45 Collectors...........

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
How do you guys manage your budget? Serious question. It seems more costly to be a serious collector of 45s than LPs. Explain.

Comments

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Who has a budget??

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Who has a budget??

I guess I do.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    How do you guys manage your budget? Serious question. It seems more costly to be a serious collector of 45s than LPs. Explain.

Go out and dig and get off ebay.

i do the equivalent of window shopping on Ebay.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but just curious about the 45 collectro mentality.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I tend to just buy them when I see them cheap ($20 or less). It's gotta be something I really want to pay more than $20 for, which does happen too of course. It helps to not have a wantlist, that way I'm not going to ebay with any "must-buy" records to search for. I also think a lot of luck & a lot of hard work comes into play when hunting down those little bastards. But I don't think I am a big 45 "balleur" at all, probably 80% of my collection have been $5 or under records. I don't really find budgeting comes into it: for example, the last time I dropped serious money in one day on 45s I just put it on my credit card & paid it off bit by bit, credit cards are good like that. For every big haul there is usually a few months before the next one to get your finances sorted again. Staying off ebay is also helpful.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I tend to just buy them when I see them cheap ($20 or less). It's gotta be something I really want to pay more than $20 for, which does happen too of course. It helps to not have a wantlist, that way I'm not going to ebay with any "must-buy" records to search for. I also think a lot of luck & a lot of hard work comes into play when hunting down those little bastards. But I don't think I am a big 45 "balleur" at all, probably 80% of my collection have been $5 or under records. I don't really find budgeting comes into it: for example, the last time I dropped serious money in one day on 45s I just put it on my credit card & paid it off bit by bit, credit cards are good like that. For every big haul there is usually a few months before the next one to get your finances sorted again. Staying off ebay is also helpful.

Just wondering if you feel the need to buy more 45s (cheap or rare), simply because you're buying singles, instead of an LP where you get like 10 songs.

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    Who has a budget??

uhh

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Who has a budget??

uhh

It's ok though, it comes with free shipping!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Phew, that's good.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Just wondering if you feel the need to buy more 45s (cheap or rare), simply because you're buying singles, instead of an LP where you get like 10 songs.
    Not really "feel the need" but it does work out that I generally buy more singles. But it's definitely not a "less songs per record so I buy more to get more music" thing. It's just what I look for most, I'll never go to ebay looking for LPs (I don't think I've ever bought an LP off ebay), but I will go there to look for a 45 that I want to get quickly.

• Who has a budget??

uhh

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Phew, that's good.

And free tape:

Vinyl is in VG condition; decent gloss and labels, but tightly cracked in two places and repaired with clear tape.

...and I love how the $4,000 single is just sitting unprotected on a skanky-looking (moldy?) linoleum counter.

YOU WOULDN"T TREAT SALT LIKE THAT, NOW WOULD YOU?????//???///

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    ...and I love how the $4,000 single is just sitting unprotected on a skanky-looking (moldy?) linoleum counter.

YOU WOULDN"T TREAT SALT LIKE THAT, NOW WOULD YOU?????//???///

Yeah, or as that guy in "Celebrity Fit Club" said recently, "Tocarra, have some class".

Who has a budget??

I guess I do.

I doo too. Basically, fill your head with the knowledge of old and get out into the field. I've paid well for some of my rarer items but I've scored many more at WAY below market value.

In the early days I was chasing the big ticket items more agressively but after a while you just learn to be patient and wait.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The best thing to do with 45s is grab a big ass box full of them and start digging. There are a million great soul 45s that retail for $10 and under. But you can't know what's what until you're flipping through stacks of singles and listening to stuff you don't know.

Can't learn shit about shit surfing ebay, true for LPs as well.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    BRAND NEW SOULSTRUT CONCEPT/QUESTION:

What's the most you've ever paid for one of those shitty little overpriced singles?

I'll start:

I paid $300 once.

I've paid $50-$100 bunches of times.

Now you go.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Who has a budget??

I guess I do.

I doo too. Basically, fill your head with the knowledge of old and get out into the field. I've paid well for some of my rarer items but I've scored many more at WAY below market value.

In the early days I was chasing the big ticket items more agressively but after a while you just learn to be patient and wait.

This is perfectly stated. I would add...be selective. Decide which big ticket items you are willing to pay a lot for, and which are bullshit hype. Trust your own taste; not some raerer than raer types on a message board.

$300 once.
    $200 twice.
    $100-$150 - maybe 7.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

most of your top shelf 45s arent available on LPs, a ton of artists with great 45s never even made an LP....a lot of times the only way to get the tune is to cop the 45.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    $300 once.
    $200 twice.
    $100-$150 - maybe 7.

Plaese to list em.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    The best thing to do with 45s is grab a big ass box full of them and start digging. There are a million great soul 45s that retail for $10 and under. But you can't know what's what until you're flipping through stacks of singles and listening to stuff you don't know.

Can't learn shit about shit surfing ebay, true for LPs as well.

Especially since most eBay dealers tend to be WAAAAY off the mark with their descriptions ("The Fifth Dimension - raer psych funk!!").

I regret none:

$300- Esquires, Now "Have a Party" (I now start each DJ gig with this one.)
    $200- Chantells "Indian Giver"
    $200- James Knight, "Save Me" (a little less, actually, but good enough for government work.)

The hundos don't stand out off the top of the head.

It is worth noting- the biggest price range spent is definitely $1-$10.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Who has a budget??

I never thought about it in those terms, since I seldom pay more than $5 for a single. To hell with "market value," prices naturally fluctuate from dealer to dealer, and I know better than to trust a record vendor who follows the price guides religiously. They'll take something as common as King Harvest's "Dancing In The Moonlight," dub it "RAER PSYCH LONER FOLK," and jack up the price to $10.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

$200- James Knight, "Save Me"

Grr, painful snipe memories of this one are still fresh in my head.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

$300- Esquires, Now "Have a Party" (I now start each DJ gig with this one.)
    $200- Chantells "Indian Giver"
    $200- James Knight, "Save Me" (a little less, actually, but good enough for government work.)

baller!

I've paid $120 and turned it around for $200, but I'm ready to drop loot on a few titles if they ever turn up...

$200- James Knight, "Save Me"

Grr, painful snipe memories of this one are still fresh in my head.

Wasn't a snipe...Not on me, bro.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I never thought about it in those terms, since I seldom pay more than $5 for a single. To hell with "market value," prices naturally fluctuate from dealer to dealer, and I know better than to trust a record vendor who follows the price guides religiously. They'll take something as common as King Harvest's "Dancing In The Moonlight," dub it "RAER PSYCH LONER FOLK," and jack up the price to $10.

you sound poor

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    It was that punk gymespucky. Sniped me a few days ago.

BRAND NEW SOULSTRUT CONCEPT/QUESTION:

What's the most you've ever paid for one of those shitty little overpriced singles?

I'll start:

I paid $300 once.

I've paid $50-$100 bunches of times.

Now you go.

Never more than $100 but I've gone that far maybe 3 or 4 times. Many in the 50-75 range and tons in the $20 and $10 and under range.