Yesterday's finds (in Argentina)

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
So I got this phone call from a guy "Yeah, my uncle is jazz piano player and he left me all his records when he moved to the USA" So there I go. Bang, instant Bill Evans collection for me!!!!!! Not all originals, but all near mint.Also, BA Jazz by no other that Jorge Lopez Ruiz!!!!!!! This one is raer even here!!What a great night! Lots of records cleaning to do now.......

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    So I got this phone call from a guy "Yeah, my uncle is jazz piano player and he left me all his records when he moved to the USA" So there I go. Bang, instant Bill Evans collection for me!!!!!! Not all originals, but all near mint.

Also, BA Jazz by no other that Jorge Lopez Ruiz!!!!!!! This one is raer even here!!

What a great night! Lots of records cleaning to do now.......
    NICE!!! Good shit.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    So I got this phone call from a guy "Yeah, my uncle is jazz piano player and he left me all his records when he moved to the USA" So there I go. Bang, instant Bill Evans collection for me!!!!!! Not all originals, but all near mint.

Also, BA Jazz by no other that Jorge Lopez Ruiz!!!!!!! This one is raer even here!!

What a great night! Lots of records cleaning to do now.......

You know who to trade with...

• You got a Fernando Gelbard for me? Been needing that ever since day one...

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    man I need a fernando gelbard too. i had one and sold it a couple years back on ebay. and i got an e-mail from fernando himself saying he was happy his record was worth so much but he didn't own any copies. peace, stein. . .

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    is didi the wooden glass of 2005 all of a sudden. Lots of talk about it, albeit deservedly.

is didi the wooden glass of 2005 all of a sudden. Lots of talk about it, albeit deservedly.

It's an extremely rare record in Argentina. The only jazz that was every truly poplar there was the dixieland/revival/crap genres and so these records were poorly distributed and generally unwanted. They usually appear only in the collections of serious jazz fiends. According to a fellow who is likely Argentina's greatest dealers--JLR knows who I'm talking about--you're only likely to turn one up in jazz collections of at least 2000 records.

Perhaps most importantly, the OG sounds inferior to the reissue. And know, Gelbard doesn't have copies. Sorry Nate.

You got a Fernando Gelbard for me? Been needing that ever since day one...

I agree. I popped out of my mammy and was like, Yo! I need a Fernando Gelbard! She never gave it to me and so I've always considered myself a deprived child.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Totally agree with Danno, Didi is a tough one even here.

And I think it's important to say a word about the "beautifull" artwork on the cover. Man, that Gelbard is a Rodhes genious, but does he look scary on that cover!!!

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    what is a fair value of this record ?

the only ones i can find are one on ebay for 125 (shredded cover), one on gemm for 250, one on popsike for 200, one on ebay unsold for 200 and one on musicstack for 327.

dave

• I was offered a copy once for $100. Wouldn't pay much more than that, IMO "Aleivacaia" (yes, I know I mispelt it) is THE track, while the rest suffers from that oft-abused fusion tag... although I hear the Rhodes on this record has been known to provide great in utero satisfaction.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i sold my didi for $60 i was real bummed about that. peace, stein.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Mr. Wizard!