Barbara Mason

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
went and saw her last night. If you get a chance to go see her, do. Woman still has an amazing voice, stage presence...great show. Also had a chance to hang out with her and she is the sweetest woman you will ever meet. I was stoked as I make the flyers for the club, and she found out that I was the one who desgined them so she had her son/manager give me his card because she wants me to make the poster for her tour when she finishes her new LP that she is recording in Memphis this summer...I was flabbergasted, I told her I just do the poster thing as a hobby, but she said, "well if it works out, youll do my next poster!" WHOA! As I was leaving, I said that she should work up "You Better Stop it" for her set and she got all wide eyed and said "you know that song? yes, yes!, you're right and started singing it right then and there" What a lady...go see her!

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    She must be touring the South, because she was appearing in New Orleans when I was there during Ponderosa Stomp/Jazz Fest week, some time back...we didn't have time to stop by her show, but I did make a point of taking one of the flyers down from a telephone pole for keepsake...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I think she is living down in NO. She booked this show since she was in Memphis rehearsing with the Bo-Keys for her new LP. Bo-Keys are sounding great these days...full horn section, percussionist and electric piano/organ...really full sounding. I do like the stripped down Bo-Keys, but they were more apt to play some cheese when they were stripped down...shit like "Kansas City", etc....

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    That's the good thing about this "soul revival" brewing...these older soul singers are coming out here doing REAL SOUL music, instead of trying to hitch a ride on the blues bandwagon like Mighty Sam or the late Alvin Cash.

As far as Mason, I know somebody who knew somebody who went to the NOLA show, and sez Barbara had three or four male-model types dancing around her in a circle during one song...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    That's the good thing about this "soul revival" brewing...these older soul singers are coming out here doing REAL SOUL music, instead of trying to hitch a ride on the blues bandwagon like Mighty Sam or the late Alvin Cash.

As far as Mason, I know somebody who knew somebody who went to the NOLA show, and sez Barbara had three or four male-model types dancing around her in a circle during one song...

she pulls dudes up on stage and asks them to take their shirts off! One dude she had up on stage last night chickened out, but there was a drunk ass dude that was more than happy to oblige