Anyone ever DJed on a boat?

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I'm playing on a large yacht that will circle manhattan. Anyone ever done this? Cosmo? Ayers? did your shit skip from the motion?

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm playing on a large yacht that will circle manhattan. Anyone ever done this? Cosmo? Ayers? did your shit skip from the motion?

You opening up for Steve?

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    DJ'D on a docked boat in bristol uk called thekla. it was leaning so much to one side i cant believe the records were playing. was about 500 people on board. i just remember getting there and thinking how the hell is this gonna work? but it did. peace, stein. . .

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    nah.
    why?
    is he doing a boat jumpoff?
    I think that's the shit for business parties in NYC in the summer...boat jumpoffs.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I've done it a few times. The boat's motion didn't really cause a problem as far as needle skippage, but it can be distracting when you're trying to mix/scratch and the boat is tilting with the waves. You just have to be conscious of your footing is all.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    yeah exactly what enki said. also if you are on an open deck, bring some garbage bags to throw over your shit in case it starts raining in on the boat

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Dj-ed on mad boats, ships and yachts while cruising or docked. Never had a problem but I don't cut a lot I just mix.

• I've done it a few times. The boat's motion didn't really cause a problem as far as needle skippage, but it can be distracting when you're trying to mix/scratch and the boat is tilting with the waves. You just have to be conscious of your footing is all.

ever get seasick while djing on a boat??
    seems like it might be easy to happen, all that boat motion mixed with the spinning of records might be a bad combo.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I've done it a few times. The boat's motion didn't really cause a problem as far as needle skippage, but it can be distracting when you're trying to mix/scratch and the boat is tilting with the waves. You just have to be conscious of your footing is all.

seems like it might be easy to happen, all that boat motion mixed with the spinning of records might be a bad combo.

yeah, and don't play anything on Vertigo while DJing on a boat...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I haven't, but a homie of mine did once. Of course, all the drugs he took probably didn't help, either. It's probably not a bad idea to pack some dramamine, though.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I did this big yacht party with Biz for Gary Paton & Jamie Foxx once. No joke I was sick before we even left the dock! That shit ain't cool.

• yeah exactly what enki said. also if you are on an open deck, bring some garbage bags to throw over your shit in case it starts raining in on the boat

also try and make sure you aren't going to be in direct sunlight if it is a day thing. bring one of them funny umbrellas or something

• yeah, and don't play anything on Vertigo while DJing on a boat...

Haha, the other night I was baked out of my mind and I was playing this Vertigo sampler and I couldn't help staring into the vortex and then I got all dizzy and nauseous and had to sit down. That shit is mesmerizing.

• Options
    If you're going around Manhattan, the main area you're going to have to be concerned about is when you go around Battery Park to do the obligatory Statue Of Liberty pass. Even on a calm night that's where the waves or funny water action will come in because of the different bodies of water that meet up. Boat might rock a bit, causing all the cocaine to spill onto the bathroom floor.

• anyone been to batofar in paris?

that place is goin off

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    ...causing all the cocaine to spill onto the bathroom floor.

I once took a trip round downtown Manhattan on a motor yacht belonging to someone from Island records. They played really loud euro-techno and got stopped by the river police for being too loud and navigating recklessly. One guy threw his pot overboard and we all laughed at him. Then we called him an idiot.

We got waved at by models on a photoshoot happening underneath Brooklyn Bridge... turned out to be Victoria's Secret Fall 2000 cat.

The coke mention reminded me of that... models and eurotrash and techno. I'll stick to the spliffs and tonight's beverage of choice, my Asahi 33.8oz.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    that vertigo label is based on a Duchamp print- he did a whole buch of works designed to spin- not bad if your looking for a new slip mat/label design
    (i have mats with a goldfish swimming in a bowl based on one of his prints)

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    DJ'D on a docked boat in bristol uk called thekla. it was leaning so much to one side i cant believe the records were playing. was about 500 people on board. i just remember getting there and thinking how the hell is this gonna work? but it did. peace, stein. . .

Damn, I didn't know you dudes played the Thekla.

PUTS gave props to Thekla on Yoda's Quid Control 12".

Thats a slamming venue, apart from when it gets too crowded cause its impossible to get back out to the exit again.