Radio Station Compilations!

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited September 2008 in Strut Central
what are some good radio station comps out there? reason i ask is i came across one this weekend. grabbed 3 copies from a storage unit!b,121b,121it is called WDAS Presents Black Rock. a few well known black rock bands (Rotary Connection etc) on to lesser known like The Counts and Demon Fuzzb,121b,121thought it was worth mentioning....b,121b,121are there any other ones like this...latin comps maybe?b,121b,121i feel like i find them more than often and just look over!

Comments

• http://www.radiouseonly.com/b,121b,121I know Lisa has posted here before, but if there are albums you have that aren't on her list, let her know.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i emailed her about it!! hopefully i can find something about it!!!

• Quote:h,121b,121what are some good radio station comps out there? reason i ask is i came across one this weekend. grabbed 3 copies from a storage unit!b,121b,121it is called WDAS Presents Black Rock. a few well known black rock bands (Rotary Connection etc) on to lesser known like The Counts and Demon Fuzzb,121b,121thought it was worth mentioning....b,121b,121are there any other ones like this...latin comps maybe?b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121In the sixties and seventies, there were about a THOUSAND comps like this. I don't know about Latin music, but in the world of rock & soul, radio station anthologies were a fact of life.b,121b,121One label, Lost Nite (now known as Collectables) was all about these kind of albums. Check out their discography: http://www.bsnpubs.com/philadelphia/lostnite.htmlb,121b,121And there was also Take Six: http://www.bsnpubs.com/la/take6.htmlb,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121i feel like i find them more than often and just look over! b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Admittedly, I overlook most of them simply because (a) most of them have obvious hits that were common even back then, and (b) there are a lot of anthologies that have the same songs. A station in Chicago may have put out an album around the same time as a station in Philly, yet they have the same lineup of songs. Very little regional variation. At least that Black Rock WDAS comp has a distinct concept.b,121b,121That said...here are some of my faves:b,121- KGFJ Very Important Disc-Coveries, Vol. 2 (great selection from this L.A. soul station, but the tracks are lo-fi and fade into each other, so don't even THINK about deejaying this one!! But it does have a few radio station jingles thrown in, including one based on the Crazy World Of Arthur Brown's hit "Fire"!)b,121b,121- a WVON (Chicago) Xmas album I can't recall the title of offhand, but in addition to a boss tracklisting (Mickey Murray's "Shout Bamalama," Dyke & the Blazers'"Funky Broadway"), it includes a booklet with photos of 'VON's airstaff as of Dec. 1967...including a shorthaired Don Cornelius!b,121b,121- Chicago Rocks...album of Chicago-area power-pop bands released by WLUP ("The Loop"), ca. 1980...this hasn't aged very well...just a bunch of cats probably in muscle tees and shag haircuts trying to be Cheap Trick...but it still has a dorky appeal. My copy still has a half-off coupon for the County Seat jeans store that probably expired long before the store itself did! (There is a Chicago Rocks, Vol. 2 that has a cover that looks like a newspaper which is a little more common in local stores...it sucks...at least #1 had some guilty-pleasure appeal)

whoa thanks for the info!!! yea this comp i found isn't really anything super considering it is all stuff that has been acknowledged in the past...b,121b,121....but seeing one with as you said "distinction" makes it worthwhile as opposed to an "oldies comp"

• Quote:h,121b,121whoa thanks for the info!!! yea this comp i found isn't really anything super considering it is all stuff that has been acknowledged in the past...b,121b,121....but seeing one with as you said "distinction" makes it worthwhile as opposed to an "oldies comp" b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Full disclosure...I've seen that WDAS compilation you mention, once or twice...never bought it because I either had all the good cuts, or the cuts I didn't have weren't all that hot. But as a man obsessed with rock & roll made by black folks, I'm impressed that a mainstream R&B station would put together a compilation such as this. Besides, when's the last time you heard Richie Havens on soul radio? Most black stations never even played his commercial jingles!

Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121whoa thanks for the info!!! yea this comp i found isn't really anything super considering it is all stuff that has been acknowledged in the past...b,121b,121....but seeing one with as you said "distinction" makes it worthwhile as opposed to an "oldies comp" b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Full disclosure...I've seen that WDAS compilation you mention, once or twice...never bought it because I either had all the good cuts, or the cuts I didn't have weren't all that hot. But as a man obsessed with rock & roll made by black folks, I'm impressed that a mainstream R&B station would put together a compilation such as this. Besides, when's the last time you heard Richie Havens on soul radio? Most black stations never even played his commercial jingles! b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121hahab,121b,121indeed

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's the ones with original material to look out for...

• Quote:h,121b,121It's the ones with original material to look out for... b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121I don't know about "original" material, but most of those old radio-station anthologies have at least one obscure local hit that never made it out of that town. I first heard the Village Callers'"Hector" and the Vanguards'"Somebody Please" on that KGFJ thing I mentioned up above.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    No there are a lot of them with original material that was never released anywhere else...

• Quote:h,121b,121No there are a lot of them with original material that was never released anywhere else... b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Like "local band" samplers?

• Quote:h,121b,121
    Quote:h,121b,121No there are a lot of them with original material that was never released anywhere else... b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Like "local band" samplers? b,121b,121h,121
    b,121b,121Yeah, whether it's a local/regional artist doing their own songs or a familiar cover. If you are a DJ and/or producer, it makes spotting it a bit more difficult, and of course easier to get away with. Forget King Crimson, it's all about that home organ action.b,121b,121b,121 b,121b,121b,121