Meanwhile down in Texas

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
This is gonna come off like a promo, but I've been so excited about a new artist down here named Staci Russell[/b] that I just have to share. She's 19 years old, she's an r-n-b singer, and she's consistently fire. I first caught her a couple months back performing with Gerald G. The 2 of them apparently have a forthcoming Rapid Ric mixtape coming out called Mr. & Mrs. 512. Staci has a new song out called Holla that I just can't stop listening to. I've never been much of a r-n-b head, but this shit jams to me. You can hear it on her myspace page...http://www.myspace.com/misssrussell The track on there with Gerald G called Down is also pretty darned good. Alright, plaese to let me know what you think...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I find nothing distinctive about her.

Voice...ehhh
    Style...ehhh
    Production....ehhh

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I've never been much of a r-n-b head, but this girl is from Texas.[/b]

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I've never been much of a r-n-b head, but this girl is from Texas.[/b]

hahahahaha

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    meanwhile, down in the west texas town of El Paso...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I've never been much of a r-n-b head, but this girl is from Texas Austin[/b].[/b]

I'd put Staci, Rochelle Terrell, and Latasha Lee up against any other city's young female r-n-b singers. And maybe they wouldn't come out on top, but they would hold their own singing in what at least I hear as a distinctive[/b] style.

But hold up...

Until any of y'all can freely recognize the major r-n-b singing contributions made by Billy Cook over the years...y'all don't really have much room to speak one way or another about Texas r-n-b anyway.

Y'all don't even like Bog Moe (RIP).

But yeah, next week I will start only posting artists/music up from places and times that I've never been an active part of...because this crime that I keep committing of actually supporting artists who live in my area and perform a music indiginous to that area is obviously way, way out of line.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    But holSTRIKE>d/STRIKE> up...

I've never been much of a r-n-b head, but this girl is from Texas Austin[/b].[/b]

I'd put Staci, Rochelle Terrell, and Latasha Lee up against any other city's young female r-n-b singers. And maybe they wouldn't come out on top, but they would hold their own singing in what at least I hear as a distinctive[/b] style.

But hold up...

Until any of y'all can freely recognize the major r-n-b singing contributions made by Billy Cook over the years...y'all don't really have much room to speak one way or another about Texas r-n-b anyway.

But yeah, next week I will start only posting artists/music up from places and times that I've never been an active part of...because this crime that I keep committing of actually supporting artists who live in my area and perform a music indiginous to that area is obviously way, way out of line.

Your buggin

But hold up...

Your buggin

Yes, my opinions are biased...just like all opinions are by definition[/b].

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

But hold up...

You come off as a fanboy to anyone who can show a TX Driver's License. I'm sure Bog Moe (sic)(RIP) would appreciate the accolades, but until you can show discriminating taste focusing on the great stuff that is coming outta TX, no one can take you serious.

Your TX bigupping is approaching Yuichi "look at me" proportions. This shit is marginal, try again.

But hold up...

You come off as a fanboy to anyone who can show a TX Driver's License. I'm sure Bog Moe (sic)(RIP) would appreciate the accolades, but until you can show discriminating taste focusing on the great stuff that is coming outta TX, no one can take you serious.

Your TX bigupping is approaching Yuichi "look at me" proportions. This shit is marginal, try again.

Discriminating taste?

Okay, so it's not that y'all want me to start big-upping music from other locales that I know next to nothing about (apart from the new, realer Bible known as the Internet).

Y'all want me to start posting all of the shitty artists/music from Texas that I come across.

That should provide the balance you are looking for, correct?

But hold up...

Your buggin

Yes, my opinions are biased...just like all opinions are by definition[/b].

If no one knows the real Texas stuff here on SS, why ask for our critique?

If we would had praised it, wouldnt we still be at a disadvantage cause we still dont know the contributions of Billy Cook?

But hold up...

Discriminating taste?

Okay, so it's not that y'all want me to start big-upping music from other locales that I know next to nothing about (apart from the new, realer Bible known as the Internet).

Y'all want me to start posting all of the shitty artists/music from Texas that I come across.

You can't read.

But hold up...

Discriminating taste?

You can't read.

Then please do tell me what you consider to be "the great stuff coming out of Texas".

Because obviously you know better than us what we like down here.

If no one knows the real Texas stuff here on SS, why ask for our critique?

Because there are people on here who know.

If we would had praised it, wouldnt we still be at a disadvantage cause we still dont know the contributions of Billy Cook?

Believe me, you do know many of the contributions of Billy Cook (for instance, the hook from Big Mike's Playa Playa)...you probably just haven't yet recognized that it was Billy who did all of that.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    thanks for that lesson, now please go back to shutting your mouthhole

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Looks, this shit is not built for everybody.

