLAND or Gretsch for top two; I have both. Ludwigs would be my 3rd choice. Even Rogers makes nice kits - pearl and premier too but they HAVE to be older, no later than mid 70's - especially for the premier and pearl, anything beyond that either gets really shitty or really expensive. And go three (or four piece if you're counting the snare - you don't need any more toms than that). Even if you get a four piece kit, slingerland or gretsch, the snares will be dope from either. b,121b,121Cymbals get crazy expensive though, I've been using a brand called Turkish which are quite nice - but expensive, Meinl I've heard are good too. I used to use Zildjan but they're made pretty shittily these days. I'd stay away from the Guitar center purchases for cymbals, in fact, anything other than hardware for that matter. Guitar center cymbals are so cheap cause they're seconds (defects - I bought one cymbal from them and it cracked really quickly - never again). b,121b,121Hardware, can't go wrong with Yamaha or DW, that's what I use. Stick to the lightweight stuff, the heavier you get the more expensive - and unless you beat the shit out of your cymbals you don't need heavy duty hardware. Realistically, if it'll hold a cymbal it'll work. I've got some no names that have held their own up against my other brand name stands. Bass drum pedals can be tricky. Again, DWs are pretty reasonable. The DW 5000 is kind of a modern classic.b,121b,121Look up craigslist, even ebay (sometimes) - or local papers/classifieds. I bought my slingerland kit on ebay (but it was from a drum shop - not an individual). I'd keep it as far away from an individual as possible unless you can actually check them out before you pay - but don't be afraid to look on there though. I've bought some hardware and that kind of stuff too. I mean, obvious ebay tactics apply - make sure the seller sells drums/hardware on a regular basis (so that they aren't some douchebag who doesn't know shit about drums. And, I wouldn't deal with anyone who has less than 100% positive, even in these fucked up ebay times.b,121b,121Anyway, sorry for the novel on drum purchasing. Hope the info helps though; if you got through it all.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121I would look for a used Ludwig or Gretcsh set from the 60s or 70s. A 3 pc will set you back around $500. Then you got to find a snare. Ludwig Supraphonics are awesome snares and you can get a used one for around $100. Then the cymbals. Fusk. Cheap cymbals sound like shit. Then you got the hardware. Drums are crazy expensive but worth it. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Ludwig. I scored a 65 champagne sparkle at goodwill for $40 for the whole kit including a thin snare/piccolo (also found a gretsch kit there for around $80 a few months later). You probably won't have that kind of luck though.b,121b,121I say, if you've got the patience go the craigslist/flea market route. Set aside some of your budget for new heads. When you're just starting it's gonna take you at least 6 months to a year before you realize that you want better sounding cymbals, so go cheap on cymbals, but at the least you need hi-hats, and a ride with a decent bell. b,121b,121Hit anything that looks like it might sound good, and if it does attach it to your kit.

• Last year, somebody here recommended to me the Pearl Rhythm Traveler for a first kit, but I also specified that I wanted something compact and not-too-loud for fear of bothering my neighbors. It's pretty good, and I think I paid $499. I couldn't stand the cymbals that came with it though, so I upgraded the hats, crash and got a ride in addition which cost a little over $700 more. Bottom line is that you probably won't feel compelled to play them if they sound like crap. I really didn't get excited to play them that much until I got better cymbals.

• I have a pearl export. The bass and two toms were damaged by water from a fire. I liked it before those pieces were damaged and I like it now. So long as you aren't playing a lot on other peoples' kits that are better than yours, you should be okay with a cheap used set. I always play with ear protection and don't record or play with anyone (anymore), so i don't really care how they sound. So unless you really know that you're going to be playing seriously, just buy the best used kit you can get for $500. Upgrade your cymbals over time and if you're really into it a few years down the line, then you can upgrade your drums. b,121Pearl exports were okay years ago, I don't know what the deal is now.b,121A few years back, my brother got a Sonor for $1000 or so that was a good value... a lot of the guys at the store (Drum Headquarters in St. Louis) were fans of that set for the price.

• DW pedals are sort of overrated. I played on one for years and still have it, but I prefer the Tama model i have (don't know what it is exactly because it's in storage until I move). It was way cheaper than the dw model I have and I just replaced the beater with a dw beater and have been really happy.

• Quote:h,121b,121Hit anything that looks like it might sound good, and if it does attach it to your kit. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Excellent advice.

• This sounds crazy, but I always play with the rifle range "ear muff" type ear protection and it makes everything sound really good. A lot of people that have come over and played my drums are surprised at how good it sounds. It's pretty dumb to play drums without some sort of ear protection and i found those were pretty sweet. Just thought I would mention that.b,121b,121I just realized that I packed up an extra pair of hi-hats (sabian hh i think), a china cymbal (sabian and zildjian can't remember the models but they're decent) and that DW pedal. PM me if you're interested.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Quote:h,121b,121 It's pretty dumb to play drums without some sort of ear protection and i found those were pretty sweet. b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121If you play loud. I used to rock construction-type ear plugs until I realized that I could just buy really light sticks, and not hit the drums too hard.

• Thanks for all the halp, y'all. Much appreciated!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    What type of music are you looking to play?b,121b,121- spidey

• Rogers kits from the 70's are worth checking out...I love the sound of those drums!!! b,121b,121img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bbb.gif" alt="" 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/headz.gif" alt="" 21

• Quote:h,121b,121What type of music are you looking to play?b,121b,121- spidey b,121b,121h,121
    Funk, if I had to narrow it down. Certain drums I've messed around with, have more of a rock sound, if that makes sense. It's kind of hard to describe. I know it also has to do with how the snare is tuned, etc. What I'd like to have, ideally, is a nice right, crisp sound on the snare, and a kick that sounds more on the low end, rather than that loud punch sound I get when I mess around on rock band's drum kits. Does that make sense? I think I need to look into vintage 60's/70's kits, like what RAJ mentioned. A simple hat kick snare set with one cymbal should be fine for now.

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    Yeah, stick with a 60's/70's kit. Go for a smaller bass drum too, like an 18" or 20" - no bigger than a 22". You'll get a punchier sound, rather than a big and boomy rock sound. I don't dampen my kicks (just cut a hole in the front head) and it gives a nice sound; some resonance but not huge. You can also keep it empty and leave the front head untouched (see photo) - if you tune it right you can get the kind of Sapo "Been Had" sound, which can be nice for funk. You can also dampen the shit out of your kick and get more of thet Zigaboo Modeliste sound - that kick that busts you in the jaw. Something like this would be sweet - but expensive.b,121b,121There's always the option of buying bastard drums. Not a set but good individual pieces, it may not look as nice but you can save some money and still get some bad ass drums. Especially if you're just looking for a kick/snare/hat/cymbal setup.b,121b,121And if you want a crisp/bright snare go with metal. Wood will give you something warmer.