CHAIRMEN OF THE BOARD (no, not Sinatra!)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
...I'm talking about the soul group who helped put Invictus Records on the map with such killers as "Finders' Keepers" and "Give Me Just A Little More Time." Seriously underrated act, although for some reason they get more props in the UK than the US. The Chairmen took the Temptations' concept of multiple leads one step farther - General Johnson and Danny Woods were the soul men, Harrison Kennedy was the wyld black rocker with an affinity for the blues, Eddie Custis was the lounge singer. And after Custis left, the three remaining members put out simultaneous solo albums, some six years before Kiss pulled the same stunt. And while all their records had a definite rock undercurrent, they went all out in 1974 with Skin I'm In, where they were backed up by members of P-Funk. And since quite a few of you have been giving glowing reports to Harrison Kennedy's Hynotic Music, I thought I'd jam the spotlight on the group he came from. RESPECT...

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    we're loving the Chairmen...

The General's overwrought vocal style can be a little too much for some, and it wouldn't surprise me if some folks dismiss the whole output on that basis. For myself, I'd listen to him over most other voices, and you can never fuck with melodies of the calibre of E.James and GMJA Little More Time.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    unbeatable

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    we're loving the Chairmen...

The General's overwrought vocal style can be a little too much for some, and it wouldn't surprise me if some folks dismiss the whole output on that basis. For myself, I'd listen to him over most other voices, and you can never fuck with melodies of the calibre of E.James and GMJA Little More Time.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    unbeatable

Yeah, both General and Harrison both had singing voices that sounded like they were on the pit of anxiety, but they knew how to work it. Danny Woods wasn't as intense, but he definitely had a nice rhythm going on "Finders' Keepers," "Pay To The Piper," and "Working On A Building Of Love."

My first exposure to the Chairmen was when I was a kid, and they appeared on Soul Train with their road band, performing live instead of lipsynching. Based on that, I thought they were a self-contained funk band for years. Harrison even whipped out his harmonica for "Chairman Of The Board"!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    One of my fave soul vocal groups. I have 8 of their 45s & they are all great. I don't actually own an album of them though...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    GMJALMT is an all-time favorite for me.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I love when he drops that shit. The tortured/strained vocals make the song for me.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Did Eddie Custis have a solo lp. don't think I've seen it. They only had like three or four lps. I'm thinking only one solo lp each. Where did they all go?

Did Eddie Custis have a solo lp. don't think I've seen it. They only had like three or four lps. I'm thinking only one solo lp each. Where did they all go?

By the time Danny, General and Harrison put out the solo albums, Eddie had already left the group by then. They were essentially a trio after that; Eddie wasn't replaced.

The Chairmen only had four albums as a group (not counting compilations or later reunion albums aimed at the oldies/beach music circuit). As far as "where did they all go?," General and Danny are keeping a version of the Chairmen going for the southern oldies circuit, while Harrison Kennedy went back to Canada, where he came from, and is now recording as a blues artist for the Electro-Fi label. Don't know where the heck Eddie Custis went, or if he released a solo LP.

• I've only heard "Skin I'm In" and i would say it's a must for fans of early Funkadelic.

I've only heard "Skin I'm In" and i would say it's a must for fans of early Funkadelic.

I used to have the highest respect for the Chairmen for doing a balls-out funk-rock LP, until I learned that General Johnson hated it for that very reason (these were mostly unfinished masters that the P-Funk crew messed around with). I still love the group and the album, but at first I thought General was trying to outdo Mandrill, War, the Ohio Players, and every other rockish funk band you can name.

I would have figured it was an "odds & ends"-type album anyway. The big hit single ("Finders' Keepers") was already a year old by the time the album came out. And oddly enough, Harrison Kennedy is barely heard on this LP at all, yet he's the member of the group that you'd MOST expect to put out an album this freaky.

• SupacatSupacat 46 Posts
    The mid eighties best-ofs on Demon scholed me big time on soul music.

I also remember a "modern soul" 12" by General Johnson 12" with Paul Weller.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Yeah I ride for Chairman of the Board. I also rate Danny Woods solo album Aries - well worth picking up.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    'Come In Out of the Rain' is an all-time favourite COTB track. Great group.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    One of my all time favorites...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    'Come In Out of the Rain' is an all-time favourite COTB track. Great group.

I love their hits, as well as "Men are Getting Scarce" and "Just a Little Understanding".

COTB kick ass.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    The mid eighties best-ofs on Demon scholed me big time on soul music.

I also remember a "modern soul" 12" by General Johnson 12" with Paul Weller.

There was another edition (not the one pictured above, which features a remix by Ian Levine instead) of this single with a remix by Paul Weller. The added synth solo makes it sound a bit like a Style Council track circa "The Cost Of Loving."

Can anybody school me on this one?

Boogie Chairmen?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Morning Glory/Life & Death (PT1)/White Rose(Freedom Flower)/Life & Death (PT2)

is bananas.

That and Feelin'Alright? are the only song i have from them on that Invictus Club Classics double wax that dropped in '99.