Cast Iron Cookin'

SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I love my cast iron skillet. I treat that baby to baths in bacon fat and it treats me to some damned delicious food.I picked up a book at the local library called The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook. I don't want to give it back. Here's the first recipe I've tried (the simplest in the book to be sure):The Dutch Baby[/b]4 extra large eggs1/2 cup milk1/2 cup all-purpose flour2 Tbs. butterTopping:3 Tbs. butterjuice from 1 lemon1/2 cup powdered sugar [perhaps excessive]Preheat oven to 425. Melt the 2 Tbs. butter in yr cast iron skillet over low heat. Crack those eggs and mix with the milk and flour. If you use a blender, mix for 5 or 10 seconds until it's all just blended.Pour that goodness over the butter in the skillet and pop it in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or so, until she's nice and golden. It will rise like it wants to leave that pan and start a life of its own. Here's mine:Then melt the three Tbs. butter in a small pan. The book talks about skimming off the foam, letting it cool until the solids settle, and then pouring it through a strainer ... clarified butter. Whatever ... just pour the butter onto your baby and sprinkle it with that sugar and lemon juice (I didn't have a lemon on hand so I haven't experienced that dimension of goodness).Then cut that baby up:Couldn't resist using the Macro:So good and so simple. Anyone else have any cast iron magic to share?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Oh hells to the yes!

For years I had a regular ass non-stick skillet. I stepped up my game and copped a under 25$ Forge and I keeps it oiled. It does errythang.

Throw that mammajamma in the stove after its been wiped down w/ p'ork fat and it soaks it up. No need for a nonstick unless im makin omlettes.

Shit is so necesssary for tha kitchen. "want some pancakes, sweetheart?"

My next move is a Cast-Iron Wok.....

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    "want some pancakes, sweetheart?"

Definitely. The lady is treated like a queen with this pan. Best pancakes ever. I actually want to step up to one of these:

Cook the cakes on one side, the steaks on the other. Sits on two burners.

Definitely. The lady is treated like a queen with this pan. Best pancakes ever. I actually want to step up to one of these:

When i see this on TV, i say to myself, "hhmmmmmmmmm?" But I dont ever have to make that much food. But jeah, shit is handy if you have brunch get-togethers or mad kids are around.

Plus storing that thang would be a biatch.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

When i see this on TV, i say to myself, "hhmmmmmmmmm?" But I dont ever have to make that much food. But jeah, shit is handy if you have brunch get-togethers or mad kids are around.

Plus storing that thang would be a biatch.

True ... storage would be a hassle. I just like the low profile for easy pancake flipping.

Maybe I'll grab the single burner version:

Maybe I'll grab the single burner version:

I alraedy own a stove-top griddle so that would be redundant for me.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I love my cast iron skillet! Cosign on that pancake recipe; I make a variation of it all the time.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    (I didn't have a lemon on hand so I haven't experienced that dimension of goodness).

Lemon will take something fatty and rich like that to the . I'd also be tempted to roll an apple-cinnamon variation on that recipe.

Also, if y'all aren't making cornbread in your skillets, then you're not taking full advantage of your resources.

One more thing: blackening. Get your charcoal grill going and put the cast iron skillet directly on the coals. Let it get hot as hell. Buy some Paul Prudhomme seasoning and sprinkle it liberally on some steaks. Pour melted butter on the steaks until there are no (few) dry spots from the seasoning.

Drop the steaks in the skillet along with a little more melted butter. Let the steaks smoke like hell until the seasoning forms a crust. Flip and finish.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Look for "Griswold" at your local flea market and yard sale.

Iron skillets retain flavor in the metal. So you never want to wash'em.

Fried Chicken a must on the iron skillet.

Thank your deceased Grandma for keeping the iron skillet alive.

Fried Chicken a must on the iron skillet.

There is no other way.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Here's the first recipe I've tried (the simplest in the book to be sure):

The Dutch Baby[/b]

4 extra large eggs
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    2 Tbs. butter

Topping:

3 Tbs. butter
    juice from 1 lemon
    1/2 cup powdered sugar [perhaps excessive]

This pretty much a sweet version of a 'Yorkshire pudding', one of my favourite things in the eating world.

I had some today in fact, with some roast beef.

This is also the basis for 'toad in the hole', in which you just add sausages, and bake them all together.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    cast irons are the best. Got a whole set for xmas.

Im gonna try making some dutch baby's tomorrow, bit one gluten free for the manz. I hope it tastes good.

The dutch baby is so nostalgic because my grandma always made in the morning when she knew I was in a bad mood. I was a sleeper when I was little and still am.

ANYWAYS...

WaxJunky, that steak knowledge you dropped sounds great!

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Iron Cast is nice, but Meatwise I go for the Blacksmith??s Steel Pan. You can??t do better than this.
    Cleaned out my friends Attic and found these.

got them for the help, and now I??m armed and dangerous in the kitchen.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

I thought this thread was going to be about this

What you probably don??t see is a stack of Copper Casseroles.

I can do proper things with Records and Food. I??m still behind with the use of Computers.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

picture is damn small, but i got me this badass le creuset cherry red puppy.

changed my life.

Iron Cast is nice, but Meatwise I go for the Blacksmith??s Steel Pan. You can??t do better than this.

Cast Iron retains heat longer than Steel. Both have its advantages.

Cast Iron retains heat longer than Steel. Both have its advantages.

I agree, but a hand-forged Pan can handle more Heat than the average steel pan. I only use it for red meat and fried Potatoes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

One more thing: blackening. Buy some Paul Prudhomme seasoning and sprinkle it liberally on some steaks.

Gotta cosign how essential it is to use Paul Prodhomme seasoning when blackening. The og only way to go...