Korean BBQ apreesh

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited May 2008 in Strut Central
Finally found a Korean joint in town...hit it up with some buddies last night...amazing. Pork, Beef, Squid and Shrimps...grilled up on the sunken grill in the middle of the table. A bazillion side dishes: kimchi, tofu, seaweed...icy cold beers and Soju(funny story, I saw some Korean dudes drinking it and asked for some and the waitress was all "oh no, we dont have it" then about a minute later an old lady came to the table and asked "you want soju?" we affirmed we did and then the bottle came out of the back...I dont think they have a liquor license, cool they thought we were worthy), cute waitress...good times, good times...will be a frequent customer. Yum.

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    this is my schitt right here: http://www.yechonrestaurant.com/

can you say, OPEN 24 HOURS?!?!

baleee-dat

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Man Soju is some real nasty shit to me.

I need an LA recommendation because I went to a charcoal joint that was supposed to be dope and it wasn't all that special. i mainly just burned my hands and drank what appeared to be gin.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

I need an LA recommendation because I went to a charcoal joint that was supposed to be dope and it wasn't all that special. i mainly just burned my hands and drank what appeared to be gin.

Oh Rly? LA is probably the mecca of Korean BBQ outside of Seoul; there's countless quality joints in K-Town.

On another note, the key to korean BBQ is the dope side dishes (bbq, dried fish, preserved cucumbers, etc...). In my travels, when there's shitty side dishses, the bbq is shitty.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Man Soju is some real nasty shit to me.

i will guess that u went to soot bul jip. im pretty sure if u ask them they will cook it for you. though i gotta say i like the cook-it-yourself thing cuz i like seeing the culture surrounding the grill thing. part of the experience is going to eat with the right people that know how to order and know how to cook that shit.

the great thing about ktown is the option of specialty dining. as opposed to the catch-all korean restaurant that will have everything from sushi to soontofu and all thats inbetween. there is also the rice squares which is a dining option indigenous to LA. i think theyre starting to do it in korea now, but it was started here by shik do rak on hoover and olympic. thats a good place to start for la ktown style fare. there are a number of more upscale korean bbq joints in ktown too like youngsusan and cholsun galbee. i happen to like tahoe galbi on wilshire and wilton. but you will pay for that shit.

this time of year i hit up the namyung (i know im spelling it wrong) joints. its the cold noodle shops in ktown good on a summers day. in any case, there are specialy fish, pig, beef, soup, shabushabu, sushi, noodle shops, chi-gae, sweets, chicken wings, barstyle (izakaya kine), bookings, etc to be offered up in ktown.

Yea definitely soot bul jip. It wasn't that it wasn't good. I just didn't know what was going down and though I tried to flip all the extras I didn't really know what was up. Plus my girl wasn't having a good time that night so maybe that colored the experience.
    Thanks for the tips, ima go hit up some spots in Ktown soon.

Got any good spots on the westside for any type of food?

i rarely cross fairfax. sorry dude.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

also, can we not say apreesh

it's on that level of saying beeje or abercrombie football

kam samida

what the fusk? Keep your offensive, douchebaggery outta here.

No worries man. I appreciate the tip either way.

Come out to soul sessions on may 9th if you get a chance... all the best DJs from the westside are invading soul sessions that night. I'll be playing early. Either way. Ima definitely get some namyung soon. thanks

whats soul sessions? is that the thing at the grandstar in chinatown?

Yep, every other friday. Its a great party. Im amped to finally get to play it.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    No worries man. I appreciate the tip either way.

Come out to soul sessions on may 9th if you get a chance... all the best DJs from the westside are invading soul strut that night. I'll be playing early. Either way. Ima definitely get some namyung soon. thanks

I may or may not be rolling through there with (drunk) homies - it's on my itinerary for next week.

