OK Real Deal Situation In Need Of Advice!!!

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
about a month ago i made a post on Craigslist to sell my Fender Strat. I traded a Neumann mic for it about a year ago to what i thought was a well respected private dealer in NY. He sold me a complete fake. it wasnt American made. it wasnt a custom shop series. i dont know too much about guitars other than that i needed an electric guitar and i didnt pay cash for it.so some kid on ebay says he will buy it for $800. i graciously accept. i come into the city so this guy can try thr guitar out. he does and loves how it plays. gives me $800 cash for it. thanks me and i am on my way.NOW!!!!3 days later i get a call. he took it to an appraiser and they said it was a complete fake. tells me i have to make good or i am going to have a huge problem!! Now. i has no clue this guitar was fake. in fact, the appraiser said it was the best fake job he has ever seen....i am not a person who will rip people off. the problem is i used some of the much needed money to pay off bills.so all i had to offer the kid back was $600. he told me "youre a good guy. i only want $100 back whenever you get it". he tells me he i very well of as is his family so he knows i am good for it. i mean i brought the kids money backthere are numerous warnings on Craigslist about not getting scammed. although i had no clue it was a fake i couldve easily said "whats done is done and taken his money.fast forward a few weeks. he is asking me for the $100. while it isnt a lot of money i simply dont have it at the moment~~i tell him i dont have it and that i am busy with work this is his email response..."Ok if you work in the city I can meet you. I've given u a good amount of time, and everyones got problems and excuses."oh yea. i forgot to tell you guys that my sig on my email contains an old address and my cell number. so i respond with.."i am sorry but you know what kind of situation i am in. i was morethan nice enough to make good when i easily could of walked away withyour money. but i am not that kind of person. no matter what you did,you wouldnt of tracked me down. that is my old address. i dont evenknow who lives there. and i am not even considered a resident of mt.vernon (there is no record of me being there)so before you accuse me of having excuses please realize that i made amistake as did you in buying the guitar. you will have to wait alittle while before i can make good on the $100 but i promise i will"so he replies with"Fuck you. Keep the 100 and let me find you. You better have paid cash for that cell # every payment or its not yours."so here i am typing this. someone threatening to find me. and making threats about my cell phone???what do i do??

Comments

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

i tell him i dont have it and that i am busy with work
    Maybe you shouldn't have told him that?

Other than that I think you should just appease the man and give him a reasonable timeframe within which you can get his money.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    well i really dont have time to get to him for his money. i dont want him coming here. and i dont have his money.

i gave him a timeframe. and he gave me the "dont worry about it. whenever u have the money"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Man Too Obese to Get into Court Room - Judge Uses Initiative
    May 3, 2008 ?? A Long Island man, weighing 500 lbs, is being prosecuted for selling fake guitars. However, the Judge at his trial had a problem,,,, the accused couldn???t get into the Court house due to his huge size. The judge was undeterred by this problem and promptly held the proceedings in the court house car park with the accused sitting in a pick-up truck!

ha. i heard that on the news.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i wouldnt respond again to him, sounds like he'll dry up and blow away. he would have demanded a full refund if he truly wasnt satisfied with the guitar. asking for $100 is just digging for free $. and now he says keep it, so, hell, keep it! he probably bought it with his daddys $. he cant find you anyway, right? brush that dirt off like obama.

b/w, if anything ever does come from it, like you actually think he might find you and threaten you etc, well, now its a police matter and hes the one who will end up in trouble...

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    See if he'll take your copy of Skull Snaps.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    fight that shit out bee. no money, just jabs.

who wins, wins.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Do me a favor and describe this individual.
    Frail emo white?
    Juiced up guido cock rocker?
    Surly 30 something never was?
    Cheap shoes/clothes?

This will help all of us to decide whether you should be scurrred or not (you shouldn't, BTW).

im not scared of him. but i dont want family or my personal billing invoices/accounts involved. i doubt he can even do anything about it.

he is a frail asian kid who lives on 34th in Manhattan and yes his parents bought him his apartment.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    damn, u need change the title of this thread. some skinny asian kid wants to fight you over $100...i faced a bigger issue at lunch, deciding whether or not to get chips with my sandwich.

ha. yea u right. kid just came at me with some threatening shit about my cell phone and my past bills and shit...i was like WHAT?

• run up in his crib... take things.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Are folks seriously suggesting he not pay this guy back? What if it were one of you on the other side of this?

Did you know it was a fake when you sold it to him?

