Penn Primary - Obama gaining on Hillary?

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
My Philly dudes,What's the word on the streets? Can Obama actually take Pennsylvania? Is he gaining momentum? Pundits were previously talking about a double digit beatdown by HC...Is my dude Obama narrowing the gap?

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Democratic Primary in Pennsylvania today, 04/08/08, two weeks to the vote, Hillary Clinton defeats Barack Obama 56% to 38%, according to a SurveyUSA poll conducted exclusively for WCAU-TV Philadelphia, KDKA-TV Pittsburgh, WHP-TV Harrisburg, and WNEP-TV Wilkes-Barre. The results are almost identical to a SurveyUSA poll released one month ago. Then, Clinton led by 19. Today, 18.

• The SurveyUSA poll is pretty divergent from all the other polling that has been done in PA recently. Realclearpolitics.com took the results of six polls (including SurveyUSA) and averaged them all out and they have Clinton up by 7.8 percent.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Cool, thanks for the update. I know what the poll says --just wondering what the general vibe is in Philly/Penn on this. Heard Obama is outspending Hillary 3:1 on commmercials out there.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Obama is outspending Hillary 3:1 on commmercials out there.

shook moves.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i dont know too many people voting for hillary.
    i see obama buttons everywhere.
    expect high turnout

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I posted up that Clinton ad where she talks about growing up in PA.

I know Philly is Obama country, but are people in the rest of the state all, 'Yeah she's from Scranton', or are they calling bs?

If she were to try that I've got deep roots sht out here people would run her out on a rail, which we will be doing May 20th any way.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    whether or not it resonates with voters, it sure as hell shouldn't.

she's not running for local office; where she's from should be of little importance to any one state's voters.

(though I realize people have regional biases, particularly insofar as many feel that people "from their parts" have certain character traits, etc.)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    shook money moves.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

I know Philly is Obama country, but are people in the rest of the state?

dont really matter too much. with high turnout, philly sways the state...but thats red vs. blue. we'll see about inter demo battlin.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I'm not normally a pessimist, but I think none of these Obama/Clinton polls really matter...McCain will win. There are still too many people in this country as a whole obsessed with war and religion. I really hope that I'm proven wrong, though.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I'm not normally a pessimist, but I think none of these Obama/Clinton polls really matter...McCain will win. There are still too many people in this country as a whole obsessed with war and religion. I really hope that I'm proven wrong, though.

Take some comfort in the fact that even the Democratic loser in the Hillary/Barack statewide battles has been pulling substantially more votes than McCain in that respective state. It's not straight math, but I'm guessing that at about 4/5ths of the Hillary primary voters are going to end up voting for the Democratic ticket no matter whom its eventual champion is. That, plus the enormous fundraising efforts of the Dems, should prove tough to overcome.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    My Philly dudes,

What's the word on the streets? Can Obama actually take Pennsylvania? Is he gaining momentum? Pundits were previously talking about a double digit beatdown by HC...Is my dude Obama narrowing the gap?

At this point, reasonable Obama supporters are just hoping for a 5 point loss. If Hillary takes 60% of the vote (not going to happen, considering that her biggest win in months, Ohio, only garnered her 54%), then she's got legs going into NC and Indiana. Her camp is banking everything on a late surge.

It's going to be a psychological victory for Hillary either way, considering that the vote will be coming after a - what? - seven week hiatus? There will be enough tabulas effectively rasa-ed (if you will) to raise mutterings about "Hillary's comeback" even though she's got no reasonable shot at it. In fact, the way that the states are parsed out means that Hillary's going to have enough sparse peaks between the Obama victories to carry her on into the convention.

I've heard that Obama is refusing to pay 'street' or 'walk around money' in Philly. That is going to hurt his chance of winning the state.

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-streetmoney11apr11,0,6553901.story?page=1

I've heard that Obama is refusing to pay 'street' or 'walk around money' in Philly. That is going to hurt his chance of winning the state.

Here.