I like that HUGE vegan Korean buffet joint in Ktown. They've got like 389 items, and the only thing that's not vegan is the cheese pizza(!?!?). What's that place called?

hey do you play at mandrake in culver city?

hey do you play at mandrake in culver city?

yes

me and spaceghost aka dj bathroom break.

what the fusk? Keep your offensive, douchebaggery outta here.

dude, face it...kegogi...i seen it, as well as the soup. who cares.

bbq that schitt up bee!

now let's keep it rolling...A VEGAN BBQ JOINT SOULMARCOSA????

i might have to come out to LA for sure now!

^ha! exactly. nothing offensive about eating dog.

im not sure what marco is talking about cuz i never heard of a vegan korean bbq joint in ktown. was it korean? whats craken in ktown right now is the wing joints. korean style wing joints. theyre popping up out here like pinkberries.

yeah i'm still fathoming how there could be a vegan korean bbq joint. that seems impossible, as the only place i ever went to that was actually vegan in korea was this one bakery that has a sister store in DC.

its gotta be some type of fusion spot cause if i know the republic of korea, and i do...they wouldn't have the slightest clue on how to prepare a meal without beef...or pork...or chicken. lol

Yo Shiggy, school me on the state of Korean clubbing in K-town these days? I used to roll up to those joints back in the late 90's/early 00's, spots like Velfarre, Karnak... That schitt was fun, albeit expensive.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    Yo Shiggy, school me on the state of Korean clubbing in K-town these days? I used to roll up to those joints back in the late 90's/early 00's, spots like Velfarre, Karnak... That schitt was fun, albeit expensive.

those places were the shit when I was 18 & 19 living in LA

You just buy a bottle of crown royal for your group and you get a table and they wouldnt card you???if you didnt go that route you would get carded

i

ha! well im too poor to step foot in a ktown club. karnak is still around. le prive closed up a few years ago, i thought i heard rumors about prostitution but im not sure. its gon reopen as le cercle. what is it with asians and their affinity for the fronch? anyways, i havent gone crabbing in ktown or LA for that matter. i went to crazy hook and dong songsa which are korean izakayas and folks get hella fucked up at them things.

those places were the shit when I was 18 & 19 living in LA

You just buy a bottle of crown royal for your group and you get a table and they wouldnt card you???if you didnt go that route you would get carded

i

Hell yeah - You feel me?!!! Crown Royal was like $350 (this was before every club had bottle service) and the schitty fruit place was like $100. Sure, you'd be out of pocket $200 that night but it would be worth it. Plus, you could tell "book" some ladies and tell the waiter to drag them over to your table.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm leaving for Seoul Saturday afternoon. Sunday night I will be in the top notch real deal Seoul BBQ spot. Drinking Andong Soju and killin' it at the dope restaurant. I will take pictures for you folls.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    What you doing in Seoul C******g?

I gotta say the table BBQ shit be SOOOOO dope!

I'm hungry.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    this is my schitt right here: http://www.yechonrestaurant.com/

can you say, OPEN 24 HOURS?!?!

baleee-dat

i use to live a couple of miles from there,
    crazy spot

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    now let's keep it rolling...A VEGAN BBQ JOINT SOULMARCOSA????

Nah it ain't BBQ, but Sallim's is 100% Korean.

Oh snap - I mean WAS.

Fuck!

"Editors' Note: On this page in our June 2005 issue we published a review of Sallim Korean Veggie Life Buffet restaurant in Los Angeles. We are sorry to report that ownership has changed and this excellent restaurant is no longer vegetarian. Vegetarians will miss Sallim."
    http://www.vegparadise.com/dining76.html

theres veggie soul which is spicy soul food but veggie. its near historic west adams and i think they have some sort of fake bbq ribs thing. fyi.

http://www.vegisoul.com/

spaceghost got me something from here once and they actually have a hamburger named after him. the HABE BURGER!!! HA!

p.s.
    here's some random flicks from my travels...

• There's a spot in K-Town called Cho-Sun(sp?) that the homie always raves about. I've been meaning to go for a while now.