"Other Genres" You Thoroughly Enjoy

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
By "other genres", I mean something different from the standard jazz, soul, funk, and psych records that are regularly discussed here.I'm just browsing through stuff like "Music from Indonesia", "Korean folk music", and "Soundtrack from documentary of Picasso". And am just having my mind blown at really the endless supply of music there is. (I seem to be having some withdrawal symptoms from my trip to Japan, and the cheesy, yet magical little Bali-themed hotel I stayed at for one night.)I'm just having one of those, "Damn, all I need is good people, good food, and some music..." moments. Fuck the T.V. (well actually not, but)Just ranting....So anyway, what is some accessible classical, opera, traditional folk music or any "other genre" you guys thoroughly enjoy? Suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• (I seem to be having some withdrawal symptoms from my trip to Japan, and the cheesy, yet magical little Bali-themed hotel I stayed at for one night.)

who was the lucky girl?

• Delta/Piedmont blues
    Classical
    Trance/Ambient (esp Orb)

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    old skool jungle/ragga 92-96
    melodic sounds on the warp,skam,rephlex,and planet mu labels

drone /ambient
    southern lord
    rockadelic
    classic metal
    pre war raw blues
    DUB
    classical
    guitar oriented virtuosity
    african music
    ethinic/folkways and friends
    musique'concrete"
    german beer garden leider hosen speed metal polkas

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Gamalong music from Java

• Gamalong

ME TOO

• Ragtime

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    No secret I'm an American roots guy:
    old country
    blues (delta, piedmont, Chicago, modern, Duke...)
    folk (Woody Guthrie and Sarah Cunningham and Phil Oches and Steve Goodman...)
    bluegrass
    swing
    traditional jazz (the classic stuff, not the pizza parlor stuff)
    gospel.

I like that rock music that fully acknowledges these sources; Chuck Berry, Little Feat, Van Morrison, Tom Waits. I don't care for rock music that is theatrical, or rooted in rock itself.

I like world music, traditional and contemporary and old contemporary. One of my favorite things I like to hear in music from the world is culture melding. New Afro-Celtic stuff is cool, but I also like the less self conscious styles. Like the John Storm Roberts recording of a Kenyan group from the 30s influenced by Jimmy Rodgers. Or Portuguese influence on music from Madagascar to Brazil.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• Gamalong

ME TOO

Dingalong music is the shit though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    By now, my record collection is all over the place, but like Laser Wolf, I'm all about the roots:
    blues
    Cajun/zydeco
    country/bluegrass/oldtimey
    rockabilly
    surf
    garage-rock
    doo-wop
    gospel

I'm also into Latin music, although that's been covered quite extensively on the Strut with threads devoted to the Fania label and whatnot.

I dig a lot of late '60s/early '70s bubblegum-rock, esp. the artists produced by Kasenetz-Katz (1910 Fruitgum Co., Ohio Express, etc.). Early ska/reggae ('60s/'70s) was cool; I like some metal bands here & there - Motorhead, Blue Cheer, Sir Lord Baltimore, Dust, Pentagram, Grand Funk.

I also have a weak spot for the original 1970's wave of punk and new wave. Since 1981, the field's gotten more and more inconsistent, although there have been bands since then in the punk/new wave/alt-rock/call-it-whatcha-wanna field that I've liked.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    emo psych

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

i still don't understand why americanos can't get that. it's not leider hosen! leider hosen = unfortunate pants!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I have listened to this dude for many years, always kills me...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I have quite a bit of Electronica in my collectron.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Silence.

Silence.

NPR. It's sad but true that I listen to news & information radio more than anything these days.

unfortunate pants!

• Silence.

NPR. It's sad but true that I listen to news & information radio more than anything these days.

TRUTH.

I listen to more 'All Things Considered,' 'Wait, Wait! Don't Tell Me!' and 'Marketplace,' (especially 'Marketplace,') than any record these days.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Silence.

TRUTH.

I listen to more 'All Things Considered,' 'Wait, Wait! Don't Tell Me!' and 'Marketplace,' (especially 'Marketplace,') than any record these days.

SPOKEN WORD.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

i still don't understand why americanos can't get that. it's not leider hosen! leider hosen = unfortunate pants!

Dude, I think he's talking about lieder hosen.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I'm looking at my hands typing this... and I'm realizing I'll probably have very vein-y hands when I'm older.

And, yeah,

old house music.

"What about this loooooove, girl please don't turn your back on meeeee/
    what about our promise to each otheeer?
    when times got ruff we would not leeeeeaaave.
    It seems it was all in vaaaaaaiiiin,
    'cause now all I haaaaave is paaaaaaiiiin.
    Thinking why I tried so haaaaaaaard,
    and now you just disregaaaaard, what we ever haaaa-aaaaad"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Cosign on the rootsy stuff, blues, country etc. I also have a continued softspot for punk rock, especially US hardcore from the 80s.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm looking at my hands typing this... and I'm realizing I'll probably have very vein-y hands when I'm older.

Must be 420.

They're called fingers, but I ain''t seen 'em fing.

Oh, there they go.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I have listened to this dude for many years, always kills me...

This is an awesome record.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Silence.

TRUTH.

Dude. I can't believe you listen to the competing NPR station. You a Car Talk fan too?

I ride for post-punk and spanish classical guitar.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I always listen to a bit of anything and everything, but I have been getting more into country. That had always been the forbidden genre for me, or as I've said before, I liked country played by rock bands but would only prod and poke country from afar, as if I was darting around the issue before I put myself in full (take that, metaphor mods!) I cut myself off around the early 80's, as much of the country that's out today is more Bon Jovi and Poison, and less Merle Haggard, although I will listen to Chely Wright, Sugarland, and Little Big Town. I liked "Americana" before it was called "Americana" so perhaps I always liked country in an abstract form, but never got into the Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, or Ferlin Husky until the last few years. Barry White ached in the same way Hank Thompson ached, and Stephanie McKay hurts as much as Sami Jo or Kathy Dalton once did.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Silence.

Hey I don't blame you for listening to the news more. Theres alot going on now and it is really something.
    SILENCE

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I have been reintroducing myself to classical music, Afro-Cuban outside of Dizzy Gillespie, zither/dulcimer/harp noodling and early blues. I also am facinated by the type of stuff that remote island countries (excluding Hawaii, Caribbean, etc) have made with minimal outside influence. Not to be on that cliche "soul-jazz, funk and garage rock is for idiots!" pissing contest thing nor "obscurity rules!" deal, but I really feel like I'm not using my brain not fully absorbing all this stuff.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Silence.

Hey I don't blame you for listening to the news more. Theres alot going on now and it is really something.

SILENCE

...what do you mean, SILENCE? the news station makes noise too