If it's not for you (nobody specific), why hassle HC in every thread?

I've heard enough great Texas-based music that I'll give almost anything coming out of that state a chance. So, I appreciate when it's brought to my attention here. To see that kind of enthusiasm for local music get suppressed would be a disservice to this community.

And I say this as someone who once thought threads like this were a joke, until I actually sat down to listen and connect the dots.

"There's somethin' about the south side."

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

it's not about hassling HC as much as it is telling dude to come different with his shit. There's only so much belittling that can be dished out until folls just up and say "fuck you and everything you ride for".

I'm all for hearing good new r&b but when you follow up a "check this out" post with shit like... "But hold up...

Until any of y'all can freely recognize the major r-n-b singing contributions made by Billy Cook over the years...y'all don't really have much room to speak one way or another about Texas r-n-b anyway"

then you're really just coming off like you're talking to hear yourself speak. which I will clown until the day I die. and don't think for a second I don't check for texas music either.

• Looks, this shit is not built for everybody.

I've heard enough great Texas-based music that I'll give almost anything coming out of that state a chance. So, I appreciate when it's brought to my attention here. To see that kind of enthusiasm for local music get suppressed would be a disservice to this community.

And I say this as someone who once thought threads like this were a joke, until I actually sat down to listen and connect the dots.

Good post. Y'all are hard on HC. No ayo. He's not trippin' though.

^^^

This chick is mediocre, sorry.
    And I have been like TX since Geto Boys had an h in their name.

it's not about hassling HC as much as it is telling dude to come different with his shit. There's only so much belittling that can be dished out until folls just up and say "fuck you and everything you ride for".

I'm all for hearing good new r&b but when you follow up a "check this out" post with shit like... "But hold up...

Until any of y'all can freely recognize the major r-n-b singing contributions made by Billy Cook over the years...y'all don't really have much room to speak one way or another about Texas r-n-b anyway"

then you're really just coming off like you're talking to hear yourself speak. which I will clown until the day I die. and don't think for a second I don't check for texas music either.

Did the thread start sideways in any fashion?

Batmon came through and said eh...did I give him a knee-jerk reaction over it?

No, it's just when 2 snapperheads with nothing to contribute but Morton salt came through talking hateur nonsense that I simply said...what the fuck do y'all know about it anyway?

Billy Cook is a dude who has paid his dues and like black American artists from other eras, he's gotta go overseas to get even a slice of the respect he should be getting here in the US (outside of Texas).

Can I not point that out? Or should I now have all my posts screened by your on-again-off-again ?

It really cracks me up how y'all so closely associate a person on a message board with music or even ideas that fully exist on their own two. Yeah, I made y'all hate Project Blowed...despite the fact that y'all hated them long before I ever showed my face around here.

Same thing with lizard people and chemtrails, y'all act like I made those up in my spare time.

Seriosuly people, get a grip already. Y'all act like little ninnies without there ever being a break from it.

What is Harvchaic going to make me hate today?

haha no I never hated project blowed but I sure hate hearing about them anymore. I'll bump Acey and Ab and Volume 10 and Ellay Khule and all the rest prolly forever. There's a few of those guys I've met in person or seen live that I don't like as a result but that's more to speak to their personal characters than their music.

and noone was throwing salt, they were just making fun of you for the shit I mentioned earlier, you always seem like you're talking to hear yourself, not to get a response from anyone.

I actually check for a lot of HOU shit as a result of some of your posts so I'm not hating completely. you're just an oddly defensive dude at times that don't really demand defense. shit's funny usually so I clown.

you always seem like you're talking to hear yourself, not to get a response from anyone.

Right, when I declare something...like, I really like this artist, I just declare it.

I don't, like far too many people on this board/the internet, fish around for people to help me decide if I like something or not.

Maybe that bothers you...but it shouldn't.

• Anyone else see the irony in a message board that is ostensibly dedicated to musical discovery but consistently clowns one of the few posters who actively promotes lesser known local artists?

nah, that's not it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Anyone else see the irony in a message board that is ostensibly dedicated to musical discovery but consistently clowns one of the few posters who actively promotes lesser known local artists?

Seriously - as someone who usually only fucks w/music related threads around here nowadays I STILL can't avoid all the BS and wack-posting that plagues SS...

Chalie Boy wrecking Lollipop...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/104020289b10d2b9/

Ill say this....I cant think of another "Hip Hop Soul" chick who is singin to this Texas flavor besides her. If she can make this a into a national steez like Ciara/Atlanta, who knows what can happen.

Beyonce & Erykah Badu are from Texas but arent doin local exp steez.