Songwriting credit as "D.R." or "D.R.A."?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
I see this on Latin LPs all the time, notably on songs where I know there should be a songwriter listed but instead, it says "DR" or DRA" instead. What does this stand for? Google = no help.

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Derechos Reservados?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Public Domain?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So derechos reservados means reserved rights? Or public domain?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    It means "Royalties? What royalties?"

Ha - that's what I'm thinking!

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Yeah, it seems like it's used in lieu of naming (or so as to not name) the actual songwriter(s).

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I see this on Latin LPs all the time, notably on songs where I know there should be a songwriter listed but instead, it says "DR" or DRA" instead. What does this stand for? Google = no help.
    D.R.A. should be Derechos Reservados de Autor (author)

So it was a way to avoid crediting the actual songwriters? Or does it mean they paid rights NOT to have to disclose that? I see it always appear for songs obviously written by someone else.

Honestly I get the feeling they just did this to avoid having to put all the names of the members of a given group. For example I grabbed the 2 closest latin records I had which were both by El Gran Combo and they both had songs with the D.R. mention. If you think about it , it would be impossible to credit all 12 or 13 members on a small label so they just use that to reference the whole group.

Forget about my previous comment. I think you were right. It seems it's a way to not indicate the original artists name and/or maybe even state that they have rights over this specific cover version...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If you think about it , it would be impossible to credit all 12 or 13 members on a small label so they just use that to reference the whole group.

During their heyday, War had seven members, all the group originals were credited to the entire band, and their names still fit on the label.