Rep Your KOOLEST KINKS REKORD

SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
These guys got the DEEP catalog. Started in 64 and were still making classic tracks in the 80's. I know mad heads are gonna come in on some chinscratch action talmbout "VILLAGE GREEN PRESERVATION SOCIETY" and yo I ride full-out for that and all the mid-late 60's classics and the 70's sleepers and the 80's keepers ... but I definitely LISTEN to the first few albums the most, and I definitely gotta go with THE KINK KONTROVERSY on spins alone.It's got stone classics like Where Have all the Good Times Gone and 'Til the End of the Day, beauties like I am Free and the menacing You Can't Win ...And, it has my favorite Kinks dancefloor track, Gotta Get the First Plane Home:So, what k[/b]ind of K[/b]inK[/b]s K[/b]olleK[/b]tor are you?

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i think the only ones i have are Kinda Kinks and Kinks-Size...i need to stepp upp my game.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

These guys got the DEEP catalog. Started in 64 and were still making classic tracks in the 80's.

i avoid anything this band did after '71. before that, they were indeed one of the greatest of all time.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    A favourite song of theirs: "See my friends"

So dope and for its time truly - before Beatles did their drone type stuff.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

These guys got the DEEP catalog. Started in 64 and were still making classic tracks in the 80's.

i avoid anything this band did after '71. before that, they were indeed one of the greatest of all time.

and I ride for this bad boy...

• Ahh....The Kink Kontroversy. That was my first Kinks purchase. A stone mint UK pressing in about 1993/94 for ??8 off a dealer....those were the days

All of their 60's LP's are great (and loads of great non LP cuts on 45's) but Something Else is probably my favourite LP. Did it come under that same name in the US and feature the same tracks?

Tracklist is:
    David Watts
    Death Of A Clown
    Two Sisters
    No Return
    Harry Rag
    Tin Soldier Man
    Situation Vacant
    Love Me Till The Sun Shines
    Lazy Old Sun
    Afternoon Tea
    Funny Face
    End Of The Season
    Waterloo Sunset

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

It's hard to ride for any post Muswell Hillbillie lp in it's entirety, their are some good tracks
    but the albums are stinkers. Concept albums gone wild is the name of the game=NAGL.

As far as my favs I'll say:

But you could put on any album from their first through the previously mentioned Muswell Hillbillies
    and I'd be cool.
    Certainly one of my very favorite bands ever.

(and loads of great non LP cuts on 45's)

Getting the import CDs is a great way to get lot's of those cuts in one fell swoop, that's what
    I've done.

A fav tune for sure:

• SelinaKyle83SelinaKyle83 1,042 Posts
    (and loads of great non LP cuts on 45's)

Getting the import CDs is a great way to get lot's of those cuts in one fell swoop, that's what
    I've done.

A fav tune for sure:

And another of my all time fave's and certainly a reason why i think Wes Anderson's great!!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    this my koolest, because it is the first ever record I ever picked out and bought on my own in 1981.

I still have it...an important piece in my collection

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    wasn't one of the guys from the kinks a UK MTV moderator once?

And another of my all time fave's and certainly a reason why i think Wes Anderson's great!!

The Kinks tunes in Darjeeling went along way in making a severely flawed movie a tolerable experience.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    Muswell Hillbillies is crucial. Depressing twisted country.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Surprise, surprise - the same guys who won't listen to soul music after
    1975 won't listen to Kinks records past 1971. Why do you guys make these
    arbitrary "cut off years" for things? The Kinks were still making great
    songs well past 1971. Props to Hook-Up for repping "Give the People What
    They Want" - which is a GREAT album. All you post-60's Kinks hatters, please:

... and that's from 1984 ...

Post-1971 KinKs shredders: "Better Things" "Around the Dial" "Father Christmas"
    "Living on a Thin Line" "Destroyer" "Catch Me Now I'm Falling" "Come Dancing"
    "Rock n Roll Fantasy" "Sleepwalker" "Don't Forget To Dance" ... and more.

FOR SHAME, SOUL STRUT - FOR SHAME

arbitrary "cut off years" for things?

Because we heard it, didn't like it, and made the judgement. If you think I'm jiving, watch that 1977 episode of Saturday Night Live that the Kinks were on. Dave Davies is making guitar faces and wanking off something terrible, and if the Kinks' legacy was based on that, we wouldn't be having this thread!

Seriously, though - the Kinks' later music is okay. I grew up hearing that era of the band on FM radio. It's not an embarrassment. But you'd have to be to' up from the flo' up to think that period was essential.

On the other hand...that solo album that Ray Davies released a few short years ago was some kind of alright. I haven't played it in a while, but I remember liking it. Anybody else heard it?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've warmed to 70's Kinks after burning myself out on all their 60's records.

