Earthquake in China

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Terrifying. My thoughts are with everyone.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My ex-girlfriend's in China, I believe in Changshua(?) or something like that.

Can somebody please tell me if this is anywhere near the earthquake? I don't know the area and I'm really Frickin' shook right now.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Crazy. I was just in Shanghai on Friday. This is very tragic. I have to call my homegirl Nina in Shanghai and make sure everything is cool. I think Shanghai is okay. The quake was centered in the Sichaun province in central China. I was in Sichaun back in 87. It is a beautiful part of the country. Herm, do you the area of the country your friend is in?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Changsha is like 560 miles from Chengdu

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I think she's ok. That's upper eastern China. The quake hit middle/lower Sichuan province. I have a bad feeling this is only going to get worse once the reach the epicenter.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's crazy is that NPR's All Things Considered staff is in Chengdu right now. Peep:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/chengdu/2008/05/hear_us_experience_the_earthqu_1.html

Talking about being the ground zero for reporting.

5000 dead in a single county. Damn.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

Lots of disasters to respond to right now. Georgia, Chile, Burma, and now this. I guess I'll go write a check to Mercy Corps.

On even sadder news George Bush said about the Tornadoes in OK and MO, "This is a very sad Mothers Day for those who died".

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    5000 dead in a single county.

Chinese govt is saying at least 8600 deaths, with more to come. gawdamnnn...

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    its reached 10,000+ this morning.

even HK felt a little bit of the quake...

then there was the disaster in Burma last week..

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

then there was the disaster in Burma last week..

This is really horrible.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    it feels like it

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

Yeah man, it's pretty crazy. We have about a 500+ students and teachers from my school out there right now trying to get back to HK. They are all ok but they are in Chengdu and roads and airports are a mess. It's insane, they are really worried about after-shocks right now and are teaching the students what to do if it does happen.

I don't know about "Last Days." The last quake in China of this magnitude, back in the mid 70s, killed 240,000 (and like Burma, at the time, the gov't refused to let much foreign aid come in).

I don't see god's hand in much of this, least of all in Burma where you can blame the mounting death toll on the goddamn junta.

I don't know about "Last Days." The last quake in China of this magnitude, back in the mid 70s, killed 240,000 (and like Burma, at the time, the gov't refused to let much foreign aid come in).

I don't see god's hand in much of this, least of all in Burma where you can blame the mounting death toll on the goddamn junta.

Thank you.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

the junta sure isn't helping, but it's my understanding that when the cyclone hit land it killed right off the bat about as many people as the Chinese quake has killed to date. surely the gov't's foot dragging has caused the deaths of thousands more, but G-O-D surely had his/her hand in this.

EDIT: the death tolls seem about equal from what I'm reading. hard to know I guess.

the junta sure isn't helping, but it's my understanding that when the cyclone hit land it killed right off the bat about as many people as the Chinese quake has killed to date. surely the gov't's foot dragging has caused the deaths of thousands more, but G-O-D surely had his/her hand in this.

EDIT: the death tolls seem about equal from what I'm reading. hard to know I guess.

Do we really believe that G-d punishes humans with the weather and earthquakes and volcanoes?

I know you don't believe in any end days nonsense as spelled out in Revelations.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Do we really believe that G-d punishes humans with the weather and earthquakes and volcanoes?

I know you don't believe in any end days nonsense as spelled out in Revelations.

READ THE BOOK.

READ THE BOOK.

Some day I will start a theology strut thread.

I like the interpretation that after creation G-d left our universe and gave man free will. When G-d left it tore the fabric of the universe and it is our job here on earth to repair it.

I understand that the Torah has stories of floods and plagues and pillars of salt, but I don't look to those to explain my world today.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    we take millions of gallons of oil from the ground, we have earthquakes. we burn it and send it into the air, we have typhoons. its us... god is filling a void for lamen.

I really can't tell how serious people are being right now but for real, some of this talk is starting to sound as asinine as the idea that Katrina was punishment for gay parades.

I'm expecting Burma to hit over 100,000, easily. China is likely to be 30-40,000, minimum.

Plus another cyclone possibly on its way into Burma.

This story is one of the devastating pieces of radio I've ever heard:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90447603

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Part of my job is sorting photos from the various wires and agencies, and I have seen so many photos of children's bodies being pulled out of rubble in the last 3 days that it's seriously affecting my mood. Especially the images of parents crying over their lost children. I made sure to hug my kids extra hard last night.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I'm seeing stuff like 50,000 dead on CBC news. It's sickening to even think about.