LOST GENERATION on Brunswick

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Skel was asking about this over in the "soul instrumentals" thread. I wasn't about to derail my own conversation (grin!) so I thought I'd give his questions a home of their own:
A little off the subject, but I have been meaning to ask several q???s about this puzzling album for a while.First off: Brunswick???s website and other stuff I???ve seen indicate this is from 1972. However, the reverse of the sleeve has 1970 printed at the bottom???.. strange?Surely ???The Sly, the Slick and the Wicked??? was the 1970 release?
It was. But just like One-derful Records still had a 1963 copyright on their singles even if the record was from '67, that's the way Brunnswick was. It could be from '72, but the copyright on the back would still read 1970, confusing discographers and crate diggers for years.
Second: the album has no sleeve notes, no mention of any group members??? names, nothing. Very odd. But they have time and space to include an ad for the Brunswick Record Club ($2 for a 1 year membership = bargain!). Similar Brunswick output for the time at least has some liner notes???. So was this LP put together in a hurry?
There are a surprising number of vocal group releases from that time that DON'T have the group members' names, for some reason. There are albums by the Temptations, O'Jays, and Harold Melvin & the Blue Notes where they list the entire studio band, right down to the fifth chair in the violin section, yet they somehow neglect to tell you that Teddy Pendergrass (and not Harold Melvin) sang lead with the Blue Notes, or the Temptations traded off leads, or that there was a "third guy" in the O'Jays that seemingly did nothing but sing backup while the other two adlibbed all over the place!You mention the fact that this could be a rushed release. I believe it was. Understand, for the most part the black music industry was STILL a singles medium in the early seventies; I don't think the R&B world got the hang of albums until disco came along. Brunswick could be real bad about that; remember, the Chi-Lites' first three albums had some of the same tracks repeated between them. I'm sure the Lost Generation weren't going to be treated any differently...
And bizarrely, relatives of the groups??? Simon brothers convene for a 2001 LP billed as ???the New Lost Generation???, which really deserves an entry in ???the name of the band??? thread.
I seem to remember that they performed a few shows like that around Chicago at the time. Didn't know there were no originals involved.
Last question: why is it every copy of this album I have ever seen has been stone mint?
'Cause nobody bought it? Not to sound flippant, but none of the songs on that album were hits, and since soul was all about the singles, naturally that one was gonna linger in the bins for a while...

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    thanks kind sir

great background knowledge dropped, puts all my questions into their proper perspective.

I did consider putting a separate thread for the Lost Generation, but I guessed that no-one would/could reply.....and knew that you would, AND that you would return to your own thread at some point! A little underhand, but what the hell.

And now, my search for the id of AJ Tribble must continue....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    A little off the subject, but I have been meaning to ask several q???s about this puzzling album for a while.
    First off: Brunswick???s website and other stuff I???ve seen indicate this is from 1972. However, the reverse of the sleeve has 1970 printed at the bottom???.. strange?
    Surely ???The Sly, the Slick and the Wicked??? was the 1970 release?

It was. But just like One-derful Records still had a 1963 copyright on their singles even if the record was from '67, that's the way Brunnswick was. It could be from '72, but the copyright on the back would still read 1970, confusing discographers and crate diggers for years.

(cf. Jewel with their "?? 1965" mark)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Cameo/Parkway have labels like this, as well. I remember a
    friend trying to tell me "96 Tears" was from 1960 or some shit.