Wax poetics and moving to NY

badnoozbearbadnoozbear 26 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Hey I know i don't post on here very often but there are some people that can vouch for me. I got an internship with Wax poetics magazine for marketing, I'm living in Cali now, but thinking about moving out there if I can find a job out there. Anybody have any advice they can give me about moving to NY especially job wise. I know its a long shot but i'm looking to save as much money as possible seeing as NY isn't cheap. Or where to move. etc?Thanks!

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    you should just move to williamsburg if you already haven't entertained the idea.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I'd ask some of the dudes at Wax Po if they can help you, considering you'll be working for them for free. just ask if they have any leads on apartments or jobs that can make it easier for you to be a good intern for them. Not some charity shit, like "can i crash on your couch," but "i'm new to the city and any advice or leads would be appreciated."

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    btw, i was just messin with you up there on my comment. but you get the idea.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Hey I know i don't post on here very often but there are some people that can vouch for me.
    I got an internship with Wax poetics magazine for marketing, I'm living in Cali now, but thinking about moving out there if I can find a job out there. Anybody have any advice they can give me about moving to NY especially job wise. I know its a long shot but i'm looking to save as much money as possible seeing as NY isn't cheap. Or where to move. etc?

Thanks!

Unless you have a nice trust fund to live on, moving to NYC will be hectic. A nice 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan will run you about $4,000.00 a month. If you can deal with roomates, that is one option. If you want your own place you will need to get a spot way uptown or look at parts of Brooklyn and Queens. I'm sure the NYC peoples on here will have some good suggestions.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hey Br**n,

Controller gave some good advice, also check online job listings to find some work out there ahead of time.

Good luck

• Thanks guys for the quick and helpful feedback. Yeah of course I plan on doing everything ahead of time .
    I'm probably on living in Brooklyn because I really don't want to pay 4000 a month, i've seen rooms for 500-700 there.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    crazy - man-hatt
    robot - brook-lyn
    against the grain - queens
    stay home - Staten island
    got milk - the bronx

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    4,000 is an exaggeration, and a gross one at that. You can definitely swing a one bedroom for 2,000, but it's unneccesary. Studios will run you around 1,200-1,500 depending on where you want to be (if you're trying to be in Manhttan). My advice would be start working now on finding no fee apartments, or finding a share to move into. The real estate market is killer in New York. Shit is literally listed, and then spoken for within hours. If you go for a broker expect to pay AT LEAST one month's rent as a borkerage fee--add this to first (and possibly last months' rent) and security, and you're out anywhere from 3,000-6,000 dollars just to move into your spot.

Best bang for your buck as far as work is definitely waiting tables or bartending. In Manhattan you can easily make 50,000 a year as a server. I don't know specifics on bartending but I would guess that it's about 20% more than that. If you don't have experience as a server find someone in Cali who will lie for you.

If you can deal with a commute head to South Brooklyn by Coney Island. Avoid living in a neighborhood that is only serviced by the yellow train line. I've had great experiences with the orange, blue, and green lines.

I'm speaking from personal experience on all accounts here, so take it as you will but just know that I'm not going off of what I've heard, or what I've deduced.

Feel free to PM me.

Good luck.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Try out Craigslist?

Alot of people I know seem to have good luck using it to find a place. A gurl I know used it a few months ago when she moved to NYC.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    got milk - the bronx

Probably the only place in the world where I've traded a gallon of milk for two dimes of brick. 189th and Webster, what!

4,000 is an exaggeration, and a gross one at that. You can definitely swing a one bedroom for 2,000, but it's unneccesary. Studios will run you around 1,200-1,500 depending on where you want to be (if you're trying to be in Manhttan). My advice would be start working now on finding no fee apartments, or finding a share to move into. The real estate market is killer in New York. Shit is literally listed, and then spoken for within hours. If you go for a broker expect to pay AT LEAST one month's rent as a borkerage fee--add this to first (and possibly last months' rent) and security, and you're out anywhere from 3,000-6,000 dollars just to move into your spot.

LOL! "4,000 is an exaggeration, and a gross one at that." Really? Show me a nice one bedroom apartment in a good part of Manhattan. Close to a subway line, non grimey hood for $2,000.00 a month.

