LA strutters - What's good May 7-12??

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Los Angelenos... what's going on in LA from May 7-12? Cos it looks like I'm gonna be there! Get at me with good goings-on like club nights, records swaps, and places to get drunk in public with a minimum of hassle. HOLLER

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    No records in LA.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i taught a film class to senior citizens in lil tokyo and their final projects were curated as part of the asian film fest. i think the screening is in that time window! i mean, its nothing major but im real proud of my students and they fucken RULE. one lady did her project on sex for old folks. seriously, super dope brave lady and she got no issues talken bout the nasty.

oh and me and the woman's pro jeffie graff will be doing our oldies thing on the 10th. or maybe its the 9th. i have to check

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    No records in LA.

I know. They're at the Pasadena Rose Bowl Flea Market.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

:D

Laugh if you want but I wasn't mad at the $40 OG Latin Blues Band TAKE A TRIP PUSSYCAT album I took away from there in 2005.

Not to mention this find:

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I'll be DJing at Soul Sessions on May 9th with Jeremy Sole and a bunch of homies. Should be a really incredible night if you wanna make your way to the Grandstar in chinatown.

Thanks for the good looking out on Soul Sessions - I'll probably check it out!

Shig - what's your night? And what - no Koreatown karaoke for The Kid?

ohshit!

man this sounds like a great idea. i havent karaoked in like almost a year or something!

is anyone else down? i am being serious, of course.

I've never karaoked in my life.

If my original plan goes as it should, I'll be with young shorty who had a head injury last year and either we'll be down to sing with ya'll or we'll want some romantic time at home.

But if she bails on me, bring on the Frickin' sake bottles, microphones, and Billy Joel instrumentals and I'll make a damn fool of myself.

• me! i want to karaoke...lemme in. i need some more rad karaoke folks to share the shame and fun

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    ohshit!

man this sounds like a great idea. i havent karaoked in like almost a year or something!

*cough* I recently had some practice with my soon to be ex-coworkers.

3 the hard way

What night are ya'll thinking of karaoke? I think I've got my Friday (Soul Sessions) and Saturday (Funky Sole and/or Mods Mayday) filled, so karaoke on Thursday or Sunday would be good for me... if not so good for you workingclass strutteurs.

Beuller?

I'm in town this Wednesday-Sunday. Did this karaoke jumpoff ever get scheduled?

• This coming saturday night @ Fais do-do

big up Marvy Mack !

ohshit!

*cough* I recently had some practice with my soon to be ex-coworkers.

3 the hard way

/ [/quote">
    ouch!

im good for sunday! im not sure if i was credited in this book but i was told i was gonna be...

a href="http://karaokedomination.com/]http://karaokedomination.com/

Pico - Soulside's already on my list. Thanks!

And I never thought I'd say this but "Shig check your PMs"

alright so who is down for sunday? and i will even cross fairfax for this one and hit up yuu yuu on sawtelle. i'll organizize it, but no flakes, theres usually a cover to rent a norebang and i'll be damned if im eating that.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Is this what you're thinking for Saturday, dude?

I'll swing along if that's where you're thinking, but since Marv moved the gig to Fais Do Do and dropped funk from the music they play there, it's not been my bag o'peanuts.

It's reggae and classic Northern all the way, baby!

Is this what you're thinking for Saturday, dude?

I'll swing along if that's where you're thinking, but since Marv moved the gig to Fais Do Do and dropped funk from the music they play there, it's not been my bag o'peanuts.

Yeah I feel the same way, but just wanted to keep it on the list.

No worries - Funky Sole is the other option!

• but since Marv moved the gig to Fais Do Do and dropped funk from the music they play there...

so happy about this.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    but since Marv moved the gig to Fais Do Do and dropped funk from the music they play there...

so happy about this.

Why's that? The last few times I went along, the music has been anything from awful to overplayed....in soul circles at any rate. And when I say 'Funk' you should read 'Raw soul', I guess.

Chris Griffiths seems to be the only fellow that keeps his set varied.

• but since Marv moved the gig to Fais Do Do and dropped funk from the music they play there...

so happy about this.

Why's that? The last few times I went along, the music has been anything from awful to overplayed....in soul circles at any rate. And when I say 'Funk' you should read 'Raw soul', I guess.

Chris Griffiths seems to be the only fellow that keeps his set varied.

The Reggay!!!

and although he won't be there this saturday Morales never misses... big tunes from him everytime.

b/w

cuties for days and extra days.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    and although he won't be there this saturday Morales never misses... big tunes from him everytime.

Yeah, fair enough. Mark puts together a nice set always....and plays it well too, unlike a couple of other reggae DJ's I've seen there.

The 'parting of the red sea'-like movements on the dancefloor when the music style changes is worthy of the admission alone.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    yuu yuu on sawtelle

Sign now says "Max Karaoke", but it's the same place.
    http://www.karaokemaxla.com/

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

This week with lurkin' strutter Hua Hsu.

This week with lurkin' strutter Hua Hsu.

This looks real good. I think I'm staying only 5 miles away - I'll definitely try to be there and finally meet ya IRL!

And I'm still down for Sunday karaoke ya'll!