PACKING BOX / SHIPPING QUESTIONS....

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
I'm trying to source shipping boxes for my records.From memory I used to use the U-HAUL boxes from back in the day... the book boxes.I checked the website and they say they are 12"x12"x17".....but wouldn't this be too small??? cuz i think you'd need a little more than 12" to fit a record in there snug and seal the box?Also, anyone know a good international freight forwarder by air that is non-expensive...All the ones I used to use, don't do personal affects after 9/11.... what a crock of f-in bullshit....the world we live in post 9/11 sucks. the limitations on luggage, all the rules....I HATE MOVING.peace.Bevan

Comments

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm trying to source shipping boxes for my records.

From memory I used to use the U-HAUL boxes from back in the day... the book boxes.

I checked the website and they say they are 12"x12"x17".....

but wouldn't this be too small??? cuz i think you'd need a little more than 12" to fit a record in there snug and seal the box?

Yeah, you need to find 12.5" x 12.5" or 13" x 13" boxes. Unfortunately for record people, 12" x 12" is universal for the rest of the shipping world.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    The U-Haul boxes work. You want the one called "small box".

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    9/11 brought us together, and tore freight carriers apart.

but yo, international by air? that'll be somewhat tough.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    i used to use shipping companies like BAX Global and that, shit was MAD cheap compared to going to the post...

then DHL used to have a special "budget" box, but they kinda caught on that they were loosing out

I never send records by sea, the amount of times when I was young getting warped records really made me never even think about it again...

b

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    ohhh okay, so you're just sending records? i thought you were talking about moving like your whole house type schitt.

i was gonna say try Evergreen, but they deal with bigger freight traffic. doesn't hurt to look into it though.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Thanks man, I'll take a look into it, the best price I can get at the moment for 120kg (about 450-500 record) is 430 pounds / 850 US dollars. from my door to the airport.

*OOF!*

Yeah, all the boxes I found are 12"x12" and from memory, whilst the U-Haul ones work, the other companies are a tad bit too small and tight....

In Japan it was easy, just had to go to some record store and ask for their used boxes... there's like 1 record store here and they don't really order volume

sigh, sigh, sigh...

bev