What about Man??? (late pass / who rides?)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
"Man?? is a popular Latin American Mexican rock band from Guadalajara whose career has spanned almost three decades. They have earned three Grammy Awards, five Latin Grammy Awards, one Premios Juventud award, four Billboard Latin Music Awards and 12 Premios Lo Nuestro awards. Their sound has been described as being anywhere from pop rock, latin pop, calypso to reggae. They initially received notoriety and commercial success in Latin America and Spain and have since gained popularity and exposure in the US, Western Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. They have sold more than 20 million albums."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man%C3%A1I'm just wondering how they rate among the Soul Strut community, especially among Mexicans and Latin Americans. A girlfriend of mine introduced them to me a while back. This track has a little boom-bap, but their sound tends to be somewhat varied...

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm not into Mana, but I recently was given a free ticket to see Beto Cuevas from La Ley. He apparently digs my band, but when it came down to meet him. I "accidently" gave away my VIP pass. Latin ladys went crazy for the dude.

- spidey

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    "A Dios Le Pido" gets the latin crowd dancing fo sho. But dude is pretty George Lamond-ish

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

I saw Mana open up for Santana in San Jose about 7 years ago. During Mana the whole amphitheater was packed back to the fence and people were going nuts, screaming lyrics and jumping up and down and screaming and shit. When they were finished about 1/4 of the place cleared out before Santana even started. I remember some of their set being entertaining, but of course the crowd being so into it had an effect, but I haven't heard them since.

I witnessed a similar event when Hole played before Sonic Youth at one of those festivals. People straight bounced before Sonic Youth took the stage. They weren't even trying to hear the headliners.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    These dudes were huge in PR with girls, in '95 when they released their live album you couldn't go to one house party and not hear the whole thing get played. Both the beckys and the hood chicks wore out their cassetts. Jealous dudes everywhere said their music ripped off The Police, while their style ripped of Pearl Jam and U2. So many people went to their concert in '95 that there was a mini riot and people got stomped to death. I'm not gonna front I had the cd, chicks in PR weren't really feeling "Liquid Swords" yadidameenski?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I traveled in Mexico for 2 months in 06 and grew to hate them. Shit was/is everywhere... you can't escape it...packs about as much punch as Coldplay.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I hear you, overplayed to death, shit I've heard Mana at a strip club!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    to this day i probably couldnt go out and hang with friends without hearing some mana, enanitos verdes, hombres g, or la ley
    im over them so, * barf *

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    i still will listen to cafe tacuba

I traveled in Mexico for 2 months in 06 and grew to hate them. Shit was/is everywhere... you can't escape it...packs about as much punch as Coldplay.

Real talk. It's good background music at a BBQ, if nothing else. It's not my favorite, but I do find some redeeming qualities in it. Coldplay never offended me, either, for what it's worth.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    I like their unplugged album, used to hear it regular at the job, but anything besides that that i have heard is crap/

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I like their unplugged album, used to hear it regular at the job, but anything besides that that i have heard is crap/

This moment has been months & months in the making. Rerog has just posted on Soulstrut from a crappy office job. Welcome to my world. I'm so *sniff* ...I'm so PROUD of you!