Skipping work

ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
edited July 2008 in Strut Central
Inspired by the "Skipping class" thread.What are good excuses when missing out on a day at work or even when being like 30 minutes late ?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    "I'd probably just fuck something up if I came in today anyhow..."

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    This thread really hits home with me. Actually I was gonna post this last Friday, hoping to line up a 3 day weekend.

Some good ones that I have used/have seen used:

Have kids? They are invaluable here. I often wish I had them as I see coworkers constantly using kid-related excuses. "I have to go to the daycare to pick up little Johnny who has been throwing up." Very believable and able to reuse as you please as little kids are just little walking diseases anyway.

Live in an apartment? Say you woke up and the your car had been towed from the complex when you had your permit in the window and everything and you're pissed and this is such bullshit and you'll try to make it in later in the day but right now you're just trying to locate the wrecker yard that has it and not having any luck yet and what a pain and bullshit.

Also good: Need to take care of a ticket. People understand. They've been there.

One that I have used at least 3 times: I have the shits. No further questions will be asked. No one wants details.

Late?

I saw this used just fricken today! Again, kids! Coworker, says his little kid unplugged the alarm clock. At my last job I saw this shit used too! Like twice. "MY little Gremlin found a way to unplugg..." Bullshit. I don't buy it. But my boss..."Oh dear... Ha ha. At that age they're so mischievous!" Genius!

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    "working from the Miami office today" -my ex-boss.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    One that I have used at least 3 times: I have the shits. No further questions will be asked. No one wants details.

My girlfriend who has to deal with the people who call in sick at her work confirms that this is indeed the most solid excuse in the book.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I'm coming in late tomorrow with he old "renewing my driver's liscense" excuse.

But, I will actually be doing that and sitting in that BS fuckin line so really I would rather be at work.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ohhhh man, this should be good.

i see the kids one here at work aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall the time! "little billy's running a fever and i have to pick him up from the daycare"

i wish i could play this costanza-like game with outlandish excuses, but i can just ask my boss if i can take a day off without vacation a couple days prior and i usually get the green light. other than that, i always come into work, even if i'm crazy hungover or sick. they'll more than likely send me home since they respect that i put the effort into coming into work in the first place.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Missing work? The world would have to swallow me whole for me to miss work.

DjArcadian = workaholic

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    That's why I like personal days. I just call and leave a message saying I'm not coming in. No explanation.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I got like a month of vacation and two weeks of sick days here so I just take days off whenever I feel like.
    "Uhmm, I'm not coming in today boss"
    "Ok, dont forget to mark your time sheet."

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    You really need only one excuse:

"I've been in the bathroom all night and most of the morning, if you know what I'm saying."

Usually gets the job done, or as the case may be, not done.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I got like a month of vacation and two weeks of sick days here so I just take days off whenever I feel like.
    "Uhmm, I'm not coming in today boss"
    "Ok, dont forget to mark your time sheet."

this thread isn't for people like you.

But, at my old job we had a ridiculous amount of vacation/personal days and we still had to make shit up. If I called and said hey I'ma take a personal day I'd get "Oh Okay... is everything alright..." and at this point you'd have to make shit up... Couldn't get away with "Mufucka it's called a personal day for a reason!"

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    But, at my old job we had a ridiculous amount of vacation/personal days and we still had to make shit up. If I called and said hey I'ma take a personal day I'd get "Oh Okay... is everything alright..." and at this point you'd have to make shit up... Couldn't get away with "Mufucka it's called a personal day for a reason!"

ha, my old job was like that but with much less time.
    the biggest problem I have now is trying to duck out early
    that shit is not possible
    or showing late? my boss said he would beat me up if I came in late anymore
    hes a likkle dude but still i dont want to fight him.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

But, I will actually be doing that and sitting in that BS fuckin line so really I would rather be at work.

dude, go to the one on Jacksboro Highway in Fort Worth...there is never a line at that one until like 10AM, get at that one when they open and you will be out of there quick..seriously.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    The school district was great for this...you didnt even have to talk to a human..it was computerized, you had a code number and then just punched in "1" for a sick day, "2" for a personal day, etc...one of the great things about that job...also the 5 days a year you got that accumilated...after 10 years I built up a bunch...