[Pics] From the Land of the Rising Sun

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
First time in 3 years that I visited. I just wrote a long-winded post complete with extensive captions and such, but I timed out, so yall will get the short version. Highlights include riding the train (a lot), catching up with friends and relatives, eating, walking around the city, dodging thousands of people, first clubbing experience, dancing with fine half-filipino/japanese chick, first kyabakura (where you pay to drink and talk to gorgeous women, interesting experience), and ofcourse getting sick after 4 consecutive nights of heavy drinking.Here are some pictures.the rideSleeping quarters (where I lay unconscious on many mornings).Cherry Blossoms in full bloomThis is where people get butt naked and head to the hotel bath.How to guide for visitors. What the outside bath looks like Really relaxing atmosphere with the sounds of the river flowing right next to you, while you soak in the hot springs. $120 a night, complete with lavish meals. And at the opposite end of the spectrum...There's never a shortage of people in Tokyo (particularly Shibuya and Shinjuku).Yamanotesen represent.That dude knows the timeIn places like Shibuya, the last trains run around 12am, the first ones leave at 5am. So for those that miss the last train or don't wanna pay to catch a taxi, they spend the night (morning?) at karaoke, bars, or manga kissa (internet cafes usually with seperate cubicles, stocked with complimentary soft drinks, t.v., internet, comic books, mags). So by the time the 5 am trains arrive, people are dragging their feet like zombies toward the station. The scene is pretty hilarious... And finally some record talk. Sad to see that MANY stores had vanished since 3 years ago, but Tokyo still got heat. The Disc Union at Ochanomizu had not one, but two Tribe label records (for market price, I was almost about to cop), and the Disc Union at Shimokita had stuff like Oracy, Al Johnson-peaceful, Bud Powell deep groove, on some boxes on the floor. I didn't do too much record shopping this time around, but I did cop a few nice pieces. After I found Oracy, I find Montgomery Express, and at this point I'm just blurting to myself "Oh gawd..." My first ever $100+ purchase (150). What an incredible recording!! Def worth the hype. Sofrito is solid latin jazz. Betty Davis with clean poster for 20 bucks!!! southern energy is a reish. errol parker is a unique lil NY private fusion record. JB's is a 70s Polydor Japan release that I found for 10 bucks. Come with extensive liner notes talking about "This is Black Man's soul!!!" David Murray is some free jazz.All in all I had a good time. Still diggin'P.S. Yo Sheep, I strolled around Ochanomizu for an hour, but couldn't find East records!! lolMUCH LUV TO JAPAN. Wouldn't mind living there for a year....

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    the last trains run around 12am, the first ones leave at 5am. So for those that miss the last train or don't wanna pay to catch a taxi, they spend the night (morning?) at karaoke, bars, or manga kissa (internet cafes usually with seperate cubicles, stocked with complimentary soft drinks, t.v., internet, comic books, mags). So by the time the 5 am trains arrive, people are dragging their feet like zombies toward the station. The scene is pretty hilarious...

hahaha, you've never seen this shit before in any other city?

i spent the night on plenty of benches in london waiting for that sometimes 7am train, sleeping in parks, staying up walkin around, ect. there was a really craze night that i had in seoul where i vividly remember sleeping in an alley between 2 air conditioner units.

when it's dc/philly/nyc this doesn't happen cause i'll know where i'm going, or have a ride...but foreign cities i don't know how many times i can relate to those dudes

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    So I guess you got your stamp, and your allowed to live in the USA for another three years? Or are you still living here as an illegal alien?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    So I guess you got your stamp, and your allowed to live in the USA for another three years? Or are you still living here as an illegal alien?

What kind of stupid ass question is that. I'm a legal resident in both countries.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Nice flix, Yooch, and nice finds!

Glad you had a good time, I hope I can visit Tokyo someday.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I hope I can visit Tokyo someday.

I've yet to meet anybody who hasn't had a good time in Tokyo. It is a really unique, fast-paced city, much like Manhattan. Worth the price of the plane ticket if only to get lost in a labyrinth of local trains, and check out the plethora of fashionable women.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

What kind of stupid ass question is that. I'm a legal resident in both countries.

Good question because you answered. You mentioned in previous thread you were going to Japan to renew your visa or whatever. Just fuckin with you dude. BTW nice pics, and that silver bike you rode was sweet!

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    great photos yuichi... East is kinda tucked away, I shoulda drawn u a map!