Chicago's very own Corky McClerkin

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
You all know Corky's debut lp, Searching for the Soul, 1983 on Wincor, right?And a great mix of straight jazz, boogie and soul/funk fusion it is too. I ride firm. Looking at corkymcclerkin.com last week and this caught my eye:
Monday, April 7th, 2008 5:40 PMJazz Right, Jazz WhiteAccording to credible sources, believe it or not, there appears to be a slow-growing movement, primarily but not limited to Europe, dis-acknowledging the beginnings and development of Jazz within the African American community. As Richard Pryor said, "Swear fo' God!!". I see Duke, Art, Horace, McCoy and others shaking their heads. Jazz grew out of the African American experience. It has developed with the contributions of people from around the world.We have always welcomed all cultures to participate and create. And we are happy to share our creativity with all. But NO ONE should be able to take credit for creating something that was never theirs to begin with. Sorry, but it's our ball. You can't have it.
I sent the website an email last week asking for more info on the 'credible sources' but nothing back so far.So anyone know what this stuff is about?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    You all know Corky's debut lp, Searching for the Soul, 1983 on Wincor, right?
    And a great mix of straight jazz, boogie and soul/funk fusion it is too. I ride firm. Looking at corkymcclerkin.com last week and this caught my eye:

Monday, April 7th, 2008 5:40 PM
    Jazz Right, Jazz White
    According to credible sources, believe it or not, there appears to be a slow-growing movement, primarily but not limited to Europe, dis-acknowledging the beginnings and development of Jazz within the African American community. As Richard Pryor said, "Swear fo' God!!". I see Duke, Art, Horace, McCoy and others shaking their heads. Jazz grew out of the African American experience. It has developed with the contributions of people from around the world.We have always welcomed all cultures to participate and create. And we are happy to share our creativity with all. But NO ONE should be able to take credit for creating something that was never theirs to begin with. Sorry, but it's our ball. You can't have it.

I sent the website an email last week asking for more info on the 'credible sources' but nothing back so far.

So anyone know what this stuff is about?

I've never heard anyone claim that jazz had other beginnings - other influences, yes, but the genesis of the music is pretty much beyond discussion. Maybe the KKK jazz revisonists are gaining ground.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I don't keep my ear to the ground so much these days in terms of jazz press, but I reckon anyone disputing the source and origins of jazz would have hit up on most people's radar by now, and certainly would have surfaced on this board.
    Hundred pager probably.

Could it be that Corky's credible sources are not as credible as he thinks?
    Or are some crazed Euros (and others - everyone's at risk on this) really spouting such nonsense?

Anyone who has an inkling on this, please speak up.
    Incredulous jazzheads need to know.....