You did him a big favour by not walking away with his money? If that's the kind of reasoning you want to use, then he's doing you a big favour by not hounding you for the full $800, or even the $600 you offered. He probably realizes now that he should have had it appraised or asked for some proof of authenticity before buying it.

If I'm reading right, you went from having $600 to pay him back with to not having $100? What do you think is a reasonable period of time for "whenever you can" when it's between two strangers in a business transaction? You may not be the type to rip people off, but can you not see how it may start looking to him like you are?

Why prolong this? Find some way to get $100, and if you really have no time whatsoever, send him an MO. Just dead it - a simple stupid thing is turning into a bigger thing than need be.

Or you can rip him off cause the kids in the caf are egging you on because dude is a skinny Asian kid with rich parents.

i didnt know it was fake. i just gave him his money back. he told me

"the $100 u owe me isnt a big deal to me. the $800 isnt a big deal either but its the principle. pay me whenever u can"

then i am threatened.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Are folks seriously suggesting he not pay this guy back? What if it were one of you on the other side of this?

Absolutely. As soon as he said:

"Fuck you. Keep the 100 and let me find you. You better have paid cash for that cell # every payment or its not yours."

Any agreed upon transactions are now null & void.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    What is he threatening to do to/with your cell phone? I don't get that part.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

so all i had to offer the kid back was $600. he told me "youre a good guy. i only want $100 back whenever you get it". he tells me he i very well of as is his family so he knows i am good for it. i mean i brought the kids money back

I have a hard time understanding what you are saying here. But it seems that he is content with a $100 partial refund? no?
    If that is the case, his story screams bullshit. Whether he got the guitar appraised or not is beside the point. No man who buys a fake guitar would only want $100 back. ...unless it is just a lure to get you face to face.

• As soon as he said:

"Fuck you. Keep the 100 and let me find you. You better have paid cash for that cell # every payment or its not yours."

Any agreed upon dealings are now null & void.

run up in his crib... take things.

Or you can rip him off cause the kids in the caf are egging you on because dude is a skinny Asian kid with rich parents.

i think the kids in the caf aren't able to decipher what he is talking about, other than being worried about the skinny asian kid coming after him.

if u sold him something for $800 under false pretenses the contract is invalid. not sure if i understand you completely, but if u claimed it was a fender, and its not, he is entitled to a refund. end of story.

he paid me $800 for my guitar

i used $200 of it to pay sonme bills

told me it was fake 3 days later

paid him back what i had left which was $600

owe him $200 still but told me since i am honest he only wants $100 and to give it to him when I CAN!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the cell shit sounds like he could be some hacker dude...saying you "better have paid cash" meaning he can get some bank numbers or some shit that the bill was paid with...just a guess.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    What is he threatening to do to/with your cell phone? I don't get that part.

Dem asians know dem computers & celly hakks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Did you get your guitar back??

he gave me the guitar back. should i gt my number changed immediately?

this is what i was worried about

you should post flyers around his block hinting towards the situation. then post new ones advertising the same guitar only with a phone number listed on it. this phone number will one from a $25 tracphone you purchased from a gas station in the palisades.

once he contacts you, just fusk with his mind like you're another seller that has possibly been scammed by the same person [you].

try and find out his exact location and sneak into his building, undress in the stairway, and super glue raisins to your body and put on a chimp mask. knock on his door and rock him in the face. then run in and steal all his forks/spoons/chopsticks leaving only dull knives to eat with. take a shit in one of his shoes, and be out the door. put your clothes back on, and throw all his silverware in the middle of the street 3 blocks away where he will hopefully see it.

this will teach him that he's dealing with a madman.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    he paid me $800 for my guitar

i used $200 of it to pay sonme bills

told me it was fake 3 days later

paid him back what i had left which was $600

owe him $200 still but told me since i am honest he only wants $100 and to give it to him when I CAN!!

OK - that is more clear. it read that he was taking only $100 over the $800 or even $600 and that you weren't paying him that.

If it were me, I would pay him the full $200 despite what he's saying so not to have any surprise dealings with him in the future when he threatens to trace you through your grocery purchases because you still owe him $100.

then run in and steal all his forks/spoons/chopsticks

don't forget about his numchucks and while your there, make sure to hide his ninja suit and then take a crap on his bonzai tree

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Did you get the guitar back?
    Do you still have it?
    Why would he run out and get it appraised right after buying it?
    Are you sure it's a fake Strat?

just resell it on ebay, and hope he doesn't buy it again. ha!