Portishead 3 lp(and or boxset)

ageage 1,131 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I don't know if this has been talked about yet,(sorry if it has been already) but this lp is probably the better of the last two releases(imo).A bit of somehting for everyone and well worth the wait.I would strongly suggest in getting that boxset.Comes with this usb "p" 1 gig portthat has the album already formatted to mp3 for you, some videos, nice 180gm vinyl and the machine gun single with the laser etched flip..oh and some artwork too.here is what it looks like and all the prints are differentWhat are your thoughts on this album folks..I ride!!!!

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah there was quite a bit of talk about the album in this thread. That box set looks great though - am tempted to pick it up, especially if the vinyl copy is well mastered.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Ahhhhh....The lp's sound great!!!
    I've always wanted to say that I thought it was pretty cool that you have Yuen Siu Tin as your avatar!!!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ahhhhh....The lp's sound great!!!
    I've always wanted to say that I thought it was pretty cool that you have Yuen Siu Tin as your avatar!!!

Ha! He's still one of my favourite kung fu characters after all these years.

Glad to hear the LP version sounds decent will have to pick it up. They're a group that I have always bought vinyl releases of - their production seems made for the crackle and hiss of vinyl.

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
    Lp is excellent quality, bit dissapointed in the quality of the mp3's on the memory stick. All in all it is a fantastic box-set.

That memory stick is just great.

Saw them live, and they played mostly new stuff. It was GREAT.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    Cosine all of the above. The album could've been longer, I think, and I don't care much for the ukulele skit, but otherwise bomb material. "Threads" is a killer, and keeps the album within their big closing tune formula.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    the usual 2LP is exactly the same pressing as the one in the boxset, isn??t it? At least my German pressing is heavy and sounds excellent. I don??t really see the necessity to drop extra loot on the boxset. However, I really like the album.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    the usual 2LP is exactly the same pressing as the one in the boxset, isn??t it? At least my German pressing is heavy and sounds excellent. I don??t really see the necessity to drop extra loot on the boxset. However, I really like the album.

Agreed. I got the single and will cop the album at some point, but that boxset is $$. You can buy the CD, Record, & 12" for cheaper, and you dont get any extra music for the huge boxset markup.

Like the Radiohead one, Cool package though if you are a fan like that...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Dude.

• the usual 2LP is exactly the same pressing as the one in the boxset, isn??t it? At least my German pressing is heavy and sounds excellent. I don??t really see the necessity to drop extra loot on the boxset. However, I really like the album.
    us pressing is not 180 gram(triple beam says 115 lol)
    pretty average pressing if you ask me, still sounds good though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Pretty interesting interview with Geoff Barrow and Adrian Utley here.

• I wasn't too excited about this release prior to hearing it but what a great LP. Bought the double vinyl and then felt like I needed to cop the box as well as it so good. This will definitely be at the top of my favourite releases come the end of 2008.

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts

Dude.

Hey, I had a ticket for you as well.....

I'm feeling this album more and more. Takes a couple of listens, but it grows and grows on you.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    it grows and grows on you.

Like herpes.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    us pressing is not 180 gram(triple beam says 115 lol)

pretty average pressing if you ask me, still sounds good though.

I was actually a little disappointed with the basic double LP release in the U.S. -- somehwat flimsy vinyl, with one disc slightly warped, making the first song skip with my light needle (though it plays fine with my heavier cartridge). The album has a nice gatefold and also includes a free download.

The album itself I love, pretty much every song -- even the Folksways jernt, "Deep Water."