Band Of Gypsies DVD????

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
The Band Of Gypsies DVD DVD.Does anyone have this. I let it slide, and now i dont see it anymore.How's the footage,extras,sound...etc.Is it a must cop?

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the main documentary is ok, nothing you would watch more than once or twice...but the bonus featue that makes it a must have, is damn near the enitre show of one of the Fillmore nights (it was filmed on prehistoric video tape, so it drops out and you miss most of "Earth Blues") but the rest of the show is intact...so ridiculous to see "Machine Gun" being played...the other bonus faeture is just a photogallery, but I have watched that concert at least 50 times since I got the DVD when it came out. As for it still being in print/available, I have no idea.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I found this at the flea market two months ago and agree completely with the review above. So glad they filmed this show. Did the Fillmore East film every band that played there? I know they recorded pretty much everything.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cool, ill cop.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    It is worthy, but the actual documentary is worth watching at least once. The unseen videotaped footage however makes it all worthwhile. Video technology back then was not as it is now, and often times the cameras and carrier to hold the actual recorder (not unlike the old Beta and VHS camera/carrier packs) was too much for one or two people to handle.

They were done on a case by case basis, there was one guy who asked the folks at Woodstock if he could use his video camera to cover some of the artists. He was given approval, and you can find that footage in a number of documentaries. If you are familiar with that footage, than the Band Of Gypsys stuff is very similar.

The Fillmore (East or West) did not make it a habit to document their concerts on video or film, but they always kept audio tapes on stand-by. Have you heard of Wolfgang's Vault? It is a website done from the archives of Bill Graham to sell not only memorabilia, but they are also dipping into his tape library and releasing concerts, radio sessions, loads of stuff that were never properly released or heavily bootlegged over the years:
    http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    You tube has some of the footage from the Band of Gypsies.