LA promoters?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
having been frustrated at seeing a certain NY Latin soul artist get booked at venues where the average age is 40+, I wanted to try to coordinate a show for said artist in LA with someone who knows what the f--- they're doing and has the smarts to put together something at the El Rey or similar venue and draw both OG fans and some younger folk. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Hey O, if your thinking the El rey, the best way to go would be Goldenvoice - i think they run that joint for the most part... I can't name that many promoters i would want a legend like that to get in bed with, only people I WOULDN't want him to have to deal with in the post-real LA scene.

Conga Room could pull both demographics though, come to think of it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thanks T. The prob is that said artist doesn't have professional management (and refuses to) which is admirable in some ways but has limited his exposure in other ways. Some of his promoters out here in Cali have been straight cornball and they're booking him at places like where I'm at now - a cookie-cut restaurant/bar in West Covina. I'm glad it's tapping into a local population rather than say straight hipsters but I'm one of the youngest folks in here and the $25 cover means a lot of other folks ain't gonna be trying to roll through. There has to be a better middle ground. I could see something with the Boogaloo Assassins opening and a pairing with Francisco Aguabella.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Hey you should tell him to hit up afrofunke. J sole has a lot of cool live musical acts come through. Chico mann is playing there this week and I know Dwight Trible played with Carlos Nino a month or so ago. Its an afro beat night but he throws in lots of latin and such. I dont know what the budget is or whatever but if your interested i'll send you his email.

The budget would be modest but not on the cheap since it would, at the very least, involve travel for 3-4 people from NY on top of the performance fee.

In the end, the show tonight was cool - the folks who rolled through were a mix of lifelong fans (who are always fun to see in action, if not a little scary too) and some new ones who were grabbing at color photocopies of my Wax Poetics cover story image (not my idea, but certainly, not one I was mad at) that J__ was handing them out before his set kicked off.

But I'm still convinced he could do a venue closer to the city center, that appealed to people of a younger generation, and drew on a greater cross-section of the city's demographic (for example, I was the one of the only Asian persons I saw there and this shit was in West Covina, not exactly an area bereft of "my people.") I'll try Goldenvoice and maybe some of the folks I know at KCRW too.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Damn, that looked like fun...

Damn, that looked like fun...

Out in the Cooooooooove.

Lots of thick, 40+ women wearing clothes a few sizes too tight.

Not but whatever - if they want to get dressed up, go out for a night of drinking, dancing and JoBa, I'm not hating.