ESG first lp

analog_tapeanalog_tape 604 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I passed up on a vg/vg+ copy of ESG self titled lp on 99 records yesterday of $35. Was that a bad move or what?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That's not a terrible price but not a steal either. NM it's about $75, in my shop anyway.

They're built like tanks though, so I'm sure it would've played Ok.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

Foreal, how did 99 achieve this?

What is their vinyl formula?

A skated 99 Record will play just fine.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i had to entertain a client last summer and brought him to a comedy club in the village.
    obvs the 99 days were before my time but i did a double take walking by this douchey frat bar lounge in the basement of 99 MacDougal.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    This pop up much in NY? I've seen some copies of Liquid Liquid in DC, but never ESG.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I bought one yesterday for $15.

Oh, and do people like the live side of this LP. I must say to me the studio side is much better. The vocals on the live side don't sound good at all.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    they pop up in miami, ran accross a maybe three copies if the 1st ESG in the last couple years and thats with me diggin not that often

They pop up in NYC but rarely clean. I get the titles in stock several times a year. Moody is the one you see the most, followed by the S/T. Almost never see "Come Away With..."

I think listening to ESG for the vocals is missing the whole boat.

I agree, the vocals overshadow the good shit.

Overshadow isn't the right word. I just find the vocals annoying.

I feel like you're not getting the record at all - the vocals are supposed to be grating, it's basically a punk record

"feeling moody, yeah yeah yeah"

I mean, it's not really singing dude.

I hear you, I just like the studio side better. Thats all.

I'll put on my punk rock decoder ring when I get home and see if I can 'get it'.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    The vocals are dope, so much attitude.

But you know, I think I like the new mood version better.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'll put on my punk rock decoder ring when I get home and see if I can 'get it'.

Set it to "stripped down" and "DIY". SPOILER BELOW!![/b]

[color:white] It reads "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine". [/color]

I'm really not trying to be all chinstroke record store dude but I can't really imagine listening to ESG and saying "I find the vocals annoying" when there is a saw being played to sound like horror flick theme music and the drums are punching you in the chest and the bass sounds like it's being played with a tombstone for a pick.

there is a saw being played to sound like horror flick theme music and the drums are punching you in the chest and the bass sounds like it's being played with a tombstone for a pick.

You just named all the things I like about the LP, thanks chinstroke record store dude.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I find the dead kenedy's monotonous.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    I like all sides of this record and the cover.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I like all sides of this record and the cover.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Got mine for $1 in an Australian DJ's discarded box of records at the thrift store. I have to be in the mood for it, though. But when I am I love it.

• cardovacardova 743 Posts
    co-sign on everything said here

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    when there is a saw being played to sound like horror flick theme music and the drums are punching you in the chest and the bass sounds like it's being played with a tombstone for a pick.

j, thats so dope. tombstone for a pick. word.
    i love esg. mooody and come away with. they shit is slamming. and the emerald saphire cover is slamming

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    ERASE YOU!!!

If ESG doesn't deserve hyperbole, what the fuck does

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    If ESG doesn't deserve hyperbole, what the fuck does

I agree w/this sentiment 200%

Someday I will pay good money to replace my VG copy (the only one I've seen in NC btw) but I'm more than satisfied as is...

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    well, i would have bought it for $35. all their stuff are total white whales for me. i see liquid liquid once in a while, but ESG nevar.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

this is true, i caught a thrashed copy of the first EP for a buck years back, and it indeed plays fine to this day...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ERASE YOU!!!

LIKE A DROARING!