Never In My Life =

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    he's done the best cover of "california dreaming"

• His version of Hey Joe ain't too shabby either

'What you don't want to be' is another truly great track from Lee Moses

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

His version of Hey Joe ain't too shabby either

Love Lee Moses and love that track but never heard his version - you wouldn't have an MP3 knocking around, would you?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Listened to his "Time and place" 45 before leaving home this morning. Too good. I need the album, can't afford it though...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

His version of Hey Joe ain't too shabby either

Love Lee Moses and love that track but never heard his version - you wouldn't have an MP3 knocking around, would you?

Love this track too, not at home at the moment, but will up it later for you if no one else has

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

This song is one of the great heartbreakers for me.

I think I have his album ripped on my Mp3 player with me at work, can up Hey Joe in a bit if noone gets there first.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    When Part 1 of Bad Girl finishes, I flip it to Part 2 as quickly as I can - at home or playing out.

• galaxygalaxy 62 Posts
    Lee Moses write-up from Colin Dilnot. Really good blog it is too!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Not better than Bobby Womack's version

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    When Part 1 of Bad Girl finishes, I flip it to Part 2 as quickly as I can - at home or playing out.

it's it for me -- i could listen to that song all day and never get tired of it.

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts

Not better than Bobby Womack's version

cosign. I was about to say that myself.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Here's Hey Joe.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    He's black.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Here's Hey Joe.

Thank you - you've totally made my day. This is a really great version.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    He's black.

still?

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    He has a banging intrumental version of "Reach Out I'll Be There". You can listen to it here http://www.soulsides.fi/sounds2.html.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    that reach out cover is pretty amazing. Definitely cosigning that one. Didn't drewn pick up the lp at wfmu a couple years ago?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Didn't drewn pick up the lp at wfmu a couple years ago?

Yeap. That record is a mutha. I'm still hearing things on that album that I hadn't really heard before.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

so

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    He was a guitar player who had a band called The Showstoppers in the early/mid 1960s. They were the house band for a little while at the Royal Peacock. Lee got hooked up with Brantley and moved to NY where he cut all of those records, then came back to Atlanta, where I'm not sure that he did much of anything. Not sure why he dropped out. He died in 1997 or there about, if memory serves. Was tight with Hermon Hitson, Freddie Terrell, Hannibal and the like. Hermon Hitson has funny LSD stories about Lee. Some of his Showstoppers band wound up in Jay Floyd & the Cooks, who played the Palladium Club a lot and were backing band on a few Tragar label 45s (Chuck Wilder, Francine Thomas, etc). Most everything else that isn't completely trivial is found at the already linked Dark End of the Street blog.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Hermon Hitson has funny LSD stories about Lee.

• analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
    He was a guitar player who had a band called The Showstoppers in the early/mid 1960s. They were the house band for a little while at the Royal Peacock. Lee got hooked up with Brantley and moved to NY where he cut all of those records, then came back to Atlanta, where I'm not sure that he did much of anything. Not sure why he dropped out. He died in 1997 or there about, if memory serves. Was tight with Hermon Hitson, Freddie Terrell, Hannibal and the like. Hermon Hitson has funny LSD stories about Lee. Some of his Showstoppers band wound up in Jay Floyd & the Cooks, who played the Palladium Club a lot and were backing band on a few Tragar label 45s (Chuck Wilder, Francine Thomas, etc). Most everything else that isn't completely trivial is found at the already linked Dark End of the Street blog.

thanks for the info, i have a couple copies of Reach Out, I'll Be There 45 and I want to know who played drums on that track becuase their pretty serious.

• he does a pretty stomping version of the Beatles' "Daytripper" which works a treat on the dancefloor when combined with "The Devastator" by Stormy

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Didn't he cross paths with Jimi Hendrix at some point? I know I've heard his name linked with Hendrix, Herman Hitson, Lonnie Youngblood, and Curtis Knight for those early sessions that always show up on budget-label LP's.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Interesting connection, considering that Hendrix and Youngblood had an LP on Maple as well.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Lee Moses "What You Don't Want We To Be"

Didn't he cross paths with Jimi Hendrix at some point? I know I've heard his name linked with Hendrix, Herman Hitson, Lonnie Youngblood, and Curtis Knight for those early sessions that always show up on budget-label LP's.

They certainly crossed paths. I don't remember Hermon talking about Lee on those Johnny Brantley sessions that make up the bootlegs, but it's possible. Hermon has stated before that the three of them all shared the stage together at the infamous 1969 Atlanta Pop Festival. Would be cool if some pictures from that day surfaced. There's an old group of hippie/counterculture types still in the Atlanta area who have blogs and such. There have been things posted about the festival in general, but those who I've made contact with have no idea who Lee or Hermon are.

Colin Dilnot wrote: California Dreaming

This is like Hendrix meets Womack with Lee giving the song a much rougher interpretation than Womack. It is hard to fathom out what the link is between Hendix and Lee with Johnny Brantley cashing in on Hendrix???s death with an album Jimi Hendrix???s Moods featuring an un-credited Lee Moses on vocals.

I always thought this was Hermon's vocals, not Lee's. I should be able to clarify this with a quick phone call.

http://darkendofthestreet.blogspot.com/2006/11/hermon-hitson-interview.html

It was during this time that Hermon met Jimi Hendrix who was in town with the Isley Brothers and he was hanging out with the DJ Gorgeous George. Gorgeous George introduced Hermon to Hendrix and Hendrix sat in on a number of the tracks which Hermon was laying down for the proposed album. The album eventually got shelved and Brantley held onto to the masters which eventually ended up being released by Brantley at a later date as a Hendrix package with Hermon???s vocals chopped off! Hermon continued to record further sessions for Brantley in Atlanta with Lee and Freddie. One side, which was cut was ???A Dream I Had??? which eventually saw the light of day last year on a Soul-Tay-Shus CD. Hermon worked with several musicians on this session who he would work with off and on for another 10 years ??? Eddie Maxey on drums, Alonzo Taylor on bass and Ronnie Whitted on keyboards.

Eddie Maxey was the drummer with Freddie Terrell's Soul Expedition band, and sings on Terrell's Capitol 45.

To (not) answer an earlier question, I'm not sure who played drums on Lee Moses's Reach Out / Day Tripper 45 - maybe Cornelius Johnson??

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I still need this damn LP