Jack Bruce "Things We Like" LP Appreciation

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I'm sayin'. Great record and quite possibly THE illest early 90s sample record! Plaese to post an album that was sampled for more early 90s East coast rap classics than this one....

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm waiting for that Hawkeye dude to get in this thread and go C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!!! LOL. What time is it in Germany?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I'm waiting for that Hawkeye dude to get in this thread and go C-R-A-Z-Y!!!!!! LOL. What time is it in Germany?

Hahaha no doubt! I kind of regret getting rid of this without giving it a proper listen.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Know what? On a recent purge session I put that on 'cause all I remembered about it was that it had a buncha of samples on it. So I play the whole thing again I dunno how many yrs later and actually genuinely enjoy it! Wow! Stays in the collection. BUCKTOWN!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

Yo Chan! It's almost 5am over here! Hawkeye's sleepin I'm still awake though and can cosine on everything you said. Crazy record. When that Sax drops in for "Bucktown", Cats still go crazy. Reminds me of DJ Noize droppin' that on the NMS Battle in 94. Now I wonder what S. Illson has to say about this record. I remember he wasn't too eager to keep it in the collection...

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I'm sayin'. Great record and quite possibly THE illest early 90s sample record! Plaese to post an album that was sampled for more early 90s East coast rap classics than this one....

Haven't listened to this record in like 8 years. Goin to try and make a beat out of it tonight.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    showbiz and ag..!!!!
    2 songs
    first lp
    fresh!!!
    dope lp too(Jack Bruce) and the show and ag too:)

Reminds me of DJ Noize droppin' that on the NMS Battle in 94.

CLASSIC!!!!!!! Noize KILLED it in that battle. Denmark stand up. I have that whole battle on video. I might have to break that out and watch that shit tonight.

Noize vs. Shortkut

Haven't listened to this record in like 8 years. Goin to try and make a beat out of it tonight.

LOL! Word. Weezey, email me that beat when you finish it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I've never listened to this before.

Get with the program dunny. I think you would really like this album.

Sorry pops! I should be able to locate this "in the field" though?

Sorry pops! I should be able to locate this "in the field" though?

You should really not have a problem catching this. It is not raer or anything like that.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    "I'm out ta Bomb like Vietnam unda the same name Tame One"

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i walk around town with the pound strapped down to my side, no frontin just incase i gotta smoke sunt'in

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Much props on this chan. It's definitely staying in my collection. Very nostalgic for a lot of reasons. Funny how hard it used to be to track this one down back in the 90s.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yo that record is rdiculousssss
    so many thick ass horn sounds, crazy gutitar riffs and tight basslines

but really you gotta give it up for those who pulled some of those samples...the "hold ya head" horns and the "represent" riff especially. showbiz should wear that record like a fuckin crown!!! others took some obvious parts...he went spelunkin on that fuckin thing!!!

all in all, a nice record to listen to. melodic, at times fast paced, but over all very peaceful. and the cover is unique and kinda crazy

• Options
    The Sally Got A One Track Mind Showbiz Remix?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just sold my long unplayed copy.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Funny how hard it used to be to track this one down back in the 90s.

For real I think my copy is probably the only one I've ever seen - prob a regional thing. I've never really listened to it though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    that is one nasty ass album cover

• Options

Hah, indeed. I don't know if you own this pickwick but those are somekind of sausages sticking out of that mass of potatos.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Hah, indeed. I don't know if you own this pickwick but those are somekind of sausages sticking out of that mass of potatos.

i dont own it, but ive seen the album cover enough times in used stores

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Jack Bruce is the man that always holds his muthafukkin' head!

Much props on this chan. It's definitely staying in my collection. Very nostalgic for a lot of reasons. Funny how hard it used to be to track this one down back in the 90s.

Watup T****!!!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    ive never found a copy of this record. probably every other jack bruce record 352980 times, but never this one.

his car is definitely

• Options
    It doesn't turn up as much as people are acting like it does. At least not in New England. It took me years to find it.

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    ive only seen it once yet, and that copy is now in my shelf.

when i heard born to be blues i went

first the wrong side of the tracks sax and then the smiff n wessun loop.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    The first time I got to know this was on the Herbaliser's Just For You track.

Need to pull this out and give the whole LP another listen though.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Best thing is back right when bucktown came out I walked in the used record store and the dude that works there just so happened by chance to be playing the jack bruce album. I heard the diamond d bassline and damn near crapped my pants!!!! I looked up and asked what it was and he showed it to me and then sold it to me for $8. When I got it home I heard all the other ill shit on it. Artifacts, etc. Dope ass record.

• I found a copy about six years ago but didn't pick it up cause of the price (i think it was $16 or something). I knew that it was legendary and that show sampled it for that crazy guitar line on "represent" but listening through it i knew i wouldn't really ever listen to it as an 'album'. I must have missed the bucktown sax...now i regreting not coughing up for it. Definitely on the look out for it now..