San Francsiso-What it Did!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Hey,I finally got around to posted about my trip to San Francisco. Wife, doggie, and I had a great time (side question, What's up with the rampant homelessness though?). I look forward to rolling through San Fran again. I got to meet the mighty PeacefulRotation down at Groove Merchant (J**h is incredibly cool!) and pull down some nice finds. Also, big up to Rootlesscosmo who buzzed me about hooking up on Friday night, but time didn't permit. I WILL get at you on that front on the next trip. Also, we had a great couple days down at Napa Valley. The wine, food, scenery and everything was fantastic, and I'm thinking of Calistoga as a possible retirement spot.And oh yeah, here are the finds:45s rpms:-"Ham Hocks & Beans Pt. 1" b/w "Ham Hocks & Beans Pt. 2"-Chuck Womack & the Sweet Souls.-"Could I Be Falling in Love" b/w "Take Me to the River"-Syl Johnson.12"s:-"Lay it on Me" b/w "Stop (Boy)"-Sylvia.-"Computer Game" b/w "Yellow Magic (Tong Poo)"-Yellow Magic Orchestra.-"Saturday Night" b/w same-T-Connection.-"Spread My Wings"-Troop (on some 80's nostalgia).LPs:-"A Whole Nother Thang" and "Radioactive"-Fuzzy Haskins.-"I Am What I Am"-Ruth Copeland.-"S/T"-King Floyd.-"A Man and a Woman"-Johnny Lytle.-"East Side San Jose"-Clifford Coulter.-"Finders Keepers"-The Soul Children.-"Too Hot to Handle"-Heatwave (replacement copy).-"S/T"-Linda Tillery.-"Anticipation"-Willie Tee.-"One for the Road"-Greg Perry.-"S/T"-Gaz.-"The Time Machine"-Gary Burton.-"S/T"-Charisma.-"Galaxy Dust"-Carlos Franzetti.-"Jazz at the University of Akron-The University of Akron Jazz Ensemble (I had to buy a jazz recording by my alma mater).-"The Funky Broadway"-Dyke & the Blazers.-"Hold On"-Noel Pointer (childhood fave/replacement).-"I Fooled You This Time"-Alicia Myers (replacement copy).-"Moments with You"-The Moments.-"If This is Heaven"-Ann Peebles.-"The Adventures of Ali and His Gang vs. Mr. Tooth Decay"-Muhammad Ali & the Ali Gang.-"Rashida"-Jon Lucien.-"Keepin' Love New"-Howard Johnson (replacement copy).Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I wish I had known you were in Napa, I've got mad connections in the wine and restaurant biz. You buy any wine?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Waxjunky,

No, we didn't buy any, but we sure drank enough! We just took the wine club forms so we can track down the wines we liked in our locale winespots (hopefully).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• (side question, What's up with the rampant homelessness though?)

Professor,

My theory on our homeless problem is that SF is a micro-climate; it never gets all that hot and while the 30mph fog will cut right through you, the temp never gets anywhere near freezing. If you're homeless, there are worse places to live (I'm guessing that I wouldn't find a ton of homeless in say, Chicago in January, but I could be wrong).

Glad to hear you had a nice time. Besides Groove Merchant, which stores did you end up checking out?

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    (side question, What's up with the rampant homelessness though?)

Professor,

My theory on our homeless problem is that SF is a micro-climate; it never gets all that hot and while the 30mph fog will cut right through you, the temp never gets anywhere near freezing. If you're homeless, there are worse places to live (I'm guessing that I wouldn't find a ton of homeless in say, Chicago in January, but I could be wrong).

Glad to hear you had a nice time. Besides Groove Merchant, which stores did you end up checking out?

I totally agree with you hogg. I'll also add a factor: decent climate + impressive homeless services= decent place to be homeless, a.k.a., SF.

People can nitpick me on the services, and yes they are not that well organized, but they are everywhere--non-profit, local government as well as state and federal dollars do a lot of work for the homeless in SF. I'm not mad at it. Though it is concerning from a "blight" point of view, there is no one cure for homeless.

I'm a strong proponent of the harm reduction model where you provide services to folks, and if they take them to help themselves out, so be it. Nobody can force you to change--especially when there is mental illness and/or chemical dependence involved.

~g

PS Though, if I was going to be homeless, I'd get a one way to Kauai.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    (side question, What's up with the rampant homelessness though?)

Professor,

youre skipping over the most important part: they say that it costs more to live in SF and NY than any other amerikan city, so maybe THATS why there are so many people living in the streets.

forget LA, the Bay will make you pay.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What's up with the rampant homelessness though?

Did you only see little orphan Annie's? Or could it, might it have something to do with...drug abuse?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    decent climate + impressive homeless services= decent place to be homeless, a.k.a., SF.