WESLEY SNIPES... Damn.

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Snipes imprisoned for three yearshttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7366211.stm Hollywood actor Wesley Snipes has received a three-year prison sentence for tax offences.A federal judge handed down the maximum term requested by prosecutors - a year for each of Snipes's convictions of wilfully failing to file a tax return.Snipes's lawyers had called for leniency, arguing that the offences were misdemeanours and that the star was of good character.But prosecutors said an example should be set because of Snipes's fame.In February, Snipes was found guilty of deliberately failing to file tax returns for 1999, 2000 and 2001, but was cleared of more serious fraud and conspiracy charges.United States District Judge William Terrell Hodges said the action star had shown a "history of contempt over a period of time" for US tax laws."In my mind these are serious crimes, albeit misdemeanours", he said.Before sentencing, Snipes asked the court to show mercy, apologising for his behaviour by saying he was "an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance".He also offered three cheques amounting to $5m (??2.5m) as a gesture of good will.Appeal planSnipes is not currently in custody and it is not yet clear when he will have to surrender to authorities.In the meantime, his lawyers have said they will appeal against the sentence.The star of films such as Blade 3 and Demolition Man had asked for probation instead of imprisonment.Fellow actors Woody Harrelson and Denzel Washington sent letters as character witnesses, as did family, friends and employees.The actor's first role was in Goldie Hawn's 1986 American football comedy Wildcats, and he has also appeared in hit films such as White Men Can't Jump, and Passenger 57.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    he'll be out in a year

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    he'll be out in a year

He kinda got off easy. He beat the major charges didn't he? It could have been 10-20 years...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    he'll be out in a year

the judge could have added 6 months for the stomach churning letters from Denzel and Woody
    unbelievable syrup

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    3 years off a couple misdemeanors doesnt seem that easy to me, but yeah sounds like he beat the more serious charges and the judge still threw the book at him.....

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    He won't spend any time in jail at all. Cheating fuck, though.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    i know the crime is different but how do the likes of paris hilton and all the other hoes get one fuckin day in prison and this dude gets 3 years. Theres no fuckin balance here.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    i know the crime is different but how do the likes of paris hilton and all the other hoes get one fuckin day in prison and this dude gets 3 years. Theres no fuckin balance here.

That's R _ _ _ _ _ !

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    She got more than a day but was released because as a celebrity the jail environment would have been "difficult" for her, acording to her lawyers, so it was commuted to house arrest / home sentencing. Bet the same goes for Scrooge McSnipes. Stars don't appear to do time any significant time in the US unless they fuck up repeatedly and are no longer bankable.

Discuss.

Pay ur taxes kids...

I was watching a show the other night on people who goto jail for not paying there taxes. We all know it's how they got Al Capone... They ended the show with Heidi Fleiss. Saying how she would have never got in trouble or done any jail time if she had just paid her taxes. She'd still be running her biz...

Uncle Sam wants his cut.

I'm pretty sure a bit of the reason Wesley got the full sentence was due to the fact in the beginning he was pretty bold with his attitude of "Screw you dudes, I don't have to pay any taxes at all".

"a nonresident alien" of the United States...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Does this in any way explain why I saw Wesley Snipes on a Total Fitness home gym commercial with Chuck Norris the other day? Dude's looking pretty old these days.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    3 years for 3 misdemeanor tax counts is a bit ridic. You'll get less for a violent crime.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Fellow actors Woody Harrelson and Denzel Washington sent complimentary subscriptions to High Times and cutting room outtakes from Carbon Copy[/b].

The actor's first role was in Goldie Hawn's 1986 American football comedy Wildcats, but found a devoted homeless after the release of To Wong Foo[/b].

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

prosecutors said an example should be set because of Snipes's fame.

I have a real problem with this. If I didn't file for three years and then offered to pay, the IRS would take my money, I'm sure. This is no more appropriate than giving famous people leniency for their stardom.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Hot white bitches get to drive drunk and dangerous and endanger their kids, passangers and pedestrians. At best they serve a day or go to rehab. Rich black guys go to jail for finantial improprieties because we have to make an example of them.

FREE WESLEY!!!!!!! LONG LIVE LeVERT!!!!!!!!!

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Snipes will do time, I'll bet anyone on this.
    not paying taxes for 3 years will get you in trouble.
    but, i think uncle sam is trying to make an example out of him for all to see.
    let's say he doesn't serve any time. He'll have to pay uncle sam back by doing fitness equipment commericals with Chuck Norris just to pay the IRS back. I know he can't rely on hollywood. What was his last successful movie?

prosecutors said an example should be set because of Snipes's fame.

I have a real problem with this. If I didn't file for three years and then offered to pay, the IRS would take my money, I'm sure. This is no more appropriate than giving famous people leniency for their stardom.

He didn't offer to pay til near the end. It all comes down to this part in the article above.

"United States District Judge William Terrell Hodges said the action star had shown a "history of contempt over a period of time" for US tax laws."

If you look over the course of Wesley's tax problems. He was pretty arrogant. He really just didn't want to pay millions of dollars in taxes.

I can't remember all the stuff he said to the media. But I remember thinking. Damn~! At some of the stuff he was saying.

His biggest mistake was using a tax accountant who had a history of filing false returns and false tax loopholes. And then thinking he could teach the government a lesson...

Going around saying he was "a nonresident alien" of the US. Eventhough he was born in the states was foolish.

His accountant got ten years in prison.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Its cool though because in prison he is going into training to become the undisputed prison boxing champ - mixed blessing.

Its cool though because in prison he is going into training to become the undisputed prison boxing champ - mixed blessing.

Didn't they try setting up a UFC fight between Snipes & Joe Rogan?

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Yo, that cat is really deep into martial arts.
    Fools in prison try him you know what will happen!!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The judgement being based on Snipe's fame is kinda odd to me. Is it to be used as a deterrent for the average person? I think the average person is pretty fearful of the taxman as it is.

"an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance".

Location!

Very few people get a slap on the wrist when trying to cheat the gov outta millions.

Plus, I would say there is plenty of balance. I remember he got off pretty lightly for some of his legal troubles in the past. This one comes to mind.

Wiki

Reckless driving conviction

In April of 1994, while on probation on the California gun conviction, Snipes was briefly detained and charged with reckless driving after he crashed his Kawasaki 1100cc motorcycle at the end of a thirty mile, 120 mile per hour chase with a Florida Highway Patrol officer and police helicopters. Snipes had been returning from a family visit in Orlando, and was in the area north of Port St. Lucie, on his way to Key Largo in connection with the making of the film Drop Zone. Neither Snipes nor the officer was seriously injured in the crash.[8] Snipes eventually pleaded no contest to the charge of reckless driving, and was sentenced to perform 80 hours of community service.[9]

Kinda sucks tho. I'm guessing no Money Train 2 anytime soon :/