Reuben Bell

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Any fans? I have three 45s by this guy and they're all so killer. Especially the two on Murco - "Another Day Lost" and "It's Not That Easy" - which I remember being REALLY tough to find for some reason. Then when they finally hit ebay I scooped them for like under $15 a piece. Anyways, I know he's got a mid-priced funk track that I thought was only so-so. What else is the good stuff?

Comments

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Superjock is pretty classic, but usually goes around 100.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have a couple by him that are decent but not, I suspect,
    his best stuff by far. A nice version of "Leave My Kitten Alone"
    on Deluxe, and some other one on House of Orange that's OK, like
    a wah-wah "what's the world coming to" type of track, I think.
    I had another one on Deluxe that was le poo poo ...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't know what label it's on, but I have Bell's "Asking For The Truth" (and praying for a lie) on a various-artists compilation...it's a typical southern soul song about suspected adultery, but my God, it goes down smooth. I totally recommend this one.

There's also "I Hear You Knocking," which was a minor hit on the soul charts in 1972 (on the Deluxe label)...I have this one, it's decent but not memorable. Same goes for the flip side, whatever it was.

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    It's Not That Easy is the crucial cut. Action Speaks Louder Than Words (different tune from the Chocolate Milk song) is pretty good, but it didn't stay filed.