Three New Mixes!

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I'm slowly getting myself mentaly prepared to come out of retirement and start dj-ing again when moving to NYC in July. Now I find myself in a deep inner conflict about what to do with all those African Disco records that I found within the past three years. At first, I used to put them all in the "for eventual sale" box. After a while though, I found a guilty pleasure in playing these records and dancing around the house while my wife (who hates Disco) was at work. I used to despise Disco myself and when going to a Funk night, always complained when the DJ would also play some Disco. Therefore I don't feel it would be a good idea to mix this stuff into an Afrobeat and Afro Funk set. Maybe I should create myself a secret parallel identity as a Disco DJ? Or maybe I should just go ahead, get rid of all the Disco & Boogie and stick with the Afrobeat and the Funk?Why don't you help me a bit with the decision making by listening to this mix and letting me know what you think about it.
Click on image to listen:
00:00 Ipa Boogie - get the music now07:00 Jo Tongo - jangolo11:40 Hugh Masekela - the boy's doin' it15:30 Okyerema Asante - sabi29:15 Carlos & Miki - walking down the river35:15 Kris Okotie - she'll never go home38:52 Sidiku Buari - kinyia al kawali42:05 Esbee Family - gin and lime47:20 Jake Sollo - african gypsy53:45 Don Bruce & the Angels - funk 'a' boogie
Here are some of the tracks found on this last trip that probably aren't dancefloor material (perhaps with the exception of Mamo Lagbema's "zambo zambo"). Nevertheless, this is some incredible music. Check out the two haunting Blues songs by El Rego towards the end! Sorry about the static humm on the track by Les Ambassadeurs... there's something wrong with the electrical grounding at our house and I think that's what caused this problem because the record itself is mint and plays clean. If I get around to it, I'll re-record the mix but I can't promise. Time is tight and preparing for a transcontinental move turns out to be a big pain in the neck... I know that some of the tracks here might be called "Fusion" by other people but I don't use that ugly word.
00:00 Les Volcans - la vie03:53 Poly Rythmo - assibavi08:30 Mamo Lagbema - zambo zambo12:14 Coffi G. Adjaho - akoue yehoue17:10 Thony Adex & the Sedico System - olomoge tonjo20:22 Les Ambassadeurs - wassolon foli27:37 African Brothers Int. Band - odo beku me32:12 ? (white label from Benin)34:43 Bembeya Jazz - waraba39:41 Danialou Sagbohan - t'assi srongnin44:10 Keletigui et ses Tambourins - donsoke48:12 El Rego - ke amon gbetcha51:34 El Rego - vive le renouveau56:10 Poly Rythmo - aholoye
To go out with a Bang, here's another solid Afrobeat & Funk mix for you.I guess this was it for a while now as I'm packing up my turntables and my records. In just 10 days, everything will be put into a container and sent off towards NYC. I'm timing this so everything will already be there when my plane touches down at JFK on July 1st. On the downside, I'll have to live in a nearly empty house for some 6 weeks.Maybe I'll just take off for one last digging trip instead...
00:00 Orlando Julius - psychedelic afro shop05:55 Fela Ransome Kuti - beautiful dancer12:50 Orch. Anassoua Jazz de Parakou - norou15:47 De Frank & his Professionals - psychedelic man22:08 Pat Thomas & Marijata - we are coming home28:00 Christiana Essien - my kind of man31:55 African Bros Int. Band - hold your lover tight41:40 Les As Du Golfe - tsi ma le to47:20 The Creation - noble kings53:02 Jeff Tagoe & the Vis-A-Vis - abifao55:55 Antoine Dougbe & Poly Rythmo - honton soukpo gnon
Thanx to Jonas for hosting the mp3s!

Comments

• I would love to have some african disco thrown in a set too. I dont see why not...

Nice finds by the way.

Peace,

Dress

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I would love to have some african disco thrown in a set too. I dont see why not...

Nice finds by the way.

Peace,

Dress

Thanx Dress. Maybe you're right and I should just get over the obsessively puristic Kraut in me and throw some disco in the Funk and Afrobeat, perhaps being a bit easy on the cheesier stuff. On the other hand, it could be fun to just do a 100% Disco thang and show no fear of the cheese...

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    If you think the music have potential for the dancefloor, why not playing it out?
    If it makes people dance it's all good.

Many thanks for the digging stories and the mixes.

Peace

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I think the obvious thing to do is sell me the disco records. Don't let that cheese bog you down!

Looking forward to checking all these mixes out today at work...

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I haven't goten past "Ipa Boogie" yet but that is definitely some very solid Disco/Funk. If I were you i wouldn't get rid of those at all.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    Just got through the disco mix... so dope... better than the first IMO!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

< We appear to share a location...