Oness Of Juju African Rhythms Og Check

SdnewbieSdnewbie 16 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
I found a copy of Oness Of Juju African Rhythms today while diggin and wanted to know if its an og or reissue the lable is a test pressing. Does anyone have an origional and can verify the run out grooves # thanks.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    QCA OX642A

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    back for more, eh?

Alan says hi.

• That's kind of a complicated question.

When the record caught on in 1990 or thereabouts, there were, relatively speaking, a lot of sealed copies floating around. I think that either Plunky or Black Fire had dead stock, but for some reason I also think more were pressed up to meet the new demand-- if memory serves, someone had the plates.

Later, in the mid-90s, Black Fire repressed a bunch of titles, including "African Rhythms." I never picked up that reissue, so I don't know if or how it differed from the previous pressing or pressings.

My copy, which I'm pretty sure is the original 1975 issue, has "QCA 0X642A" and "QCA 0X642B" in the run-off.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    QCA OX642A
    got my copy from plunky's brother. it's definitely an og.

• QCA OX642A
    got my copy from plunky's brother. it's definitely an og.

I don't doubt it. Just saying if they kept using the original plates on subsequent pressings, all the copies are liable to have the same markings in the run-off.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    hmmmmm, we are talking about the first LP right? mine is stamped:

BF 1975 1 A

*look on the back cover next to the Black Fire logo. There it should also read the catalog number. On my cover, it reads: "BF 19751 Stereo" (which matches the text in the runout grooves).

It was sealed when I got it, however there is no doubt in my mind that it was an old pressing. The celophane was yellow and hardened (dried out over the years), plus the inner paper sleeve was nasty and mildew smelling. The images/text are also very clear.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    please also note that there are 2 "OGs" out there

one with a maroon border around the front cover.

and another with full bleed artwork to the edge.

the full bleed is more original and desidered.

peace be with you.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

BF 1975 1 A

Mine too - full bleed steez

I like this record alot.

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    I have an original looking copy but the cover is pretty cropped. Is this what you call full bleed or is it just fucked?

I play the record often.

if the artwork goes all the way to the corner of the cover, that puts you in the upper echilon of record nerds.

if you don't, it's still good, it's still good.

if the artwork goes all the way to the corner of the cover, that puts you in the upper echilon of record nerds.

are you are talking about how the spine titles are pushed onto front cover, and how 'S' in Rhythms are cut off?

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    more original

are you are talking about how the spine titles are pushed onto front cover, and how 'S' in Rhythms are cut off?

I'm talking no 1/2" maroon border top bottom left right.

more original = extra medium? discuss?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Hippy Weed

Discuss....

Peace be with you

Overdue Demon Fuzz Beef Thread

Discuss....

Peace be with you

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

BF 1975 1 A

Mine too - full bleed steez

I like this record alot.

i like their other one more though.

mine is definatly original bf 1975 1 A/B

what does full bleed mean ?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    what does full bleed mean ?

full bleed: graphics/publishing/ad term

definition: the color runs all the way to the edge of the page/cover/paper. No white border or outline around the edge

for example, most personal laser printers cannot print at full bleed

BF 1975 1 A

I like this record alot.

Space Jungle Love Juice Pho Yo Babies?

..or their true 1st LP? (not many know this one)

I want their 45. Somebody can maybe help a dude out? Did sealed copies of these ever turn up?

BF 1975 1 A

I like this record alot.

I want their 45. Somebody can maybe help a dude out? Did sealed copies of these ever turn up?

I mentioned that I found an OG sealed (african rhythms), I certianly paid for it though.

So what is this 'true' first LP?? Is it on black fire, under the same name, what is the deal?

And the 45 you mention, is that on BF too?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    strata thing.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    And the 45 you mention, is that on BF too?

african rhythms?

BF 1975 1 A

I like this record alot.

I have the 45. It's soooo much iller than the LP version, at least to my ears. Damn near double the bpm.

TSL had quantity of this for a minute... but no more I think.

I have the 45. It's soooo much iller than the LP version, at least to my ears. Damn near double the bpm.

TSL had quantity of this for a minute... but no more I think.

that 45 is sooooo dope. totally agreed much much iller. and both sides are fire too.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    pictures of mine. Is this the 2nd press?

yeah.

still considered an 'OG' though.

For whatever its worth, I also remember the first press having an Orange label (rather than red).

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts
    pictures of mine. Is this the 2nd press?

I baught this record for $1 at a local spot...was pissed to find out there was a Hugh Masekela record inside, even tho that record is dope, I'm sure you can understand my disappointment.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Mine has the maroon border, red label. They had it up on the wall for the longest at Amoeba in LA. I guess the asking price of $225 was tad high Not sure if it was the full bleed or not, regardless I didn't think it was worth more than $100.

Mine has the maroon border, red label. They had it up on the wall for the longest at Amoeba in LA. I guess the asking price of $225 was tad high Not sure if it was the full bleed or not, regardless I didn't think it was worth more than $100.

The 2nd press was going for ~$30 (20 pounds) maybe five years ago. Soul Brother in London had quantity, a bunch of us got hooked up through them.