Brooklyn hipsters = Oakland hipsters

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
thought it was about time for another hipster thread. Sisters in Idiosyncrasy (yawn)

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    That chart was a stretch and then some.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    flyover country >>>>>> SF + NY

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    That chart was a stretch and then some.

saying. so yeah, both of these major metropolitain areas have breweries...?

I don't get how Critical Mass enters into it. Most of the hardcore cyclists I know are about as far away from "hipster" as you can get. If they could, they'd gladly roll through the Mission and mow down the 17th/Valencia set.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't get how Critical Mass enters into it. Most of the hardcore cyclists I know are about as far away from "hipster" as you can get. If they could, they'd gladly roll through the Mission and mow down the 17th/Valencia set.

I don't know how they do in Brooklyn or Oakland, but in Chicago the cyclists are definitely mixed in with the rest of the hipster set. To the point where I've seen (and played at) bicycle federation-organized rock shows where all the bands contain at least one member who is down with the two-wheel-without-an-engine crowd.

"Subway Stops: Embarcadero."

WTF?

Mad hipsters at the Ferry Building, yo!

Even "Downtown Berkeley" kinda doesn't make any sense. E. Bay hipsters are not hanging out nor living at shattuck and university.

• Just wait till the boy Mista Wheeler comes in and schools you little dudes on teh game!

• The NY TImes style section tackled just that topic yesterday, with the headline reading, "Sanfrabrooklyn."

Cute.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I luv Anchor Steam!

I luv Anchor Steam!

Hipster.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    We Park Slopers are yuppies, don't get it twisted.

Park Slopers with Bugaboo strollers = Hipster 2.0

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

yeah I was thinking the same thing, I remember someone posted about their "hipster" neighbors and identifying them by their fixed gear bike on their deck. I don't really see track bikes as a hipster thing. That shit takes some dedication and balls and strong legs to stop with.

I aint brave enough for brakeless that's for sure, so I guess I'm not "hip"

The Maclaren vs Bugaboo war is heating up! Which side are YOU on?!?!?!?!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts

Most Critical Mass riders aren't hardcore cyclists.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,632 Posts
    How did that have anything to do with Oakland?
    Ghost Town. What.

Oakland's packed full of them but you only really see them at night. Serious.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

I don't really see track bikes as a hipster thing. That shit takes some dedication and balls and strong legs to stop with.

I aint brave enough for brakeless that's for sure, so I guess I'm not "hip"

I hear you, but in SF the majority of track bikers seem like hipsters to me. Or at least there is a hipster track biker scene. tiny pants, hipster hair, facial hair.

I agree that it seems to difficult to be a hipster thing. I can't fuck with a bike with no brakes and it doesn't seem like a "hey that's cool, I'll do that" kind of thing that hipsters would grab on to. The fixed gear scene here seems pretty hip to me.

• Ok. There's bikers, and there are douchebags. Visited some friends in Oakland a couple weeks back, and we were getting on the MacArthur Bart stop to head back to the airport and home.

TWO DOUCHEBAG FUCKASS HIPSTERS nearly hit my wife as they push to get their bikes on the train. They then parked their rear wheels in front of the door, causing traffic whenever people had to get on and off. Thank you, douchebags, for ruining public transit. And, yes, I would have said something, but my wife hates public confrontation, and it would have been a shitty way to start a red-eye home.

ACROSS THE AISLE, was a young dude and his girlfriend, also with bikes, also got on at MacArthur. They let my wife get on first, and apologized for the other two. Kept their bikes out of other riders way. And, were genuinely pleasant and polite people.

My take? I think what defines a so called 'hipster,' is that they are so intoxicated with their own self-righteousness that it turns them into rude assholes.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I started playing golf. golf is a hellava game.

golf sounds cool, I might pick that up. For now, I'mma get back into BMX and try fuckin with the 30-40 y.o. cruiser class.

The Maclaren vs Bugaboo war is heating up! Which side are YOU on?!?!?!?!

Not Maclaren. Stokke vs. Bugaboo.

And in any case, my sister-in-law offered to buy us a Bugaboo as a baby shower gift and we politely said, "oh hell no." I'm sure it's a perfectly good stroller but why any baby needs a $600 stroller is beyond me unless that f---er walks itself around the block for naptime.

• Eh....i suck at golf.

Tennis is my country club sport of choice.

And, while you may be right about unawareness/rudeness, fuck man... you live in a city! Be aware of those around you, and if I'm gonna love you like my neighbor, you best be aware that I live here too.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Did anyone catch King Of The Hill last nite about "hipsters".

Peggy - I have to go sell a loft too someone named Dj Peanut Butter.
    Hank - Are they ALL DJs?
    Peggy - Yes, yes they are all DJs.
    (quoted from memory)

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    haterating on hipsters is so 3 years ago. love thy neighbor.

Word. I don't let such trivialities rent space in my mind garden.

DAMN those schitts have come a long way since I was a kid....

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    My take? I think what defines a so called 'hipster,' is that they are so intoxicated with their own self-righteousness that it turns them into rude assholes.

yea I hear ya there. I dont care if someone is lost in trends.. just dont let it pour over onto me in a negative way. I know a whole bunch of kids from oakland though and they are all making glitch hop and doing shows with laptops cranking out like 5 live edits each bar, BUT they are nice folks and I usually have a good time when I go to the bay.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

Put some D's on it.

a $600 stroller

I bought a $20 umbroller and put $580 in a 529K College Savings plan, yuppies plan for the future

why are we discussing strollers in a hipster thread?!