Orlando record show May 4

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Anyone going? I'm looking for Nonesuch Explorer, Folkways, and related. Anyone know any dealers to look out for?

Comments

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    Full Sail will be in full effect in sure.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    A friend of mine told me a story about when Sam Rivers (Orlando resident) came to tlak to one of his classes. This dunsky raises his hand and says, "Yo...I don't wanna say that hip hop and jazz are the only real music...but yo...since hip hop and jazz is the only real kinds of music..."

Full Sail in full effect. Not worried about 98% of these dudes swerving on anything that I'm looking for. For the most part most of them are all over Grover Washington, Mantovani, and et al.

I went to full sail. I actually learned a ton... like 25% from the actual school and 75% from just Frickin' around with music with a bunch of really ambitious kids like 8 hours every day. I just remember... "Rock and Roll Heaven" being a store that had cool shit but made CAKE because of fullsail. Lots of misguided kids going there.

Yea Sam Rivers is a cool guy. He was like... "im not telling you to do drugs... shit... How else are you supposed to stay up til 6am finishing a record" haha... He also said his secret to living forever is just to eat half of whatever people serve to you.

You ever heard of a DJ L.T. Smash?

If you ever see any UNC tags in Orlando I was pretty heavy into writting when I lived there... keep yer eye out.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Anyone going? I'm looking for Nonesuch Explorer, Folkways, and related. Anyone know any dealers to look out for?

You won't find much world music there.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Nah, I don't know L.T. Smash. Maybe Frank (not Africa) does? I've been out of Orlando for the last three years. Recently returned for the Summer. What years were you there? Were you rolling with any other writers, or hip hop kids?

Writers mostly.... Moer and Zens mostly. My shit was wack... but damn did I get up.

He's part of that DnB crew Jungala but he's also a sick sick hip hop DJ and I think he has his own radio show at Rollins College. Look out for him because he definitely keeps it moving in Orlando as far as hip hop and stuff goes.

Good times in orlando... to be young and stupid again. Oh wait, I still am. I was there in 03. Back when Swamburger and Divinci were just some dudes chillin. I think Bleubird was still really low key too.. he played lots of shows as well. Grey Matter were my professors. DJ Dolo also a professor of mine.

Yea I need to make it back there.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Writers mostly.... Moer and Zens mostly. My shit was wack... but damn did I get up.

He's part of that DnB crew Jungala but he's also a sick sick hip hop DJ and I think he has his own radio show at Rollins College. Look out for him because he definitely keeps it moving in Orlando as far as hip hop and stuff goes.

Good times in orlando... to be young and stupid again. Oh wait, I still am. I was there in 03. Back when Swamburger and Divinci were just some dudes chillin. I think Bleubird was still really low key too.. he played lots of shows as well. Grey Matter were my professors. DJ Dolo also a professor of mine.

Word. L.t. Smash and Dolo are the homies. I played a 90s night with Smash Tuesday and am playing with Dolo tonight. Soild Djs and individuals. I'll def be at the Record show. I always manage to spend my rent money thier. Aaron and Kelly from down south are my go to tables. Anyone down to trade? We had a Vinyl exchange/ BBQ last weekend and plan on doing one on a monthly basis or so. Def worth checking for as a couple folks bought serious heat to the table. Trying to plan one for after the show. Looking to build with folks.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Word, Bird is one of my homies. He's a great dude. I used to roll out to Swam and Davinci's open mic at Will's. I've known those dudes for a while. I knew Dolo from rapping at UCF--he would be out there djing. Who was grey matter? I remember them being around, but I don't remember who was in the group.