Competent Funk?

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited April 2008 in Strut Central
Rather predictable tracklisting, but nice call on the Bonnie and Sheila (or is it Sheli[/b]a?). Underrated as all get out.

Comments

• shelia

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    shelia

Well, that's what my promo single's label says. But they're listed here as the more believable "Bonnie and Sheila."

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    They dug "way past the obvious" for this one for shure.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    *EDIT*[/b] The title and first post of this thread have been edited
    and were completely different when I posted the below then they are
    now. This is why I seem to be defending the comp and why dude below
    me uses a "stop disrespectfellatin" graemlin:

Maybe passe to soul heads and crate diggers, but
    aren't Soul Jazz comps aimed at a more mainstream
    audience? For the less schooled, that's a heck of a
    comp, IMO. People need to grab that Warren Lee 45 while
    it's still around cheap. A sick Meters-backed vocal funk
    track that can be had on OG 45 for $25 or less with a
    little patience, much like "Gossip" can be had for, too.

• Maybe passe to soul heads and crate diggers, but
    comp, IMO.

i agree.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    comp, IMO.

i agree.

Hey - I'll never call it bad music; there are some nice tracks on there. But that's not my beef. At least half of these tracks are readily available on CD comps somewhere else. And at the (understandable, but prohibitive) import price, I just don't see the point.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    comp, IMO.

i agree.

yep, no matter the genre, Soul Jazz comps are NOT aimed at diggers but people slightly hipper than average who want some old music... you hear them in every restaurants/bars in NYC aiming at a under 40 crowd... and invariably if you ever DJ a song off one of them, an architect, graphic desgner or PR person comes up to you w/ a satisfied grin...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Okay. Fine. Soul Jazz is fine.

• Okay. Fine. Soul Jazz is fine.

Except when they bootlegged Black Jazz records... or were accused of it by the new owners!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Okay. Fine. Soul Jazz is fine.

Except when they bootlegged Black Jazz records... or were accused of it by the new owners!

Well, that's really a complicated issue involving ownership rights. To my knowledge, SJ actually HAD contacted the legal rights-holder of the Black Jazz label - a man who'd purchased the rights. The relatives of the OG owner were miffed, filed suit, and all shit broke loose. This analysis is reductive at best and misinformed at worst, but I don't think SJ/Universal Sound simply thought, "Hey! Let's steal some music!" a la Radioactive Records. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I don't want to spread rumors.

I don't hate Soul Jazz, but they can do a lot better than this, considering the money they have to toss around seems substantial enough to put some better songs on this NOLA comp.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Rather predictable tracklisting, but nice call on the Bonnie and Sheila (or is it Sheli[/b]a?).

Ah, WHICH Bonnie & Sheila? Is it "You Keep Me Hanging On?"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Rather predictable tracklisting, but nice call on the Bonnie and Sheila (or is it Sheli[/b]a?).

Ah, WHICH Bonnie & Sheila? Is it "You Keep Me Hanging On?"

Yep. Such a solid track.

• they re-issued a nice 45 on Soul Jazz recently
    the song has been featured on the Sister Funk compilation on BBE i think...

it??s nice

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Okay, now I'm confused. Wasn't "Saturday night fish fry" New Orleans funk part 2? I feel chronologically confused - Angry video game nerd fans know the deal.

• This analysis is reductive at best and misinformed at worst, but I don't think SJ/Universal Sound simply thought, "Hey! Let's steal some music!" a la Radioactive Records. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I don't want to spread rumors.

No, i didn't pay that much attention when it happened, but like you, can't imagine Soul Jazz would be stupid enough to think they could get away with bootlegging.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Okay, now I'm confused. Wasn't "Saturday night fish fry" New Orleans funk part 2? I feel chronologically confused - Angry video game nerd fans know the deal.

That's what I thought. Those disorganized bastards.

Personally, I can't really see how a comp like this is overpriced or redundant unless you either have all of the 45s or are a heavy comp collector. If you have all of the 45s, you paid more than $22 for them making this collection a steal (assuming that you're collecting records primarily for the music and not just the collectibility). And if you're a heavy comp collector, doesn't the SoulStrut ethical code define you as a little dude anyway, meaning that you should be sulking in shame right now?

Little dude facetiousness aside, SJ has this ongoing series chronicling New Orleans based funk music, offering legit, decent quality audio coupled with good liner notes. Most of the other comps including these songs were likely bootlegged and did not include liner notes. So should they avoid including a song in their ongoing collection because some bootleg label already released a shitty re-ish of it? If there are in fact legit, quality re-issues of all of these songs then clearly I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. But something tells me that labels like Funky Delicacies were behind some of them.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    But something tells me that labels like Funky Delicacies were behind some of them.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Want to buy an overpriced Funk comp

Hit a blog or soulseek. I'm sure you'll find it cheaper there. :P

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    But something tells me that labels like Funky Delicacies were behind some of them.

They indeed were. Aaron Fuchs is credited on the first two comps for licensing, among other tracks, all the Eddie Bo-related material.