Selling question for the pros....

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
On ebay do you find it better to sell records individually or do you get good results doing a lot? Like say if you have more than one record by an artist is it advantageous to do like a 'Redman pack' with 3 or 4 of his singles?thanks!

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i was thinking the same thing lately. i have whole 12" discographies of artists that are less than sought after but maybe if i offer them all together???

• ive never had much luck with lots. the only way i would make one is if i thought the individual records would not sell on their own. also i dont think its a good idea to put one really good record in with a bunch of crap because a lot of times people either dont want or already have the other records in the lot and dont wanna pay the extra shipping on a bunch of records they dont want or need.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    thanks FBP, that's kinda what I figured. I should do a follow-up question though: what about series of records? I got Cracker beats vol 1-7 and was wondering if that would sell better as a set or individually?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Selling in lots is great if you are either a) unloading a ton of records fast, and/or b) don't know the value of what you have. Otherwise, I don't think they're worth it. Your chances of getting top dollar are much slimmer.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    selling lots works for stuff like drums and samples. You can throw a bunch of not so great breaks up with an audio clip of all of them and leave them secret squirrel and end up with $30 for 7 records.

Hip hop lots are generally crap, so I (and probably most people) don't look at them. If it's not worth it to sell the 3 redmans alone it's probably not worht the lot. Or if you don't care about them and just want a flat fee and want to get rid of them, do it. Just don't expect the "lot" aspect to make it a big selling point.

If it were three singles from his first two albums that might be interesting, but I would assume you'd get more if you sold them individually.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    selling lots works for stuff like drums and samples. You can throw a bunch of not so great breaks up with an audio clip of all of them and leave them secret squirrel and end up with $30 for 7 records.

Do breaks even sell any more? They used to pay my rent 8 years ago and I've had an overflowing crate in the corner staring at me for a year or two now. I was gonna put together a lot of 50 whatever joints and sell the more deserving LP's separate one week.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

Do breaks even sell any more?
    Yeah, breaks still sell. It's not what it used to be, but it definately hasn't completely died off.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, lots can be pretty effective when you've got several related records that are not total crap but would not get a lot of action individually. IE: 6 records that you might struggle to sell individually for $5 a piece can sometimes average $8-10 each in a lot. Not the greatest hustle but it can help get rid of that box of junk you'd get 15 cents a piece for at Amoeba.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yeah, lots can be pretty effective when you've got several related records that are not total crap but would not get a lot of action individually. IE: 6 records that you might struggle to sell individually for $5 a piece can sometimes average $8-10 each in a lot.

I believe the one kala refers to this as a "digging starter kit".

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, lots can be pretty effective when you've got several related records that are not total crap but would not get a lot of action individually. IE: 6 records that you might struggle to sell individually for $5 a piece can sometimes average $8-10 each in a lot.

He is the undisputed champ of getting $101.05 for a lot of 97 records.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

He is the undisputed champ of getting $101.05 for a lot of 97 records.

Heavy in the game!