The real estate market is killer in New York. Shit is literally listed, and then spoken for within hours. If you go for a broker expect to pay AT LEAST one month's rent as a borkerage fee--add this to first (and possibly last months' rent) and security, and you're out anywhere from 3,000-6,000 dollars just to move into your spot.

This is REAL TALK right here! Good luck finding a spot without using a broker.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

LOL! "4,000 is an exaggeration, and a gross one at that." Really? Show me a nice one bedroom apartment in a good part of Manhattan. Close to a subway line, non grimey hood for $2,000.00 a month.

I have one for less than that.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah Chan, you can get a decent one bedroom for under 3k almost anywhere.

I'm not sure if where Daniel lives counts as "way uptown" though...

It's not.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm thinking that Chan might consider anywhere above 86th street "way uptown"!

What up J! All good with you? True dat. The one Fauxrillz is not "Way Uptown." If he was way uptown he would be llike the hommie Danny Dominicano from Washington Heights. The $ 4,000.00 figure is like I said, a NICE one bedroom spot.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i live on the Bronx/Mt. Vernon border. i have a roommate and pay $500 a month

i am 2 blocks from Metro North trains which is 20 mins into midtown Manhattan and am a 20 min walk from the 2 line. i can also do a combo thing where i can easily make it to the 4 train or the 1 quickly

it is less hectic than the city and way cheaper.

What up J! All good with you? True dat. The one Fauxrillz is not "Way Uptown." If he was way uptown he would be llike the hommie Danny Dominicano from Washington Heights. The $ 4,000.00 figure is like I said, a NICE one bedroom spot.

So you're speculating that I don't have a NICE one bedroom spot?

LOL! Nah son. I got family on 94th and I do not consider that way uptown. Way uptown is like the BX, Washington Heights, all dat. You know. Way uptown.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    it's funny how this has thread has nothing to do with wax poetics.

So you're speculating that I don't have a NICE one bedroom spot?

LOL. Not at all dunny. All I know is that when I've seen nice one bedroom Manhattan rental spots online and in magazines and the like they are MAD LOOT like $4,000.00 +. I'm sure I have just seen some expensive spots.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

LOL. Not at all dunny. All I know is that when I've seen nice one bedroom Manhattan rental spots online and in magazines[/b] and the like they are MAD LOOT like $4,000.00 +. I'm sure I have just seen some expensive spots.

Judging by your avatar though, you;re probably not reading any low brow magazines.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Chan, don't apologize ,these dudes just don't know how to live. They've been in NY so long they think a bathtub is a swimming pool, and a fire escape is a wrap around terrace!

Chan, don't apologize ,these dudes just don't know how to live. They've been in NY so long they think a bathtub is a swimming pool, and a fire escape is a wrap around terrace!

Tell em what time it is GV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

LOL! Nah son. I got family on 94th and I do not consider that way uptown. Way uptown is like the BX, Washington Heights, all dat. You know. Way uptown.

Way Uptown is above Burnside Ave. Many cats get think NYC stops at 40 Duece.

• Go to craigslist and find something cheap in decent neighbourhood where you might have a roommate or something. Maybe have some friends or whatever go and check it out for you. Move there and get a feel of the city and from there decide where you want to move.

I have used craigslist before but its so much easier if you're in the city already. People with rooms or apartments cant wait lomg for you to decide unless you're going for some of the expensive places.

I went and checked out this 550 room in Harlem. Didn't like it. Ending up getting a nice room just round the corner for 850.

Good luck,

Dress

• Hey,

I believe you and I may be working together a lot because I run the label and obviously the label will be working the marketing angle for all the releases. so give me a shout whenever at [email]amir@waxpoetics.com[/email]

peace,
    amir

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Best bang for your buck as far as work is definitely waiting tables or bartending. In Manhattan you can easily make 50,000 a year as a server. I don't know specifics on bartending but I would guess that it's about 20% more than that. If you don't have experience as a server find someone in Cali who will lie for you.

This is all true. Waiting tables makes you hate people tho, especially actors....

This is all true. Waiting tables makes you hate people tho, especially actors....

LOL. So waiting tables in NYC will make you hate all your restaurant co-workers/ actors?

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Living in New York City will makes you hate people...