Group Home - Livin' Proof!

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Let's revisit this Primo CLASSIC. I'm sayin', NOTHING was fuckin' with this album when it dropped in 95'. Primo really did his thing with this one. Been playing this all day folls. "Eatin' chicken and rice and yo these hoes look nice"

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I HIT YO MOMS IN THE HEAD WITH A METALPIPE

Oh Snap! LOL. Lil' Dap and Melachi have got some mad funny lyrics on this album. Their lyrics are part of the reason why I like it so much.

"I'm gettin' more iller than the zodiac killa'"

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    The intro to the album, one of the nicest loops ever. What's the original to that BTW?

• this is so damn hot. hip hop at its best!!
    thank you for reminding me of this, i have to pull this one out the shelf again!

• The Amel Larrieux Remix of Suspended in time isnt bad either. But Primo is the shiz. I saw him with Pete Rock in LA a couple weeks ago. Anyone manage to catch this one?

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    what was they're affiliation with brainsick mob/ enterprize? that dude jack the ripper sounds like lil dap

http://www.zshare.net/audio/11896818ed67fd8b/

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The intro to the album, one of the nicest loops ever. What's the original to that BTW?

"Yesterday" by Wes Montgomery

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    one of the best Hip Hop albums ever. and not just the beats... the wack raps, too

• HamHam 872 Posts
    what was they're affiliation with brainsick mob/ enterprize? that dude jack the ripper sounds like lil dap

http://www.zshare.net/audio/11896818ed67fd8b/

that's lil daps brother

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    I be rollin like a battlecat[/b]

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    this album is the second most underated album next to company flow's funcrusher

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

This was a perfectly good thread, and look what you done did to it.....

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    ok maybe vagina diner..?!?!?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

how bout this one...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    No. and No.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Top 3 Rap album status!

Deal.

Shit is

Who exactly "underrated" "Funcrusher"?

As for Group Home...the last few times I went back to listen to this, the lyrics didn't really bother me unlike going back to listen to Jeru's albums which have seemingly gotten worse with age (despite some excellent Premier beats too). Maybe that's b/c Dap and Malachi were a lot less pretentious than the Damaja.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

As for Group Home...the last few times I went back to listen to this, the lyrics didn't really bother me unlike going back to listen to Jeru's albums which have seemingly gotten worse with age (despite some excellent Premier beats too). Maybe that's b/c Dap and Malachi were a lot less pretentious than the Damaja.

Back in the day, Jeru told my girl he loves f*cking white bitches like her because their pink skin looks so good against his black dick.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts

Yea stuff that takes itself to seriously rarely ages well. Even if the shit is deep. Not that Company Flow was underrated or anything but primo was putting mad co flow tracks on his mixtapes. Cant front on premiers juggle of 8 steps to perfection.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    while they had some classics that still stand up today, Malachi really sucks as a rapper.

selling these for those interested...check the sales page.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

how bout this one...

can anyone post up that "Anatomy Of An Asswhooping" freestyle from that green vinyl promo?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Arguably Premier's Best production work.

I hear this said about the album a lot and but never got why it's developed as a conventional wisdom.

It came out in the same era as both the Jeru albums, plus "Hard to Earn" and to me, as strictly beats, I'd say any of those had some incredible stuff on there. Do folks think the GH album is far and away superior, in terms as a production effort?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I've always revered "Suspended in time" as the choice cut in terms of funny GH lyrics but yesterday "Livin proof" came on Sirius and it is definitely neck and neck with SIT. The pauses are what do it for me:

Yo I rock on the block with the real hip-hop
    As you start to clock...... and jock

Im goin off on the mic insane, out of sight
    When I take flight (like who kid? )...... like mike

Its like that, sh*t I jumped off the roof
    Pysch...... cause I wouldnt be livin proof

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts

I hear this said about the album a lot and but never got why it's developed as a conventional wisdom.

It came out in the same era as both the Jeru albums, plus "Hard to Earn" and to me, as strictly beats, I'd say any of those had some incredible stuff on there. Do folks think the GH album is far and away superior, in terms as a production effort?

I think it's his best work, it's a little hard to pinpoint exactly why. He was able to make two of the worst rappers on earth listenable maybe? All I know that the beat to Supa Star just blows my mind everytime I hear it. I think all of the beats are pretty simple but bangin and they all fit together.. And not a dud beat on it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    one of the best Hip Hop albums ever. and not just the beats... the wack raps, too

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    "Livin proof"

The thing I find most amazing about this track (apart from those drums) is the original sample used by Primo, it's such a non-sample and most producers would skip right over it while listening, the way he flipped is a testament to his talent.

I think Lil Dap said that Malachi refused to write rhymes and freestlyed each one on the spot. That would explain a lot. Seriously though, exactly how much of these guy's weed stash did Primo smoke to owe them these beats?

"Livin proof"

The thing I find most amazing about this track (apart from those drums) is the original sample used by Primo, it's such a non-sample and most producers would skip right over it while listening, the way he flipped is a testament to his talent.

I like the sample for Up Against the Wall (Low Budget mix). It's just a tiny little change in the song, kind of like what he did for Mass Appeal. Stuff that normally skips by your head when casually listening to something.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Leftovers from the Jeru sessions.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Do folks think the GH album is far and away superior, in terms as a production effort?

GH has a more "street" feel than the other joints IMO. And that is probably due to the MC's who because of the "looseness", it comes off as less calculated as a Jeru effort or Hard To Earn. I think Primo just hit his stride hard at this point.