Anyone dj'ed a bboy event in a minute?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I haven't done one of these since the 90's. Is rocking the standard braeks still appropriate seeing as these dudes are 12 years old? feeling

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    I don't dj any bboy events but the younger bboys I know are always hitting me up for the standard classic breaks.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    My friend sold a record to a German dude via ebay, which he had described as containing a "b-boy break," and was then bombarded with a flood of e-mails in broken English complaining about how it was not, in fact, a very blazing b-boy break at all and that ol' dude would be embarassed to drop it a German b-boy even for Chill Fritz-ski and Hansel Freez n'nem.

I think that anecdote encapsulates the state of the game.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i spun for a b-boy event (actually an office party for an add agency who wanted a dj and hired breakers). anyway, i knew all the b-boys from being around the scene and they're all talented. they thanked me for playing the original breaks because they have never heard them before...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    they thanked me for playing the original breaks because they have never heard them before...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    The better bboy dj's (to me at least) rock stuff that's not really expected but still falls into the category rhythmically.

DJ Abel is one that comes to mind right away. Last time I saw him spin he dropped Brooklyns Burning by Head Automatica and Here Come The Dix by The Dix at Floor Wars in LA.

• My friend sold a record to a German dude via ebay, which he had described as containing a "b-boy break," and was then bombarded with a flood of e-mails in broken English complaining about how it was not, in fact, a very blazing b-boy break at all and that ol' dude would be embarassed to drop it a German b-boy even for Chill Fritz-ski and Hansel Freez n'nem.

I think that anecdote encapsulates the state of the game.

LOL! I've been known to say "magnus n'nem" or "helmut n'nem".

And "breakers" not knowing shit like Apache? For some reason I envision Spidey and his street cotuore homies.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    The better bboy dj's (to me at least) rock stuff that's not really expected but still falls into the category rhythmically.

Yup. One of my boys is pretty deep in the scene and he's "breaking" new records all the time. The kids love hearing new stuff but it has to be just right.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

Yup. One of my boys is pretty deep in the scene and he's "breaking" new records all the time. The kids love hearing new stuff but it has to be just right.

yo what the fuck is up with that avatar?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Alot of the kiddos these days recognize classics from hearing them but have no idea what the titles are and often only hear them in "techno-fied" remixes/megamixes.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    Here Come The Dix by The Dix

fuck yeah.

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    yeah, i play bboy at sessions often. nopes, i dont use to play the UBB type of stuff.. i play everything thats a little uptempo, has hard drums and a good rhythm. jazz rock, everything. go on. but i play for a little bit older bboys thou. 20-30.. they might appreciate a little more deep music than these 12 year old kids.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    i wanna DJ a playboy battle

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

This is like the song that Dewey Cox was trying to write about his brother during his PCP phase.

• It's all about mixing the "oh shit, WTF is this breaks" with the "Ah, that's my shit" classic breaks...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    LOL! I've been known to say "magnus n'nem" or "helmut n'nem".

And "breakers" not knowing shit like Apache? For some reason I envision Spidey and his street cotuore homies.

ooh a Young phonics diss? Do I get a prize?

- spidey

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    yes. i djed a bboy evnt in UNDER a minute. like 47 seconds.