Joe Bataan "Call My Name" LP

DongerDonger 854 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
So glad I stopped sleeping and copped this.Anyone else feel this?Considering it was recorded in 2004, this comes across really great. Updated sound, but not really. Great balance of old and new. There is a sweet disco cut on there too which was a pleasent surprise for me.

Comments

• The title cut is great to start the set off.

Solid album from beginning to end.

For some reason, I seem to remember reading in the notes that Daptone or The Dap Kings or Gabe seemed to have something to do with it? I could be wrong.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

Yeah, Gabe played on it. The whole thing was written and produced by local dude Daniel Collas I believe.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    The title cut is great to start the set off.

For some reason, I seem to remember reading in the notes that Daptone or The Dap Kings or Gabe seemed to have something to do with it? I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure it was recorded at their studio.

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Was recorded at Daptone. The title track is nice!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Modern classic in my opinion.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    nude pics of his daughter plaese thanks.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Is this still in stock anywhere? I need to grab a copy.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

dude you need to stick to your Chad threads.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I like this record. and his daughter is hot. Girlicious is a great show.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

you better hope HE doesn't and read this!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I know wtf

How can you say shit about Kala

I know wtf

Well I like nude pics of any hot girl; I don't discriminate nor inject crypto-racist domination fantasies into it.

I was merely bringing knuckleheaded levity to an otherwise overserious music discussion.

That and I was in the mood for some nude pics.

That and it's April Fools day and you all need to chill.

That I'm gonna go get some coffee.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    stick a double shot of amnesia in it

whatever that means.

• music discussion

• Was there a small tour for this album?

Does he still tour?

• and yeah man that album is great. IMO: I think it's sort of difficult to be able to tackle a variety of styles but Bataan pulled it off really well. Probally one of the few "new funk" type of albums I can say I really liked.

ETHNIC CHIXXX

Joe played a lot of shows around that time, although I don't know that there was a *tour* per se. I recall several shows around NYC, one in Prospect Park at the band shell, and a few in SoCal as well.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I saw him in Barcelona last month. It was funny... I got to my hotel too early to check-in so I just walked around a bit and came across a flyer for the show that just happened to be the next night. Imagine the double, no triple-take I took when I walked by it! The show was great... this album is incredible. Call My Name, Chick a Boom, Cycles of You... all so good.

• Joe played a lot of shows around that time, although I don't know that there was a *tour* per se. I recall several shows around NYC, one in Prospect Park at the band shell, and a few in SoCal as well.

Did you happen to catch any?

Just curious if he stands up against time like Al Green has.

Great tour idea BTW - "Passing the Green Bataan"

I was not fortunate enough to, but the reviews were pretty glowing.

I am sure several on the board can rep the experience.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I heard lots of mixed reviews about the live thing. But Soulstrut loves name brands when it catches a live show so I'm sure it would be ""

Oof! Damn son you dissing the boy Garcia_Vega???

btw I was trying to come see you over at the Cat last Sat night but several shots of Jameson created an insurmountable obstacle.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    btw I was trying to come see you over at the Cat last Sat night but several shots of Jameson created an insurmountable obstacle.

Pass out in your car again Jonny?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I think GV was one of the ehhsayers??? At least at one show.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

btw I was trying to come see you over at the Cat last Sat night

You missed some "jazz punk" bands. Earplugs

Friday was the jumpoff. People were maaaaaaaaaaad drunk. Someone brought a hash pinner

Eh? I thought J**ed and Ch**s were getting it in Sat?

And no IVAN I passed out in my bed. After trying several times and failing utterly to remove my shoes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I heard the Brooklyn show in Dumbo with Joe was a disappointment. One big issue was that Joe's band had been hired to back them (can't remember who ended up doing it...Truth and Soul dudes?) and from people who went to the show, they said the performances came off kind of awkward as a result of the band not knowing the charts as well as they should have. When I asked Joe about it, he liked the gig but he also complained that he didn't get to play with his own band and nor did he play with the guys who recorded "Call My Name" if I recall correctly.

I've seen him twice, out here on the West Coast, but it's to a much different audience: much older, more Latino. Regardless, in concert, dude is GREAT. His voice doesn't have the range or power it might have used to, but it carries more depth now, which is great since he prefers to sing ballads.

"I Wish You Love" = jyeah!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I know wtf

Well I like nude pics of any hot girl; I don't discriminate nor inject crypto-racist domination fantasies into it.

I was merely bringing knuckleheaded levity to an otherwise overserious music discussion.

That and I was in the mood for some nude pics.

That and it's April Fools day and you all need to chill.

That I'm gonna go get some coffee.

nice way to insure the dude never pops in to join on any discussion involving him, in the case that he googles his name and comes across this thread.

Hey, while you're at it...you wanna ask the same of the guys that are here that found this place that very same way? I'm sure Monty or Thes would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE for you to disrespect their family like that. way to go champ.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

I think GV was one of the ehhsayers??? At least at one show.

Yeah, I saw him summer 06 at Prospect Park, met up with deepstank (where's that fol at?). I thought it was kind of ehh, but I was really psyched so my expectations were also high. Sound was kind of off. Didn't help that La Sonora Ponce??a killed it right after.