I've said it before but: Kink Katalog > Beatles Catalog.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

although my fave album is "something else"...i thought i'd rep the sole kinks disco 12"...pretty damn good too.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Because we heard it, didn't like it, and made the judgement. If you think I'm jiving, watch that 1977 episode of Saturday Night Live that the Kinks were on. Dave Davies is making guitar faces and wanking off something terrible, and if the Kinks' legacy was based on that, we wouldn't be having this thread!

Seriously, though - the Kinks' later music is okay. I grew up hearing that era of the band on FM radio. It's not an embarrassment. But you'd have to be to' up from the flo' up to think that period was essential.

On the other hand...that solo album that Ray Davies released a few short years ago was some kind of alright. I haven't played it in a while, but I remember liking it. Anybody else heard it?

although Im biased (see post) tell me another radio song from 1981 as good as "Destroyer", all I can think of is VH's "Everybody Wants Some" and RS "Start Me Up"...they still have gems WAY after 1971.

Because we heard it, didn't like it, and made the judgement. (T)he Kinks' later music is okay. I grew up hearing that era of the band on FM radio. It's not an embarrassment. But you'd have to be to' up from the flo' up to think that period was essential.

although Im biased (see post) tell me another radio song from 1981 as good as "Destroyer"

1981 was such a lame radio-rock year in the first place: REO, Kenny Rogers, "Bette Davis Eyes" and Loverboy. Compared to that, all of a sudden early-'80s Kinks is sounding good!

[
    Post-1971 KinKs shredders: "Better Things" "Around the Dial" "Father Christmas"
    "Living on a Thin Line" "Destroyer" "Catch Me Now I'm Falling" "Come Dancing"
    "Rock n Roll Fantasy" "Sleepwalker" "Don't Forget To Dance" ... and more.

FOR SHAME, SOUL STRUT - FOR SHAME /

They had some good tunes post '71, but I'm certainly not throwing on any of those
    albums. I can't stomach the schlock in between the few good songs.
    That's my story and I'm sticking too it!

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    The eternal classic:

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    to' up from the flo' up

"Isn't that what you call it?"

But yeah, I really need to hear Village preservation. So many people raving about it, it's reaching the tipping point for me...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    this my koolest, because it is the first ever record I ever picked out and bought on my own in 1981.

I still have it...an important piece in my collection

Yep, one of the first for me too. Bought at an army PX in Panama where I was spending a month with my grandma, aunt, and cousins, summer 1981.

I have always loved that album.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    to' up from the flo' up

"Isn't that what you call it?"

But yeah, I really need to hear Village preservation. So many people raving about it, it's reaching the tipping point for me...

I never really understood why this is the record nerd choice for Kinks albums. It makes me think people are just copping the one album everyone tells them they should like best and calling it a day. I heart Kinks Size and Kontroversy, but it's hard to go wrong with most of their stuff, and if you doubt the depth and quality of later-era Kinks, I dare you to listen to all 44 tracks of the Ultimate Kinks Collection and tell me which tracks you don't like. I can understand someone arguing against some later album cuts, but to dismiss their later work entirely is to throw the baby out with the bath water.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

i got Kinks Size first (the second one, that has All Of the Day and All of the Night), but this was the record that made me realize the Kinks were "special"... there are a like a million different budget release pressings of this one, so i got my copy for a dollar back when i was like 15... "something better beginging" was my song...

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts

Tracklist is:
    David Watts
    Death Of A Clown
    Two Sisters
    No Return
    Harry Rag
    Tin Soldier Man
    Situation Vacant
    Love Me Till The Sun Shines
    Lazy Old Sun
    Afternoon Tea
    Funny Face
    End Of The Season
    Waterloo Sunset

Yep, Something else has got to be the defining Kinks lp, better than Village Green in my opinion, just track after track of proper (english?) pop songs.

It also contains Waterloo Sunset which, don't know how its seen in the States, but in the UK pretty much gives the national anthem a run for its money these days.

Ray Davies is still going strong, his last lp was an alright listen, & he is still coming at things from a left field perspective that a lot of his contemporaries dropped a long time ago.

This should really be in the "great final albums" thread, but the Turtles' last album, Turtle Soup, was produced by Ray Davies and is a fine listen.

This should really be in the "great final albums" thread, but the Turtles' last album, Turtle Soup, was produced by Ray Davies and is a fine listen.

I actually thought about that one, because I agree that Turtle Soup
    is a fine album, but I thought Wooden Head was their final LP?

I actually thought about that one, because I agree that Turtle Soup
    is a fine album, but I thought Wooden Head was their final LP?

Wooden Head was more like an odds-and-sods outtake album.

Ah, yeah, I think I knew that at some point.
    I wish Ray had done more production back then -
    that album has a really nice sound to it.