first trailer for African digging documentary

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Film maker Leigh Iacobucci just sent me this as a first glimpse of what she has filmed when following me around Ghana, Togo and Benin for 4 weeks in March and April. Of course this is only a very rough clip done within the first few days after her return. She shot some great stuff like Gilles Gnonnas performing his fathers' Afrobeat bomb "okpo videa bassouo" as well as interviews with El Rego, Gustave Bentho (Poly Rythmo) and Danialouh Sagbohan.

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    YES

I love that you got Sayer in there too.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

I love that you got Sayer in there too.

I remember flipping through that stack and thinking "oh, I hope she cought that Sayer on camera..." I had to laugh when I viewed this a few minutes ago...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Looks dope Frank. Congrats

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
    yeah this is going to be dope. once its done should submit it to sundance and other film festivals.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    AWESOME!!

Please, let us know when the doc is ready.
    Congratulations, much luck, and thanks for sharing.

Peace

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    :melt:

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    YES!

You know you are a bastard right? here i am sitting in my crappy little office about to take the tram home with all the other suckers...

Fuckin gold man.

and MAJOR cosign on film festivals.

wicked man, just wicked.

Now, about that Amsterdam trip...

• that was really cool. its one thing to have a mental image of you doing this when you read the stories, and quite another thing to watch it in real life.
    cant wait to see more.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    that looks amazing

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    Excellent man.... so good of you to get this all documented. I can't wait to see the final product!

• That was excellent, I could watch a lot more

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Wow.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Woooo, very dope! Can't wait to see the rest.

• WOW. this just made my day.

seriously looking forward to the premiere of this, and your NYC afro-funk nights. that's still happening right?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

You know you are a bastard right?

Now, about that Amsterdam trip...

I've heard that said before on occasion...

about the Amsterdam trip, I might get to Berlin this summer but just to organise the shipping of my storage unit to NYC but this might literally be a two day trip. maybe next year... This summer looks like one big headache, transcontinental moves are a nightmare. Especially with three dogs who need to get their vaccination papers in order... we've been sending blood serum from Africa to some licenced lab in Europe, first shippment got spoilt due to heat and the second got lost on the way and surfaced again after five days... that's what you get for UPS express delivery that costs 70,- Euros for three small plastic tubes...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    your NYC afro-funk nights. that's still happening right?

that's still happening!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    respect man. looks interesting

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Great stuff!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Simply Beautiful

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    that was really cool. its one thing to have a mental image of you doing this when you read the stories, and quite another thing to watch it in real life.
    cant wait to see more.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Hats off to you, sir.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    Oh yeah, this looks great Frank!

Holla at me if you ever find yourself in Senegal, I'll buy you a beer and you can school me in Afro-funk!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Digging Superhero!

Looks amazing Frank. Can't wait to see the full thing - and catch up when you're back in NYC!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ... catch up when you're back in NYC!

I'll step through your door with a 6-pack one day early in July...

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Digging Superhero!

I'll def make a trip up to NY to go to one of your nights.

• hey frank,

what up! Cannot wait to see Gilles Gnonnas perform the song I just comped. on the new Off Track..thanks for hooking us up with him! By the way, let me know when you're in NYC again.

amir

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    another reason I'm proud to be a Strutter, can't wait to see the whole thing man, and I will definitely be checking out your night whenever I make it out to NY.

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    lord a mercy. Looking forward to seeing the whole she-bang.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    beyond ill.

• promos are floating around now..i hope you guys like..bbe is trying to license that film of gilles performing his father's song...so we will see...thanks for the love ya'll!!

amir