So what's your preliminary take on the new Roots?

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Most of the reviews I've seen so far of the album have been negative, but I must say I like it. BlackThought goes off lyrically of course on "75 Bars" and a some of the other cuts. The Mos Def/Styles P joint is my favorite. I even like the sing-song dude - goes by the name of "Truck North" or some shit like that. And what is up with the guest spot by Peedi Crack? Dude sounds even more retarded than Eli but I still can get with his flow. An overall quality album in my book.

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Paging the homie Faux....

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Does "preliminary" = haven't heard it?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I know there have been some leaked tracks in The Lesson over @ OKP, but I have not heard the album in full, even though (I believe) it leaked about a week or two ago. Reviews have ranged from great to downright ugly, claiming that this is a continuation of the group's sell-out process, they're just cashing in on trying to get Pitchfork's audience, more catering, but people have been saying that since illadelph/halflife[/b], when those people didn't get another "Distortion To Static" or "Silent Treatment".

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

In that case, I give it two and a half stars. An unimpressive effort in which The Roots fail to stretch themselves artistically, seemingly content in rehashing past successes but with diminished returns.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just finished writing my review this morning and in general, I didn't think it was as solid as "Game Theory" but I thought it was a really interesting album in terms of its ideas and that counts for something in my book. Some really good songs, a few rather tedious ones too - this is the group's most consistent-sounding album probably ever (well, at least since "Organix") which is both a benefit and liability.

I don't get how it's a "sell-out" album. The suggestion is pretty Frickin' hilarious given that this and their last album are hardly "commercial" in any sense I can imagine...this new one even less so.

BTW: how does one "cash in" on the Pitchfork audience? What does that even mean? Black Thought rapping over blog house beats?

I just finished writing my review this morning and in general, I didn't think it was as solid as "Game Theory" but I thought it was a really interesting album in terms of its ideas and that counts for something in my book. Some really good songs, a few rather tedious ones too - this is the group's most consistent-sounding album probably ever (well, at least since "Organix") which is both a benefit and liability.

Interesting. I liked how solid and cohesive Game Theory[/b] was too, a dark album up until the end.

I don't get how it's a "sell-out" album. The suggestion is pretty Frickin' hilarious given that this and their last album are hardly "commercial" in any sense I can imagine...this new one even less so.

BTW: how does one "cash in" on the Pitchfork audience? What does that even mean? Black Thought rapping over blog house beats?
    I wish I could say "a Pitchfork audience is..." but I don't know, maybe it's just people throwing the group a curve just because they feel they can or "guilt by assumed association". Being commercial is something I know ?uest talks about in his blog and on the board over there, flirting with the idea of going all out vs. holding to what's true for him, even if he knows that the moment someone doesn't like the current version of what they're doing, everyone is going to jump on his case.

It's always interesting to see variations of the hype and gripes that come through when they're about to release something new. Then it's the aftershocks.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    The one "sell-out" track with FallOut Boy or whomever didn't make the final cut on the album. And it doesn't sound "poppy" or commercial like Oliver said. It's pretty dark.

Yeah - the band was really wise to leave off "Birthday Girl." It wouldn't have fit on this album in any way. That plus it sucks.

I should add: this new album will not win over people who are inclined to find the Roots kind of tedious, especially Black Thought (though they have 10 guest rappers to distract you on here). Roots' fans, however, I think will like the album a great deal though, for me, it was a bit too consistent (sound-wise) and really needed some greater diversity than its "it was a dark and stormy night" steez. That said, it's still better than "Tipping Point" by a long shot and probably goes down better than "Phrenology." It's not at the level of "Things Fall Apart" or "Game Theory" in terms of enjoyability but I also think it's a well-thought out album in ways I appreciated.

That said, compared to say, "Free At Last"? Nowhere near as much fun.

Yeah - the band was really wise to leave off "Birthday Girl." It wouldn't have fit on this album in any way. That plus it sucks.

I haven't heard that track, although I know very well what happened when it did, because that lead to THE SHATE THAT SHATE MADE[/b]. It will be a bonus track on foreign editions, from what I had read.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

That's what I took it to mean. And that's why you were paged.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    they should retire immediately

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    they should retire immediately

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I only hav "Do You Want More?", "Illadelph Halflife" and "Things Fall Apart" by The Roots. Is anything else they made essential? Or well worth getting?

I kinda liked Phrenology and had it downloaded a while back but don't have it on anything now.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    but people don't seem to be getting tired of them yet.

I only hav "Do You Want More?", "Illadelph Halflife" and "Things Fall Apart" by The Roots. Is anything else they made essential? Or well worth getting?

I kinda liked Phrenology and had it downloaded a while back but don't have it on anything now.

I'd say "Game Theory" is worth copping.

• I don't think it's as bad as Game Theory, but some of the song choices are questionable. That said, the joint with Mos and Styles P is solid, as are a few others. I've kinda given up on The Roots releasing a consistently quality album, so I'm content with having just a few good tracks to throw in iTunes.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yeah - the band was really wise to leave off "Birthday Girl."
    It will be a bonus track on foreign editions, from what I had read.
    It's on the EU edition. Last track on the album.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

You have their best albums.

I haven't gotten any others since those , the song consistency hasn't been the same on their more recent albums, although they have done some really nice stuff here and there.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    It's not the worst release I'll hear this year but I can't see myself going back to it much again. I liked the first couple of tracks and then started to fall asleep afterwards.

The fact that they used a microphone distorter on 75 bars made me sad.

• Funny, I was just saying "damn, I haven't checked any of the recent Roots in a minute". The last one I got was "Things Fall Apart".

I'm curious to peep "Game Theory" since it does seem to be the real world and the "streets" ride for.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Hypebeast is riding for the new album

"Describing a Hip Hop group as veterans or seasoned isn't always necessarily a compliment in a genre that thrives off of new and cutting edge music. Several groups in hip hop who were around as recently as the mid to late 90's are respected for they???re past material but largely forgotten as relics of the past. This is why it is so incredible that a group like The Roots is not only still relevant but is still releasing some of their best material in their fifteen year careers. Black Thought is still seemingly in his prime, easily navigating a flow that combines the best parts of Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane. The band itself sonically is tighter then ever"

Roots Fans=Tight Sag Jeans

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Black Thought is still seemingly in his prime, easily navigating a flow that combines the best parts of Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane.[/b]

Wait. What?

• Hypebeast

DAMN! LIKE THAT! OH YO I GOTS TO GET HAVE IT!

I'm curious to peep "Game Theory" since it does seem to be the real world and the "streets" ride for.

The "streets" ride for Game Theory? Okay, seems like you might need to set an appointment so that I can further educate you on what the "streets" actually means.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I don't know why I keep buying Roots albums. Tipping Point and Game Theory were far from great and this one just keeps with that same theme. I'm gonna go listen to 'Things Fall Apart.'

• I'm curious to peep "Game Theory" since it does seem to be the real world and the "streets" ride for.

The "streets" ride for Game Theory? Okay, seems like you might need to set an appointment so that I can further educate you on what the "streets" actually means.

Damn like that? But my black friends like it.

Damn like that? But my black friends like it.

If it were only that simple...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    im not a fan but i was semi-forced to listen to the new album by the defjam rep a couple of weeks ago. as payment she dropped off a box of crappy roots lighters and today we got the promo with a black fist afro pick.